Author Topic: 67 Courtesy Lights Under Dash, on all cars  (Read 13223 times)

Offline socalgt

Re: 67 Courtsey Lights Under Dash, on all cars
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 06:38:01 AM »
I think (means not sure) that they were not standard in the FB.  Convertibles standard makes sense since there is no dome light.  For coupe and FB I think they came either with interior décor (which mine has), or possibly with a "light group" option.  I don't recall seeing a lot of information about the light group, but seem to recall some discussion that it includes these lights.  Additional clarifications from those in the know would be great.
I just reinstalled my overhead console....the map lights can only be operated on and off when either the doors are open or the light switch is rotated to turn on the interior lights...is that correct operation?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 07:01:15 AM »
I just reinstalled my overhead console....the map lights can only be operated on and off when either the doors are open or the light switch is rotated to turn on the interior lights...is that correct operation?

Not by my experience. Not also, going by color code of the wiring harneses.

This connection to the incorrect source SHOULD be inside the A-pillar at the door switch. You may need to pull the kick panel out to sort things out but the green/yelow wire that feeds the console must be incorrectly connected to the black/blue wire of the main underdash harness at or near the passengers door switch. The green/yellow wire (console feed wire/harness) should have a male bullet jumper lead at that end and the male bullet jumper plugs into the door switch while the other female bullet connector plugs into the main underdash harness's green/yellow wire (NOT into the blue/black wire of the main harness)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »
I'd like to double check this, SelectAire cars may be the same length (at least I have seen several that were)
In the morning I'll try and do a bit of research.I found a trunk light with the FOMOCO logo, but the part number indicates it was for a 68.  Do you think the wiring application would  be the same and would work on my 67?.  It is marked as for a 67-68 fastback.

Richard

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 09:13:17 PM »
Obviously it is for a 68, but functionally and appearance are near identicle
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline denonito

Re: 67 Courtesy Lights Under Dash, on all cars
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 11:33:45 AM »
Just from experience, it sounds like the Map light on the console is plugged into the Dome light connector. Seen it done a few times when an overhead was added to a car that didn't originally have an overhead console.

7R01A San Jose built, UEK1xx CA Black/Yellow

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 05:26:29 AM »
Just to throw another log on the fire: I have a Dec 66  built '67 500. It has the short courtesy lamp on the driver's side of the dash and the long on the passengers. As for wiring, the dash harness has provisions for both as well as the glove box lamp assembly.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:53:07 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 06:57:17 AM »
I'd like to double check this, SelectAire cars may be the same length (at least I have seen several that were)
In the morning I'll try and do a bit of research.

Richard
Regarding the passenger side courtesy light bracket:

According to my version of the 1967 Electrical Assembly Manual, just the long bracket was used. Likely turned to the side a bit to miss the air conditioning box when equipped.

My version of the 1968 Electrical Assembly Manual, indicates that the long bracket was used 'without A/C'.

My research shows the driver side or 'short bracket' under dash courtesy light bracket to have a Ford part number of C0AZ-13763-A. Long bracket on the passenger side has a C7ZB-13763-A Ford part number.

Something on the unfinished list of things to get back to:
I've been working on my Select-Aire system the last few weeks & Saturday, I bumped into the evidence that seems to suggest for at least the 1967 Mustang, that Ford intended for the Select-Aire cars to use a "Shorty" courtesy lamp bracket on the right hand side. (same as left side underdash courtesy lamp). See 1967 Mustang electrical assembly manual page 89, (E7-8655-8), bottom left of the page. (same on page 80 for the 6-cylinder cars) The assembly manual cites item #24 as a "270453 BRACKET COURTESY LAMP"

I surely cannot speak to research that suggests otherwise. As mentioned earlier, some of these "differences found" can have a lot to do with previous owners adding the option (it is very easy and very desirable).

This may not help anyone determine what they have found on their example but hopefully it should show what Ford likely intended to be installed. With all research I have done to date, it looks like Ford intended the longer RH bracket to be on all fastbacks & convertbles WITHOUT Select-Aire and the shorter version used on all fastbacks & convertibles WITH Select-Aire. As far as Coupes are concerned, it seems that Ford likely intended these underdash lights as an add-on with the "Courtesy Light Group" option. The Courtesy Light Group would have included an underhood light, trunk light & glove box light AND underdash lights on ALL models. (as noted here: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2013/11/18/1967_Mustang_Specs.pdf )
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:29:59 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »
Our original SJ 11-04-66 connvertible with AC has the short version.

