Author Topic: "Teal" blue power steering pump?  (Read 21392 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: 68 Power Steering Pump Color (again)
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »
The February 1967 date on the pump doesn't fit with a December 67 build date for the car...
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »
Hi Guys!
My first post on this great forum!

Brief introduction of myself:
my name is Michael. I live in Austria, am married an have two incredible boys (9 and 7 yo).  I'm work in the IT department of an hospital, so this doesn't recommend me as the best classic car technician ;)
As of March 2015 I'm the proud owner of a 1968 Mustang Coupe. The car has the 289 engine with 2V Carb. Regarding my Marti Report, the car was built Dec. 1st 1967 in San Jose and delivered to Arizona (Homes Tuttle). The Paint (what's left over respectively shining through the patina ;)) is Gulfstream Aqua ;D Options narrow down to A/C and Power steering.
The car is in preety good shape, no rust and overall is left in a quite original condition.
I got the car from a german guy who bought it last year in Montana.
In Austria there are pretty strict restrictions regarding old cars, so I drive the car only between April and October. In the meantime it sits in a dry garage and gets improvements... and love ;)

That's how I came here...
Right now I'm rebuilding the Power Steering Pump. The FAQ were realy helpful, but my Pump is not ;)
The pump is black, the ID tag reads (see attached pic):
HBA BF
I F
7 B 7
...so I suppose it's a Ford Thomson Pump and should be Teal.
BUT: the pump doesn't look like it's been oversprayed in the past, besides: no paint underneath the ID tag.
As I want to leave the car as original as possible, I would appreciate it very much, if someone could enlighten me and tell which color the pump should have.

Thanks a lot and take care!

Cheers,
Michael
Michael, first welcome. The Ford Thompson pumps were painted the bluish teal batch paint (variations) typically as previously posted. My guess is that the pump had been previously rebuilt stripped of paint and repainted black or reservoir can switched during rebuild. Ether scenario are way more likely then it being a out of the ordinary color compared to all of the others. In any event the pump tag is so obscured from view when installed that you most likely couldn't tell who and when it was built if you tried . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 02:55:36 PM »
Bottom line - yes wrong color for the pump (way easier to just spray it black) and from another time period. Didn't get the time to double check of the can or tag is even correct for the application :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rusty68

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 04:53:03 PM »
Thanks a lot for your fast feedback!
Regarding this site http://www.stangerssite.com/FP_IDchart.html, I suppose, that the pump is correct for 67/68, but the build code is wrong for my Dec. 67 car... this, I can live with, as it's pretty difficult to get original parts in Europe.

I'll try to get the pump sand blasted and will paint it Teal.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Michael
8R01C: 65A F 2K 04M 75 2 1

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
Re: "Teal" blue power steering pump?
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 05:31:40 PM »
Needing clarification here......I know the pump housing is teal.....but what about the front of the pump where the pulley shaft comes out? Is that also teal or is it black. From my old pictures, I know my pump is teal but I can't tell what color the front is.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »
Needing clarification here......I know the pump housing is teal.....but what about the front of the pump where the pulley shaft comes out? Is that also teal or is it black. From my old pictures, I know my pump is teal but I can't tell what color the front is.

Thanks,
Dave
The pump shaft is not painted. If it was there would be a issue in pressing the pulley on.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 12:38:29 AM »
The pump shaft is not painted. If it was there would be a issue in pressing the pulley on.

Hi Bob,
Re-read.....not the pump shaft....but rather the front of the pump where the pump shaft is located. I did a little cleaning and it looks like there are spots of teal here and there on the front.
Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 01:13:23 AM »
Hi Bob,
Re-read.....not the pump shaft....but rather the front of the pump where the pump shaft is located. I did a little cleaning and it looks like there are spots of teal here and there on the front.
Front of pump is painted as the rest of the housing.  Black for TRW and the teal blue for Ford Thompson.

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »
For Jeff......pump markings. Not sure if this was plant specific:
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 03:31:19 PM »
For Jeff......pump markings. Not sure if this was plant specific:

Interesting - never heard nor seen of that one before. Wonder if its a rebuilders marking. Will be on the look out for more examples to try and figure out if its factory

Thanks again 
Jeff Speegle

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »
Very doubtful about it being rebuilt. It came off a '69 Mach 1 that was totaled in '73 with 35k miles on it.
Dave

Offline denonito

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 05:46:53 PM »
Raven,
Do you have the build plant and the engine code for the Mach 1?
Just Curious,
SC Jeff   (I'll use SC to avoid confusion with other Jeff, my last name starts with "S" also, so Jeff S wouldn't work..))
7R01A San Jose built, UEK1xx CA Black/Yellow

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 05:56:20 PM »
Hi Jeff....the car was a Q code car. I'm not sure what plant though. It was dark marroon ( I have the original hood with the original flat black). Trying to figure out where I might find the vin (or other indicators of original plant) since all I have is everything that could have been unbolted from the unibody chassis.
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 05:47:58 AM »
...................since all I have is everything that could have been unbolted from the unibody chassis.

Might want to check for a buck tag in the pile. Lacking that the finish on the shock tower supports, shock/coil spring, hood latch support ......... would lead clues  and narrow it down ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »
I think that p/s pump has been rebuilt & that's a reman ink stamp id as I have never seen that stamp on a factory pump.   Blow up the photo & look at the pump filler neck tube &you can see teal paint under where the black paint has peeled off in spots.