Author Topic: Jack Decals -  (Read 2424 times)

Offline jwc66k

Jack Decals -
« on: June 28, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »
The attached picture of a jack has the original "Jacking Instruction" decal. I removed the jack from the car of the proverbial little old lady that drove her 66 Mustang I-6 AT for years, and then the car was wrecked by her grandson. I assume it is the original, there was no reason to replace it. All I remember about the car is - 66, January (or later) build, San Jose, Hardtop, faded red, black interior (torn seats).
Shown are four reproduction decals, none of which are accurate.
Dimensions, details and comments:
Original - 3/4 X 1 15/16; 3/32 corner R; 0.132 Type height, bold.
Top - 1 X 2; 1/8 corner R; 0.108 Type height, bold.
2nd - 15/16 X 1 15/16; 3/16 corner R; 0.112 Type height, bold.
3rd - 3/4 X 2; 1/8 corner R; 0.110 Type height, narrow.
Bottom - 7/16 X 2; no corner R; 0.105 Type height, narrow.
The reproductions decals came from different "Decal Kits" over many years. The bottom line is to be careful when you order decals.
Jim
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 04:08:59 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Jacking Decals -
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »
The attached picture of a jack has the original "Jacking Instruction" decal. I removed the jack from the car of the proverbial little old lady that drove her 66 Mustang I-6 AT for years, and then the car was wrecked by her grandson. I assume it is the original, there was no reason to replace it. All I remember about the car is - 66, January (or later) build, San Jose, Hardtop, faded red, black interior (torn seats).
Shown are four reproduction decals, none of which are accurate.
Dimensions, details and comments:
Original - 3/4 X 1 15/16; 3/32 corner R; 0.132 Type height, bold.
Top - 1 X 2; 1/8 corner R; 0.108 Type height, bold.
2nd - 15/16 X 1 15/16; 3/16 corner R; 0.112 Type height, bold.
3rd - 3/4 X 2; 1/8 corner R; 0.110 Type height, narrow.
Bottom - 7/16 X 2; no corner R; 0.105 Type height, narrow.
The reproductions decals came from different "Decal Kits" over many years. The bottom line is to be careful when you order decals.
Jim
Not related to the decal but from the side profile it is hard to tell if is a typical SJ jack. That is more a detail seen from looking down from above as the jack is sitting on it's pad. +1 on must be careful buying repro tags.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
Not related to the decal but from the side profile it is hard to tell if is a typical SJ jack.
You may have hit on it without knowing. According to Marcus Anghel's jack write-up, it's a 65 jack, no plant differences. The welded on nut is the giveaway. I'm going to call some little old lady's grandson about this.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
You may have hit on it without knowing. According to Marcus Anghel's jack write-up, it's a 65 jack, no plant differences. The welded on nut is the giveaway. I'm going to call some little old lady's grandson about this.
Jim
Marcus 's well done article can have some additional info added. It is a community effort with the info after all. Marcus did all the heavy lifting putting it together. Two types used in 65/66. One has a solid steel block that the drive is threaded through and the other style has the drive threading through a nut welded on a "U" shaped bracket. Throw in fine and course thread and you have a few variations .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:15:34 PM »
Throw in fine and course thread and you have a few variations .
You are getting close, it's actually a double thread, 7/16-14(7) double, and the crests look almost square cut, or worn. The crests are flat, but possible tilted toward the drive end.
Jim

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:10:08 PM »
...and no date stamps.  Pretty unusual for FORD.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:41:14 PM »
...and no date stamps.  Pretty unusual for FORD.  Brian
It is safe to say most do not have date stamps.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 01:20:51 PM »
You are getting close, it's actually a double thread, 7/16-14(7) double, and the crests look almost square cut, or worn. The crests are flat, but possible tilted toward the drive end.
Jim

I expect the threads are either acme or buttress profile.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.