Author Topic: Alternator Stator - Color Restoration  (Read 1274 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Alternator Stator - Color Restoration
« on: May 30, 2015, 12:02:41 AM »
In a recent post I asked for suggestions on how to duplicate the color of the exposed portion of an Alternator's Stator. I received some good suggestions and found one of my own as well.

I went to Hobby Lobby looking for Transparent Paint, hoping to find something similar to the Amber Paint used on Turn Signal Bulbs. No one single color was accurate enough but I found that mixing 2 Transparent Air Brushing Paints made it possible to duplicate the color, and when applied with a small paint brush, left some variations in paint concentration that looks like the variations left by the original Resin.

The paint requires Heat Curing which can be done using a Hair Dryer, Heat Gun or just leave the Stator in the Sun for a while. It will take two or three coats to duplicate the appearance of depth that the thicker Resin left originally.

Before painting, clean off any rust, grime, paint, etc. from the Stator using a Wire Wheel Brush; you want nice bare shiny metal to apply the paint to. Be sure that you protect the Stator Windings from any accidental Wire Wheel contact or Solvents to clean off Grime with several wraps of masking tape.  Clean the Metal with Paint Prep or lacking that, Lacquer Thinner will do nicely.

The paint is water based and will come off if rubbed with a moistened rag. Good in case of any mistakes, bad if you're not careful before curing but is easily fixed.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Alternator Stator - Color Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 12:36:48 AM »
Great help for many. Keep us in mind as time passes. Will be interested in how it holds up to the light duty our cars receive

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)