Author Topic: Correct 1965 K Code Starter?  (Read 5289 times)

Offline mustang65ld

Correct 1965 K Code Starter?
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »
Anyone have any good photos of the correct starter motor for a 1965 K code? Car is an April, 1965 build date car from Metuchen. Also, what is the correct part number for this part? Pics of the end plate, straps, and nose plate of a correct starter for my build time frame would be much appreciated.

Offline BlueK

Re: Correct 1965 K Code Starter?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:09:52 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb, I believe the starters were the same on Ks and non K code 289s.  Flipping thru the Tony Gregory book on hipo mustangs, there's no reference made to starter being any different.
My apologies if this not correct.  You can always post the question on the hipomustang.com site... Eric

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:40:31 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb, I believe the starters were the same on Ks and non K code 289s.  Flipping thru the Tony Gregory book on hipo mustangs, there's no reference made to starter being any different.
My apologies if this not correct.  You can always post the question on the hipomustang.com site... Eric
Starters are the same for hipo or non hipo as far as I have every found. No reason for it to be any different. These starters don't have a metal stamped engineering number but a ink stamped one. Much easier to replicate then the mid 67 on up metal stamped number starter.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mustang65ld

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:54:01 PM »
Yes. I understand the starters are similar. My main concern is ensuring that the armature cover, band strap, and end plate are the correct style as I have seen variations. If anyone has any good pics of one from my build date, factory, for a V8, manual transmission car, then I would be much appreciative. Since my car was missing the starter when I got it, I have nothing to reference from.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
I am guessing this one is correct.  I thought there would be something about starters in Mannel's book but they are strangely absent.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
I am guessing this one is correct.  I thought there would be something about starters in Mannel's book but they are strangely absent.

Looks like a service replacement. Is that correct?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
Jeff - I suppose it is possible.  Photo taken at Bob P's.  What makes you think so?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline mustang65ld

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »
Jeff. Do you happen to have any pics of OE starters in your collection?

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:17:33 PM »
Here are pictures of the starter on my Aug 64 car. Dearborn, 4v,4 speed. Looks like the one above minus the extra stamp.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »
Jeff - I suppose it is possible.  Photo taken at Bob P's.  What makes you think so?

The markings

Jeff. Do you happen to have any pics of OE starters in your collection?

Not for this application

Here are pictures of the starter on my Aug 64 car. Dearborn, 4v,4 speed. Looks like the one above minus the extra stamp.

Notice the difference in the other stamping? The "frame" is an interesting detail
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:24:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »
Notice the difference in the other stamping? The "frame" is an interesting detail

Interesting.....   :D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »
As a follow up and in an effort not to start afresh I offer the following.

Had cause recently to spend some time doing the graphics for one of the starter stamps used on early Mustangs and thought I would share

One of the originals - the most complete. And the reproduction, quickly stamped and photographed so I can get to the next project Hard to get the shot from exactly the same angle on a surface that isn't flat and of course size of the individual details depends on how hard you press while stamping. Looks like the original they didn't press very hard on the top edge and let off at the bottom edge possibly before it touched the surface of the starter. Bottom of the frame is much more visible on other original examples

Originally they may have rolled the case over on the stamp rather than the other way around. Will not apply any pressure on the finished product ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline wm65

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »
Is the 5EA on the right side a date code?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »
Is the 5EA on the right side a date code?

Date and shift
Jeff Speegle