Author Topic: 1968 louvered hood  (Read 12552 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
1968 louvered hood
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
Jeff posted a Marti report for mhubert89 in this thread: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11028.msg65987#msg65987

What caught my eye was the entry for "Louvered Hood". My fastback (San Jose, 2/7/68 actual build date) was built with a louvered hood. The unique special paint color makes it easy to confirm (or should I say extremely unlikely) that the hood has been swapped, as there are sections of the original paint that were covered during a bad repaint that are visible with the hinges and trim removed. And the louvers have overspray of the original color. Yet my Marti report did not list the louvers.

Looking at mhubert's report and one other I found, it appears that a "3" in column 51 of the order image coincides with "louvered hood" being listed on the report. But my column 51 is blank. The two cars with louvered hoods listed were built in March and April, in Metuchen and Dearborn respectively.

That suggests a couple of possibilities:
1) Louvered hoods were still standard equipment in February (in San Jose anyway) and no code was required for them to be installed. That contradicts what others have posted about the louvers being optional after the strike was settled in Nov. '67.
2) My car was not supposed to receive a louvered hood but somehow did anyway.
3) Someone swapped hoods from an identically painted car, or managed to duplicate the original color and finish.

The attached photos aren't great. The color is a bit washed out in the shot showing the bottom of the louvers. The areas that appear whitish under the flaking red paint are the light aqua original color. The color in the photo of the bottom front lip is better. The area that was covered by the front trim has the factory orange peel finish and exactly matches other parts from the car.

My next step is to contact Kevin Marti to see if he has an explanation. In the meantime, it would be interesting to see whether other '68s have "Louvered Hoods" listed and what code is in column 51. (FYI I believe "E" in that column indicates wheel lip molding)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 1968 louvered hood
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 10:57:44 PM »
Without disputing your probability that the hood you have is the original, could you also find the date code on the hood? (usually down towards the middle of the hood, near where the turn light wiring exits the hood)

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 11:22:20 PM »
Without disputing your probability that the hood you have is the original, could you also find the date code on the hood? (usually down towards the middle of the hood, near where the turn light wiring exits the hood)

I don't have access to it right now, I still haven't moved the car here from it's home out-of-state. I'm working off of photos and observations from my last "visitation"  :-[  :)  I will add that to my work list for the next trip.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 11:58:45 PM »
......Looking at mhubert's report and one other I found, it appears that a "3" in column 51 of the order image coincides with "louvered hood" being listed on the report. But my column 51 is blank. The two cars with louvered hoods listed were built in March and April, in Metuchen and Dearborn respectively.

Did I miss something. Where does a NJ example come into the discussion

That suggests a couple of possibilities:
1) Louvered hoods were still standard equipment in February (in San Jose anyway) and no code was required for them to be installed. That contradicts what others have posted about the louvers being optional after the strike was settled in Nov. '67.

Agree that there were allot of cars with the louver hood built - But think your going to need allot more data before you can make this stand the test . Think your jumping the gun - by allot with that assumption

Agree (for your situation) the next step for you is the stamping date of the hood and a good look at the wire feeds
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 12:27:24 AM »
Did I miss something. Where does a NJ example come into the discussion

I don't have a large supply of Marti reports to look at. I only have three examples that relate - my car (San Jose), mhubert's (Dearborn) and one other (Metuchen). I listed the assembly plants in case louvers were handled differently at different plants. I'm hoping other '68 owners can provide more data. Is there a reason a NJ example shouldn't be included? I'm not trying to be sarcastic - was there something different about louvers for NJ cars that I'm not aware of?

Think your jumping the gun - by allot with that assumption

Not making any assumptions. Just listing the possible explanations I can think of and waiting to see if someone can confirm one of them or offer another explanation.
Dave Z.

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »
I have a lot of 68 Reports.
My Dec San Jose car has a louvered hood and image 51 is blank and it also has wheel moldings

Tell me exactly what you are wanting and will look at my reports

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
Not sure if this has any relevance for this discussion, but might help someone in the future ....

My late (7/18/68 Metuchen) FB has the Louvered hood as an option on the Marti, and a "3" under spot 51 in the order image. Also has an "X" on the build sheet under "optional hood"

John

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:53:40 PM »
I have a lot of 68 Reports.
My Dec San Jose car has a louvered hood and image 51 is blank and it also has wheel moldings

Tell me exactly what you are wanting and will look at my reports

I'm looking for a pattern(s) relating the order info to how each car was actually built. For each car, I'm looking at:

1) Assembly plant
2) Actual build date
3) Code in column 51
4) Whether or not "Louvered Hood" and/or "Wheel Lip Molding" is listed on the report
5) To the best extent possible, whether or not the car was built with a louvered hood
6) Any other information that you may feel is relevant. John's mention of his build sheet for example.

Your San Jose car matches my Feb SJ car - built with the louvered hood, but no code in column 51. Perhaps more puzzling that you have the wheel moldings with no code. What is your confidence level that they were factory installed?

In comparison, John's late Metuchen car has a code. Did the date matter? Plant? That's what I'm hoping to determine.

Thanks!!
Dave Z.

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 02:15:36 PM »
high...

original paint car typical San Jose with no build sheet though

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
Have allot of Marti's also - unfortunately many are Calif Specials and GT's that can throw a wrench in these sorts of details it seems

Good luck with the search
Jeff Speegle

Offline dave6768

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 10:11:29 PM »
My 68 was built 7/18/68 in Metuchen with Louvered hood listed on the Marti report as an option and it did have one.  Wheel lip molding was not listed and did not come it.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »
My 68 was built 7/18/68 in Metuchen with Louvered hood listed on the Marti report as an option and it did have one.  Wheel lip molding was not listed and did not come it.

Thank you Dave. On your Marti report, do you have a "3" at position 51 in the order image?
Dave Z.

Offline Oz390

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
unfortunately many are Calif Specials and GT's that can throw a wrench in these sorts of details it seems

Unsure what GTCS or GT have to do with a louvered hood?  Never seen flat/louvered hood noted as included/excluded with either option. ???

Have 4 68's;

San Jose Dec '67 build S code convertible - louvered hood, not noted on Marti, nothing in position 51 on Marti

San Jose Dec '67 Build S code GT coupe - louvered hood, not noted on Marti, nothing in position 51 on Marti

San Jose April '68 build C code GTCS - louvered hood, not noted on Marti, nothing in position 51 on Marti

Dearborn May '68 build X code coupe, - flat hood, not noted on Marti, nothing in position 51 on Marti

I "believe" all to be original to the cars, date codes line up... but no "proof" other than observation.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 02:29:48 PM »
Unsure what GTCS or GT have to do with a louvered hood?  Never seen flat/louvered hood noted as included/excluded with either option. ???

Thanks! Jeff sent me some data too, I'm still processing it. One of the photos showed a window sticker for a GT/CS. It listed "Functional Louvered Hood" as one of the items included at no additional cost under the GT/CS package. I don't know how "official" that is - who wrote the test for the window stickers? Was it Ford corporate, or done at the dealers? I'll post that portion of the photo when I get home this evening.
Dave Z.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
.......... I don't know how "official" that is - who wrote the test for the window stickers? Was it Ford corporate, or done at the dealers? ........

Wrote the "Test?

In any case it depends on the year - Sorry can't recall the year the change came about right this moment. It was a federal "law"  that standardized the company supply them - kept the dealers from Playing games. Had some Senators name connected to the bill

Thing by 68 the change had been instituted

Jeff Speegle