Author Topic: Rear Tie Down Brackets  (Read 30992 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rear Tie Down Brackets
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 06:48:59 PM »
Some 69 Examples

9F02Q1348xx - Notice the difference of how the bolts were installed

9R02F1728xx

9R03F1144xx

9T02H1058xx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 12:24:57 AM »
Some hardware shots

67 San Jose tie down hardware

9R02H1315xx tie down hardware

The 67 picture seems distorted so that coarse threads look like fine. The pic of 9R02H11315xx may confirm the use of the same bolts as shown in the 71-73 Assembly Manuals by the lead point tip, 57063-S2. The nuts in both pictures may be 34978-S2, a hi hex cone type.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 02:21:18 PM »
Was it just a preference of the line worker, regarding the orientation of the nut & bolt?   ~ i.e. nut on the inside vs outside of the frame rail.

Seem like most of the pics show the nuts on the outside of the frame rail, but a few have them on the inside.

Just curious if there is a rhyme or reason.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 02:33:03 PM »
Was it just a preference of the line worker, regarding the orientation of the nut & bolt?   ~ i.e. nut on the inside vs outside of the frame rail.

Seem like most of the pics show the nuts on the outside of the frame rail, but a few have them on the inside.

Just curious if there is a rhyme or reason.

Probably just easier carrying the longer bolts already slid into the brackets in his one hand, while holding his nuts in the other  :o OOPS!
Routines are set up when you do things over and over again

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:35:27 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »

The reason I mentioned that is so that members and Marcus could keep an eye open for that detail to see if its plant specific. Sometimes its a results of how the line at that particular plant was set up - what station they were installed at or instructions received by that plant's managers. The one I posted that was different was a Dearborn example while the others were San Jose in that set - like the 70 Dearborn example you posted.

Looks like the 65-67 San Jose was typically done with bolts in plate with a few odd balls here and there - possible a single worker at that station that liked them the other way.

May be nothing or may turn out to be one of those details we discover like the direction of the front spring/shock cover bolts on the earlier cars which is somewhat plant specific

We'll only know if there is a pattern if we pay attention :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:46:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »
jeff all the Dearborn long dual exhaust hooks I have seen were installed like in your first Dearborn pic as it makes more sence to install long bolt with big slip washer on it to be routed from outside inward so big washer helps support thin metal rail where as nut on thick metal hook don't need a washer.  Also installing long bolts on lh side from outside inward has more room to work with since gas tank & trunk floor pan is offset to lh side more than rh.  Its a tight fit on dual exhaust cars with pipes & hangers all ready installed & trying to add hooks afterwards especially on lh side.  I think on assembly line the dualexhaust hooks were installed before exhaust went on as it would have made it easier.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 06:20:41 PM »
Agree these likely were installed prior to the exhaust system - not sure if, at Dearborn, if the direction depended on which style of plate. Take notice of response #17 by Mike - a single exhaust style (ne didn't mention the engine type).

With more examples we might discover more ;)

Right now I'm waist deep in other responsibilities to search through all the 69-70 individual car files in my collection
Jeff Speegle

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
Marcus, here's a shot of bolt heads - unfortunately, there is some corrosion on them and I couldn't make out any markings.  I threw these in some Evaporust right after I took the photo this morning, so hopefully we should get a better look at them in the next day or two...
Here's the '67 SJ attaching hardware straight out of the Evaporust.  I'm not 100% sure that the nut was the original, as I only found one of them in the Ziploc bag with the bolts and bracket...

1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline specialed

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 10:18:17 PM »
yes I looked at mike #17 post & bolts are routed outside inward like I see on Dearborn hooks with the long attached washer bolts & the dual exhaust cougars (like mikes cougar pics) use the short hooks & on dual exhaust cougars there is a lh & rh hook  even thou they look the same they are bent different offset by hook hole as both sides are bent inward & I think the reason the short hooks have that bump at top between 2 bolt holes is so you install them the correct direction cause if you install them with bump toward frame rail hook wont lay flat against frame rail & will rock when bolts are tightened.  Look at ebay auction just completed item # 111607800510  as that is the OTHER type long hook I was talking about in previous post here as that long hook is at a shorter angle & I have never seen them on any vintage mustang but I seen some of them in a ford guys garage years ago & he said they came off a Granada or something like that. ;) :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:41:48 PM by specialed »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 12:35:48 AM »
Here's the '67 SJ attaching hardware straight out of the Evaporust.  I'm not 100% sure that the nut was the original, as I only found one of them in the Ziploc bag with the bolts and bracket...
From my observations -
From the post "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets" in the library section.
20430-S2 Bolt 64-66 This is the same 7/16-14 bolt used to attach bell housings and tail pieces to various MTs. No head marking or grade.
20546-S2 Bolt 64-67 This is the same 7/16-14 bolt used for attaching the V8 bell housing to the engine. No head marking or grade.
55695-S2 Nut 67 A 7/16-14 nut used on the rear bumper.
UNK35 Flat washer 64-67 This washer is not in the AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners, but is available from AMK as B-11754, a GM application.
The new information is the short bolt, 20430-S2, used in 64-66, was also used on the bracket for dual exhaust cars, my info came from a 67 single exhaust "A" code and a 67 "C" code.
The measurements for the flat washer I found should be 0.468ID, 0.875OD, 0.059-0.085T. My originals are as deformed and scratched as yours.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Another one from today's cars

8R02J104xxx tie down

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 11:21:24 PM »
Marcus - Have you seen this?
From Jan 24, 1969 TSB's

Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 02:17:06 AM »
Agree these likely were installed prior to the exhaust system - not sure if, at Dearborn, if the direction depended on which style of plate. Take notice of response #17 by Mike - a single exhaust style (ne didn't mention the engine type).

Jeff, my pics in post #17 are from my 428SCJ car ~ so dual exhaust.  Updated that post with addition of engine type, for future reference.

That TSB is interesting!  So has anyone ever experienced issues because of them?
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 03:29:09 AM »
Thats great Jeff.  I assumed this was something that was being done before 1969 but does not appear from reading this TSB.  I also think at the same time it shows that there really was no program to return these tie down brackets to the assembly plants.  Thats my opinion at the moment.  At least in the last week with all the documentation I have been looking thru I could not find any reference to returning them from parts or service department or anything else. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:42:50 AM by azscj »
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 04:57:10 PM »
Thats great Jeff.  I assumed this was something that was being done before 1969 but does not appear from reading this TSB.  I also think at the same time it shows that there really was no program to return these tie down brackets to the assembly plants.  Thats my opinion at the moment.  At least in the last week with all the documentation I have been looking thru I could not find any reference to returning them from parts or service department or anything else.
Marcus ,the fact that the information sticker was meant to be applied to cars as per the engineering direction in the assembly manuals on every regular production Mustang confirms the application and the intent above and beyond the real life stickers and their remnants that can be found on many cars 65-68 (69 is not in question from your statement). Since we know that the real life reality is that they were sometimes taken off and sometimes not ,the only aspect that can be said is in question is if and how the return procedure was administered. My take on the TSB was that the stickers were being ignored so much that the related service problems prompted the additional attention that the TSB was meant to initiate .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby