Author Topic: 64-1/2 F code vin 260 v8 but I have a straight 6 in it with 4 lug all around  (Read 4601 times)

Offline MannyManz

I had that correct vin and the hood is a 64-1/2 as well

Offline Turnall

Manny just to be clear, you say the vin is 5F08F181831 but that the rusted vin shows 1813.  This is what I am questioning.  Does the rusted vin show 1831 or 1813?

Thanks,

Allen

Offline MannyManz

The vin is 5F08F181831 the rusty vin on the driver side is 81831 you can see it on the pictures I have posted. so the rusty side is matching what it has besides the rest of the numbers that are rusted off. I found a parts car with a 302 engine with the 5 lug all around and rear. I am going to take apart and sandblast some items and paint them up and sell the 6 cylinder engine. I will have on craigslist shortly to make some money to put back into this car.

Offline MannyManz

I have redone this air cleaner but I'll sell the engine like this when I'm done

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
As strange as it may sound, I have heard of V8's being replaced with I6 engines.

That's precisely what happened to my '68. The previous owner had a 35-mile [each way] commute, so he took out the S-code 390 and put in a 200 six. He swapped the front springs and put taller gears in the rear end too. I was able to get the original springs, differential and driveshaft from him, but the motor was long gone and I was not able to track it down.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline MattDoscher

Your 200 6 looks real nice!  What is that capacitor looking thing on the valve cover btwn cyls 3 and 4?
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline MannyManz

Just the air leaner is mine. I said that the engine will soon look like this before I sell it

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Your 200 6 looks real nice!  What is that capacitor looking thing on the valve cover btwn cyls 3 and 4?

it is a ballast resistor. it would not be needed on a stock application.
5F09C331248

Offline ChrisV289

Seen them on Mopars...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"

Yes, as others have indicated it is a resistor (like found on Mopars)

The "points" ignition systems on many late 50's thru the 60's, even later till electronic systems took over, all originated as 6-volt systems and when cars became 12-volt, a form of resistor was used to convert the voltage. Ford typically used a "resistor wire" built into the underdash harness. My guess is the engine in the photo was to be used in a less than concours example, possibly a re-wired car.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
I would start documenting date codes on the sheet metal and anything else on the car that has a date code and/or part number.  That info may help shed some light on the story behind the car.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline Dino1

Wouldn't a 64.5 have a 170 CI motor instead of the 200 CI?

Drain holes in the trunk drop offs were different, the door jamb switches had little plastic pads on the door.
And of course there are numerous dates codes all over the car as mentioned.

Their are a hundred things different about the early cars besides the obvious ones.

Offline MannyManz

This 64.5 is coded 260 v8 engine and I have a 6 cyl with 4 lug. Trying to figure it out. I guess it just got swapped out. I am rebuilding a 302 motor and pulling this 6cyl out and selling it. I will post pics when finished. I just put the interior in just to see what it would look like. Looks nice