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 01:10:09 AM »
So this post touched on 2 things i`m dealing with on my wife`s 67 Coupe. Having a 66 for as long as I have I was surprised as heck to NOT find under dash lights on her car so I`m adding them.She had already had an overhead console added and I have determined that they used the stock wiring to power the map lights instead of the proper o/h console wire harness,which brings me to the point---The wire comes down from the roof on the drivers side and is connected/part of the wiring harness as it goes forward to the a pillar---will there be a plug at the a pillar area that I can swap so the map lights are powered all the time (green/yellow) ?
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 07:39:25 AM »
There's a two wire female bullet for the glove box, but it's located up from the door jamb a fair ways (18"?) that you could use.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 10:28:01 AM »
...I have determined that they used the stock (dome light) wiring to power the map lights instead of the proper o/h console wire harness,which brings me to the point---The wire comes down from the roof on the drivers side and is connected/part of the wiring harness as it goes forward to the a pillar---will there be a plug at the a pillar area that I can swap so the map lights are powered all the time (green/yellow) ?

Good question. The CORRECT location for an overhead console map light would have been a green/yellow wire run down the passengers rocker panel and would have been connected at the dome light switch on the passengers side to that very green/yellow you mentioned (a few inches away from the right side door jam switch for the dome light).

I cannot verify what the "stock style COUPE" uses to supply the original dome light. (latest EDIT: Read next reply to this thread) Keep in mind that the headlight switch ALSO powered the roof mounted dome light circuit AND other lamps connected to the Black/Blue circuit 53 & 53A. You should be able to locate a basic wiring diagram for the dome lights in the back of an Osborne Electrical Assembly Manual. The wiring diagram may help you a lot if you can read them. ALSO, to keep from having any hazzards, be sure to follow the suggestion of power-down the circuit you are working on (remove fuse and/or disconnect the battery)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:10:51 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »
I've since my last reply to this thread, pulled out the electrical diagram. I think what you ask is rather difficult to explain in a written dialog but could be done. The biggest issue you have is how all of the switches in the basic overhead dome light contribute to the basic dome light function. That being said to further explain that there is only one way to isolate and use the wire you wish to utilize. That connection is in the 3-cavity connector of the tailight wiring harness connector (circuit 53E of the wiring diagram). The problem then continues if a descision to splice into that circuit were made...Where now would you go to get the 12V power?

Summary: Purchase a reproduction wire and thread it into the car some way. Though it was originally connected to the RH door jam switch in the A-Pillar, you could choose to connect it to the LH side door jam switch too. The reproduction (or an original) overhead console green/yellow wire has a jumper-wire built into it, intended (as indicated in the manual) to tie into the circuit 54C (green/yellow at RH dome light switch) without leaving another item disconnected. 

Just an idea (since your intentions aren't along the Concours line of thinking anyways) To avoid trying to thread a wire under the headliner (might not be practical) connect the reproduction (or original if you found one) to the bullet connector of the dome light feed wire. You should be able to find that connector behind the LH 1/4 trim panel. Then thread the new wire up towards the driverd door switch. (the new wire will be way too long now) Shorten the wire as needed (splice or loop up extra length).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:16:58 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 06:16:58 PM »
Yes on further thought (read-- slept on it) running an extra wire down the lh side might be quickest/easiest way. I had torn apart both 1/4 trim panels and that is how I know what they did.
I might just leave this project for later now that I have the under dash lights working and get it all buttoned back up so we can use it.
And while I know it is not strictly concours I do try to make sure stuff is not bojanged together.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »
Interesting.

I will have cad plating ability within the week and dug out my underdash lights so I could prepare the brackets.

The one of the left is driver's (I assume) and the bent one on the right is the pax side.
I think the long one is preferred to prevent the bend so the short one clears the dash.
I gather the hole for the pax side is further aft which requires a bend?

Wondering if I should source the long one ...
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2019, 03:34:51 PM »
This is my experience of over 30 years of restoring these cars but am open to correction! Plus we all know how for "always stuck by the book". All 67 and 68 fastbacks and convertibles had under dash courtesy lights. 67 and 68 Coupes only had the lights if equipped with the courtesy group option. All LH (drivers side) had the short retainer. The RH (passenger side) used the long style retainer on cars without A/C and the short one when equipped with factory Selectaire A/C. 68 becomes a bit hazy as my 68 Deluxe interior coupe without A/C had the short one on the passenger side for some reason. The plant may have run out of the long ones since it was a "Friday" car. My 68 GT fastback has the short style. Interesting that the 67 electrical assembly manual list the long style on page E7-8145-3 mounted with the far right glove box hinge mounting hardware but says nothing about A/C. On page E7-8650-6 in the lower LH corner shows the short style "A/C only" mounted to a small hole in the dash just to the right of the hinge hardware. This style was always mounted with a #10 5/16 hex head screw in my experience. Hope this helps!  Again just my experience.   Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built