Author Topic: 69 GT350 Sportroof restoration thread - Mostly Drivetrain - Lots of pictures  (Read 9766 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
1- Here are some shots of the engine before the installation

Original gasket were used (white in color with a blue design) since they will remain unpainted.

NOTE/UPDATE: Looking at an original late  69 351W engine its been found that only one spark plug wire (#1) had the protective sleeve, that the angle boots were installed at #8 and at each engine hook plate and that the spark plug wires at the engine hook plates ran between the plate and the engine NOT outside as shown in the pictures below

2- From the top

3- A close up of the engine color on the exhaust manifold as original. We also left some "bare" surfaces on the block and head under the manifolds since it would have been impossible to coat all of these surfaces with the manifold in place (its hard to see in the picture - sorry)

NOTE/UPDATE: Looking at an original late  69 351W engine its been found that only one spark plug wire (#1) had the protective sleeve, that the angle boots were installed at #8 and at each engine hook plate and that the spark plug wires at the engine hook plates ran between the plate and the engine NOT outside as shown in the pictures below

4- Rear of the intake showing finishes, NOS intake gaskets, and machined surfaces of the intake.

5- And after installation.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:06:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Anyway the transmission is  detailed and in. We didn't have any reliable pictures of daubs and marks for the 69 FMX so I left them off. Remember this car will be entered in classes that allow painted surfaces to reproduce natural ones. For high classes the aluminum surfaces should not be so mono-tone IMHO

Enjoy!!

Thanks for viewing
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:53:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Lots of little detailing as the owner sources our part needs.

Radiator and AC is pretty much in. Since no nice lines and fittings are available in reproduction we choose to go with a really nice original set I had.

AC line ends (metal) needs to be redone in dichromate

Real happy that the Dan (the owner) found the correct preformed heater hose (S shaped hose near the top of the picture)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:22:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
PS pump and driveline here. WIll try and post a separate thread on restoring nice (read no pitting) drivelines

Not allot of interesting stuff to take pictures of but refinished the PS pump (wish I had installed it on the engine before the engine was installed :(

Its painted with NPD newest PS blue. Hard to get the contrast set correctly in the picture to show the true color of the pump.

The upper end of the neck and the area behind the tag were shot with a "natural" steel paint before the blue color was applied to reduce the possibility of rusting later. Phosphated high pressure line indexing bracket can be seen at the rear of the pump

Also started to refinish the driveline today. We started with a pretty nice one so it was not that difficult. It was stripped then wire brushed and then sanded to return the surface to a fresh metal look. The using the gun bluing repair fluid the welds were darkened and the metal in the surrounding area darkened as it would be after the welding took place.

Also added the blue stripe down the length of the tube (the tube would have been formed by forming a flat section into a tube then welding it) Usually this take on the look of a darker "blue" stripe with a softer "darkened" area like the other welded areas

Finally the ends were refinished as bare cast iron with bright machined surfaces. Then everything was cleared with a stain clear.

Look for an article describing (with pictures) in another sections of this forum

ID stripes and such added - all done for now - on to the U joints and yoke

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:21:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
A few shots of the rear end installed. Enjoy!

Take notice of ALL the natural machined surfaces that should be there on a finished car

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:08:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline JKWilson

Jeff I've been really curious about how the resto was coming along. Thanks for sharing. I've recently begun disassembly of a car. Following the examples you and Charles have set for documenting and photographing, I've begun the same. I've come to realize how much extra time it adds to a project, though I realize it also saves time in the long run with good references to return to. I have a much greater appreciation for the efforts you guys so willingly share. A big THANKS!!!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline astat1

Jeff, is a drain plug in the fuel tank correct? Is it dependent on month of production? Thanks, Darryl

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Jeff, is a drain plug in the fuel tank correct? Is it dependent on month of production? Thanks, Darryl

Yes the drain in the fuel tank is dependent on when the car was assembled at Ford

Need to check (can't recall at the moment) if we "know" when specifically, the change was
Jeff Speegle

Offline astat1

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I see your car is an early May car. I have a May 26 build, and believe it to be a no drain car. If you get a chance I would be interested in knowing a changeover date and also what would be considered a grey period (either could be correct). Darryl S

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Yes I was reminded (could not find where I listed the build date above) that the completion date was April 2nd.  Making it closer and after your car.

Yes I would guess they may have been a transition period where both styles were installed since it was just a design change and not related to a safety issue (where they have hard end dates due to liability)

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Adding some pictures to this thread for reference for another discussion.

Reproduction front vacuum can being test fitted

Since we choose to use a reproduction we needed to hide the fact that it used a brass fitting for an attachment. We choose to black out the fitting since it was not the right shape and if we choose to go with a silver finish that would only tend to draw eyes to that fact. Not correct but will do until we find a nice original.

Shot of the rear vacuum canister and passenger side firewall finishes

Jeff Speegle

Offline tobkob

Hi Jeff,
Just curious, what is the build date? April 2nd or May?
Thanks

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Hi Jeff,
Just curious, what is the build date? April 2nd or May?

April 2 - very very early big suspension  but with the early style tires originally. Hertz car
Jeff Speegle

Offline tobkob

April 2 - very very early big suspension  but with the early style tires originally. Hertz car
Thanks Jeff, That's what I thought. Mine is an April 7 build with big (KKX) suspension and early tires, also a Hertz car.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline Dennis Y

Hey Jeff, I know this is an old thread but this was the only thread that hit when I searched for fuel tank drain plug and just wanted to verify. My car is a January 8th build so a drain plug would be correct? Thanks, Dennis