Author Topic: Insulation and Other Questions on '69 Mach Non-Fold Down Package Tray?  (Read 9321 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I've got a June 5th, Metuchen-built Mach 1 that originally came with a white interior according to the Marti Report.  I've seen some restorations with white package trays with white interior, and some with black package trays with white interior.  Which is correct/original?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 06:25:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Insulation and Other Questions on '69 Mach Package Tray?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:06:41 AM »
So this is for a non- fold down equipped car from what month at NJ?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
Jeff, it's a non fold-down car, built June 5th, 1969, at Metuchen.  Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:44:16 PM »
Jeff, it's a non fold-down car, built June 5th, 1969, at Metuchen.  Thanks!

We lucked out - Had pictures of two examples from NJ  (mid and late year) of the white Mach I interior without fold down

Hope this helps - I see a pattern ;)  Remember standard (not Mach I type) black carpet with only heel pad

Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
What's the best way to replicate the factory sound deadener/insulation on the underside of the package tray on a '69 Mach 1?  This is a Metuchen car, built June 5th, 1969, and it came with the fixed rear seat.  The original package tray was long gone, and the reproduction I bought  didn't have any insulation.  Looking at some parts sites, it looks like several vendors simply sell a cut to fit jute pad, similar to what usually comes on the backside of reproduction carpet.  Would this be the way to go?

Also, I have a question regarding the seat back trim on a fixed rear seat.  I know the metal seat back is painted charcoal black, but what about the trim that mounts to the outer edges?  My car originally had white interior, but it was converted to black long ago.  It's hard to find an original white interior with the fixed rear seat, and when one does turn up online, I usually can't make out what color these trim pieces are.  It seems like I've seen them painted both white and charcoal black. 

By drummingrocks at 2012-05-30

By drummingrocks at 2012-05-30

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 11:55:46 PM »
The package tray I ordered from N.P.D was a piece of carboard steamed to @ 45 degree angle on the end and was molded in col or (black). I sent it back. They do offer a precut insulation pad that goes underneath the shelf and it's the modern day jute style pad. I went ahead and used it as the original was long rotted away. It's not the same material as the original but the same purpose so I went with it. I got lucky and found a nice original package shelf that is made from a fiber type board, a camera case texture and is sprayed charcoal black. I was able to repaint this part with a interior type paint and it came out nice. I on 2 69' mach 1''s with white interior, a San Jose and a dearborn model, both early cars and my hockey stick panels are white, the upper metal trim panel is white as well. The side metal trim that is part of the seat back is the same as the rest of the seat back (charcoal).
  I can't understand why someone can't reproduce a nice fiber board package shelf as it does not look that complicated to make and there is definitely a need for them as most have either speaker holes, sun or water damage or all of the above.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 08:40:19 AM »
Is the jute material you are talking about a light tan fuzzy material?  If so, the color might be close but the texture isn't.  This stuff is smoother/harder than that.  You might be better off trying to find something like a piece of formica or similar building material that has the right color on the back side to replicate the look.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
Here's what most vendors are selling as replacement insulation, it's just a jute padding:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/insulation-package-tray-fastback-1969-1970/p/PTI3/

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
The original material is some sort of pressed board, definitely not a pad as shown in your link.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I'm thinking about trying to make something that will more closely mimic what originally came in the car.  Does the insulation cover only the flat part of the package tray, or does it curve and extend all the way up to the rear window?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »
Hope this helps the discussion

Here is a close up of the insulation material I've always seen under the Mach I package tray or under the rear trim panel on fold down.

Here is a close up of the the side/filler panel. It does appear to be a restored car.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:35:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »
Thanks for all of the help!  I forgot that I had this part laying around, but a while ago I purchased what NPD calls an "anti-rattle pad" for the gas tank on a '69-70.  Although it's way too small, it looks to be made of the same material of the package tray insulation.  It looks like several layers of stiff cardboard bound together, and even has the smooth underside like the package tray liner has.

Here's some pictures of the NPD part, now if only I could get a bigger sheet of that stuff!

By drummingrocks at 2012-06-03

By drummingrocks at 2012-06-03
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:07:02 PM by drummingrocks »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 10:56:13 PM »
Thanks for all of the help!  I forgot that I had this part laying around, but a while ago I purchased what NPD calls an "anti-rattle pad" for the gas tank on a '69-70.  Although it's way too small, it looks to be made of the same material of the package tray insulation. .........

Nahh... ;) not even close bnut it will do the job (of insulating)

That stuff as multiple layers - one being jute. The original is a single pressed layer that is much thinner
Jeff Speegle