Author Topic: Antenna Rattle  (Read 18947 times)

Offline 5F08KGT

Re: Antenna Rattle
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2016, 08:36:49 AM »
Well, Then I'm going to clean mine up well and put a couple of drops of (guessing) Super Glue to the mast where you did.

I'm sure that the new antenna will not be ready in the next 4 weeks.......and I'm attending a show in January.......

Geeze.....people made quality antennas way back in the 50s & 60s that didn't rattle, why is it so hard to do now????

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2016, 12:07:57 PM »
Sooooo, A GREAT man like Monroe passes away, he has thousands of parts, and things in the works, what happened to it all? anyone know?

The folks in NC seem to be a close-knit group, surely someone has to know whats going on........

Everything from his shop is being liquidated.  There are a couple big parts dealers that had first access.  I was given permission to go and look, but I did not go.  At this point, I can't imagine there being much left.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
So sad in Monroe's passing.......I sure hope that The Daniel Carpenter folks do the right thing and produce a QUALITY reproduction antenna that doesn't rattle!

Offline DKutz

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2016, 05:50:53 PM »
My Repop does not rattle, but the reception is less than great.  Hmmm.

1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2016, 06:01:37 PM »
Make sure the antenna reception trim screw is adjusted properly. If not weak AM stations will not come in as well as possible.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »

Mind sharing the brand/manufacturer?

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2016, 01:41:01 AM »

I talked to Monroe about this before he passed away, and just like we are saying here the plan was to put some type of grease inside the antenna sections to prevent the rattling.  If I remember correct he said the originals had something like this. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »
Thanks Marcus!  That seems evedent-that some sort of grease needs to be put in DURING the manufacturing process......

I think Monroe (RIP) was trying to re-invent the wheel that was created way back in the 50s or even earlier....by making an antenna that doesn't rattle......thats sad to me in that whomever is/was making the repros skipped the step of packing grease in them............

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2016, 12:06:21 PM »

Would you mind sharing the brand and/or manufacturer of your reproduction antenna please?

Offline Building 3

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 12:36:12 PM »
When I worked at the neighborhood gas station in the early 1970's the owner told us to grease the antennas of the cars that came in for a LOF (Lube Oil Filter.) We would put grease on the shafts and then move them up and down and then wipe off the excess. This was probably more for ease of movement of the shaft sections rather than anti-rattle, but it may have helped the rattle situation too.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »
I found this yesterday......

Price increased by $20, which isn't bad for a 100% RATTLE FREE ANTENNA, if in fact it is;

http://dennis-carpenter.com/radio-antenna-falcon-%26-comet/p/C4DZ-18813-A/

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2016, 06:06:35 PM »
I found this yesterday......

Price increased by $20, which isn't bad for a 100% RATTLE FREE ANTENNA, if in fact it is;

http://dennis-carpenter.com/radio-antenna-falcon-%26-comet/p/C4DZ-18813-A/
Application posted are for    Fairlane , Falcon and Comet.  It looks similar the the Mustang in the picture despite the apparent different part number. It is hard to tell if it is longer and if base is the same from the picture. I suspect if it was correct for Mustang that they would not miss a opportunity to advertise it as such . It doesn't say anything about being a improved rattle free version.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »
Application posted are for    Fairlane , Falcon and Comet.  It looks similar the the Mustang in the picture despite the apparent different part number. It is hard to tell if it is longer and if base is the same from the picture. I suspect if it was correct for Mustang that they would not miss a opportunity to advertise it as such . It doesn't say anything about being a improved rattle free version.

From my understanding DENNIS Carpenter does the Falcon, Fairlane, etc.....while DANIEL Carpenter does Mustang parts, my understanding is that they are Brothers....

I choose to believe that the previous reproduction antennas were/are made overseas, and the quality shows that, while I choose to believe that the Carpenter folks indeed make THEIR antennas in NC, USA.

I am looking forward to getting the antenna from the Carpenters and giving it a whirl........I sure don't mind paying $90 bucks for a QUALITY, RATTLE-FREE antenna, when the NOS ones are getting down right expensive.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »
From my understanding DENNIS Carpenter does the Falcon, Fairlane, etc.....while DANIEL Carpenter does Mustang parts, my understanding is that they are Brothers....

I choose to believe that the previous reproduction antennas were/are made overseas, and the quality shows that, while I choose to believe that the Carpenter folks indeed make THEIR antennas in NC, USA.

I am looking forward to getting the antenna from the Carpenters and giving it a whirl........I sure don't mind paying $90 bucks for a QUALITY, RATTLE-FREE antenna, when the NOS ones are getting down right expensive.
Yes the carpenters are brothers. It was Danial and Monroe who talked to me about the antenna rattle solution as I mentioned in a previous post . Just curious since I didn't see anything about a new and improved rattle free version are you basing your judgement solely on the price and assuming it is improved or have you got the information another way?  Also you should know that if you are basing your decision strictly by the picture you will be disappointed because the one in the picture most closely resembles a 67/68 antenna. Don't get me wrong we need a 67/68 version too .It has not been available in reproduction before .The top section does not collapse down flush to the second section on a  65/66 antenna . The top section collapses down flush to the second section on the 67/68 antenna.Keep us posted when you get your antenna if one it is rattle free and two if this Falcon ,Fairlane ,Comet C4 antenna is the same as the Mustang C5 antenna in appearance and if it is the 65/6 version or the 67/68 version like in the picture.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2016, 12:37:39 PM »
Daniel is Dennis Carpenter's son.

http://dennis-carpenter.com/dannystory/a/11/
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin