Author Topic: 1967 Lime Gold  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
1967 Lime Gold
« on: October 02, 2017, 02:34:34 PM »
Ah yes, that wonderful color, 1967 Lime Gold.
I do wish Shelby had NOT put the paint code into the VIN, as I don't really like this color. But it must go original.

My painter and I have been looking for good paint codes for Lime Gold, but most of these manufacturer's codes appear to be obsolete. There is an area under the rear valance bumperettes that appears to be good, original paint. We might be using this color to do a paint match instead.

But someone must have painted one of these colors recently.
Does anyone have a recently used paint breakdown/recipe for Lime Gold, using a basecoat/clearcoat system?

For extra credit, how does this compare to the Legend Lime Gold done a few years ago?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline bazza

Re: 1967 Lime Gold
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
For the most popular colour in 67, it is sure not seen that way in current samplings of cars.
Ifound myself looking for a current formulation for the "teal" used on PS pumps, all I had was a colour name from, I think, 62.
As I live in Oz, I approached PPG Australia, gave them the name, under something they have called the Global Access Program, they gave me a current formulation that could be taken to any PPG dealer, and mixed. Perfect match.
At the time, I was asked if I wanted it in BC/CC. I chose to have it in single stage. Got 2 rattle cans made.
I'm nearly a 100 percent sure that PPG was an OEM supplier back then.

For the extra credit, I've seen both, side by side, not real similar.
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
Thanks bazza.

My first car was a 65 Baby Blue (Ice) Coupe -- for a guy, not the best color. At least my 2+2 is Raven Black and the Boss is Calypso Coral. Then again my 2+2 racecar will be Hulk Green, so I must have a thing for ugly colors.

I think we will add some extra metallic, but remain close to the original.

I walked into the sale of this car from my Brother-in-law many years ago, so it's not like I went looking for this color. I think the color died after they painted a quad-zillion Pintos this color  . . .
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
For the most popular colour in 67, it is sure not seen that way in current samplings of cars.
Ifound myself looking for a current formulation for the "teal" used on PS pumps, all I had was a colour name from, I think, 62.
As I live in Oz, I approached PPG Australia, gave them the name, under something they have called the Global Access Program, they gave me a current formulation that could be taken to any PPG dealer, and mixed. Perfect match.
At the time, I was asked if I wanted it in BC/CC. I chose to have it in single stage. Got 2 rattle cans made.
I'm nearly a 100 percent sure that PPG was an OEM supplier back then.

For the extra credit, I've seen both, side by side, not real similar.
A little off subject but since you brought up the example FYI the teal P/S paint was somewhat of a batch paint and varied from one batch to the next. Many times dramatically different shades.  It is hard to mess up the exact shade on P/S Ford Thompson pumps given that reality . You may even have had two sequentially built cars with different shade pumps given the shipment to the factory may have a mixture of two or even three shades on the same pallet/box etc.   Shades in body color paint varied slightly too from one batch to another for various reasons but not as dramatic as the P/S pump paint. Probably because it wasn't as important to be consistent like body paint would be.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »
My brother had a GT500 lime gold with parchment interior.  IMO the interior made the overall car look decent. But colors are probably the ultimate case study for opinions.

There is a lime green fastback 390 auto black deluxe interior non GT car in my go-to junkyard but it is stripped and a rusted out shell.  I suppose there might just be a hiding spot of original paint with no rust or sun damage, I'll take a look sometime and cut it out if found. Maybe someone can use for a color match.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:12:45 PM »
I refer to that color as "slime green".  It rates up there with avocado interiors.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline bazza

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »
A little off subject but since you brought up the example FYI the teal P/S paint was somewhat of a batch paint and varied from one batch to the next. Many times dramatically different shades.  It is hard to mess up the exact shade on P/S Ford Thompson pumps given that reality . You may even have had two sequentially built cars with different shade pumps given the shipment to the factory may have a mixture of two or even three shades on the same pallet/box etc.   Shades in body color paint varied slightly too from one batch to another for various reasons but not as dramatic as the P/S pump paint. Probably because it wasn't as important to be consistent like body paint would be.   
Bob, still of topic, at the time, Richard Smykay, (OZ390 on this forum) told me the same thing.
He had 3 NOS pumps, all varying shades, the mixed paint was exact to only one of them.
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
I would not mess with the formula much IMO. A lot of extra metallic may be obvious. It will hurt the value if the color is noticeably off. That is if investment value is a concern otherwise do as you want and paint it how you like. Lime Gold is very striking when it is fresh and done well. Metallic is tricky to paint. Old single stage paint faded quickly which added to the hate that many have for the color.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:40:10 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 11:25:42 PM »
This car had one repaint, and it did turn it into an avocado . . . after a few years it got flatter and flatter and made it look off.
Speaking of repaint, they taped off the side stripes and painted above and below the stripes! Wow.

This car will be concourse so we will stick to stock, but a few more flakes will be added.
I've seen really good paint jobs of this color and it can be striking. We'll do a number of cards and see how it goes.

Yeah, I've heard 'slime green' many, many times. But since every other Shelby has now been repainted to either red or black, this car will stand out.
The interior is black.
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:28 AM »
BE careful with the "extra" flakes. Don't want it turing out like the old Imron  paint jobs or heaven help looking like a ski boat  ;D
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
I resemble some of these comments. For a paint job done in 1996 it has held up OK, but starting to show its age a little.  This is not a concourse car, just a fun driver leaning towards original.

I must admit green is not my favorite color, but I do receive a lot of compliments of the 4F Medium Lime Metallic 72.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline tvtommy

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »
Mine is NOT true Lime Gold, it has a bit more yellow in it, and looks stunning in the sun.

I'm not fan of greens either, but this seems to be very well done by a previous owner, and a small shop in Nebraska.

'67 Lime Gold Coupe - Rescued in 2006
'65 Wimbledon White Convertible

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »
OK, I must be weird since I like the color!  A few restorations I have done, the customer wanted to keep the color but jazz it up slightly so we went with 2005 Mustang Legend Lime and It looks the same and different at the same time. A bit more metallic than original but looks great!     Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built