Author Topic: 71 Mach 1 trunk  (Read 9088 times)

Offline Ashley

71 Mach 1 trunk
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:19:27 PM »
 Anyone have any photos of trunk sound deadener and spatter paint application?   Any info would be helpful!

Offline nham3407

Re: 71 Mach 1 trunk
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
Mainly pictures of 72 as that was the car I was restoring.  I do have a few from a Boss 351 original paint car that went through Perkins collection several years ago.

The 71 uses the lighter gray and white fleck Zolotone. 

One point to note if you have the folding seat and trap door, the trap door should be installed first as the lower third of it should be oversprayed with trunk paint.  Mine trap door was not completed yet when I painted the trunk so that is a project still to be completed.

I have seen cars with and without the side marker lights painted over with trunk paint.  Mine appeared to have paint on them and they were quite gunky originals so I chose to over spray with spatter.

Hope these help.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:15:48 AM by nham3407 »
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
Couldn't find any clear pictures of the sound deadener as applied to the inner quarters. SO hard to make out the texture with the old fleck paint over it :(

Basically IMHO cover the inner surface staying back from the back edge by 4-6 inches, away from the top edge about the same follow the curve of the wheelwell moving forward but away from it from 6-8" as the pattern travels forward towards the front of the car. Believe like 70 the 71-73 the sound deadener was applied before the quarter panel was attached to the other panels

Here are some pictures I hope will help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Ashley

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »
 Thanks for all replies and photos, is the trunk paint a two part mixture?  Where to buy correct paint for 71 Mach 1.  Thanks,  Ashley

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »
Thanks for all replies and photos, is the trunk paint a two part mixture?  Where to buy correct paint for 71 Mach 1.  Thanks,  Ashley

No one part though many painters will clear coat it since its not very durable. The "flecks" are suspended in the paint mixture so you have to be careful about how its shaken or stirred before spraying

Not sure where to get the right color mixture - you can normally find it under Zolatone  but its all about the specific base color (black, white or gray) the number of different colors and which colors. It was applied to many car makes but each had their own specs it seems. To me the 71's color is more black (base) than light gray used on the 72-73's

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/Splatter-Finishes/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=autopaint&utm_content=zolatone&utm_term=zolatone%20trunk%20paint&utm_creative=b

http://www.quest-ip.com/trusted-brands/zolatone/

Duplicolor, \Napa and Eastwood both make their own brand and colors will again vary. And of course rattle cans will be much more delicate so suggest to clear coat as I did on my last one
Jeff Speegle

Offline nham3407

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 10:16:30 AM »
I purchased my Zolotone through TCP.  Jeff, I must respectfully disagree that the 71 trunk spatter base is more of a gray versus the 72 being more of a black base color.  I have attached both of the color chip pages for 71 & 72.  I would caution you to make sure and follow the manufacturers instructions on stirring the paint.  The color flexs are suspended bubbles in the paint and to aggressive mixing will burst them. I used a Lizard Skin siphon spray gun with a big nozzle and was very pleased with the spray out.  I am not a skilled painter, but for an ameteur I was happy.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
I purchased my Zolotone through TCP.  Jeff, I must respectfully disagree that the 71 trunk spatter base is more of a gray versus the 72 being more of a black base color.  .......

Not really a "disagreement"  - more of a correction:)

No problem - wrote it sort of backwards - thanks for the correction. The correct information getting out is the focus
Jeff Speegle

Offline D1ZX

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
Yes, the PPG charts lists the light spatter codes for 69, 70, and 71 Fords. The PPG Ford charts for 72 and 73 Fords list the darker spatter. I've spent many hours looking at 71-73 Mustangs in junk yards in the 70s, and many hours at a Mustang only yard in the 80s. I have never seen a 71 Mustang with a light colored trunk. At the 429CJ Mustang Megasite we even have pics of 71showing a low mile unrestored trunk, and its showing the dark color???  I
wouldn't go by what you might JUST see on an aftermaket chart, especally if it wasn't updated correctly, or on time? There are plenty of unrestored 71 stangs on ebay showing the dark trunks, and there are also 69-70 big Fords there, showing the lighter gray, as those should. Here is an picture of the light gray from this 69 LTD.

Offline D1ZX

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »
Here's pixs of a 1971 LTD trunk . Look like the dark to me, espescially if you compare it to the gray on the earlier car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 02:44:28 PM »
Here's pixs of a 1971 LTD trunk . Look like the dark to me, espescially if you compare it to the gray on the earlier car.

I think that pictures of cars but built on the same line or plant have little to offer if we're discussing Mustangs. I would choose to use the Mustangs & Cougars as a guide and ignore the other car models. No reason to believe that they even were supplied by the same paint company

Now if this was Concours LTD Forum that would be soemthing completely different ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline D1ZX

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »
The 69-71 fords use the same ppg trunk paint code, and that was the point...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:33:39 PM »
The 69-71 fords use the same ppg trunk paint code, and that was the point...

By "Fords" you mean the big Fords - LTDs.......Since not all Ford products used the same paint code for the trunk ;)

If you were referring to big Ford the paint code for replacing and or repairing was the same all the way back into 65 and possibly earlier though the description changed over the years from a brown gray base to a grey base
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:46:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline D1ZX

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
My MPC states the only spatter paint Ford used was light gray on 65 up, and dark gray on 70 up.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 07:05:20 PM »
My MPC states the only spatter paint Ford used was light gray on 65 up, and dark gray on 70 up.

Guessing that is a late MPC - I was using the individual years (printed in those years) as reference.

IMHO more of what it was and less of what will work ;) like the typical MPC information

Not a big deal nor the focus of the OP's initial request
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike429cj

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
Looking at the picture of the car showing the filler boot it looks like there is no trunk paint overspray on it. I have read that there is now a point deduction for no overspray on the filler boot. Should there be overspray on the filler boot or not?