Author Topic: Please check my plans for painting-1969 May built Metuchen  (Read 1977 times)

Offline qman

Please check my plans for painting-1969 May built Metuchen
« on: September 11, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
I'm interested in making sure my plans for painting my car are correct.  Let's start with the basics. 1969 May built Metuchen built Sports roof.  We're aiming for the MCA concours driven standards.

1. Rear valance: Red oxide primer on back then attached to the body near the center and painted on the car. Allow over spray to show through between valance and lower rear quarter panel.

2. Rear quarter panel:  Red oxide primer in wheel well followed by body color over spray and then followed by evidence of sound deadener.

3. Rocker panels: when painting allow body color overs spray to show on underside of car.  Follow that with semi gloss black over spray when painting the pinch welds. Aim for a soft line when painting the black on the pinch weld area.

4. Front fenders:  Painted off the car. Wheels wells red oxide primer. followed by body color over spray and then followed by evidence of sound deadener.

5. Front valance and stone shield: Back side of both item painted red oxide and body color on top side. Should their be evidence of over spray on these two pieces?

6. Engine compartment:  The build date indicates that the area above the pinch weld on the firewall should be painted semi gloss black extending up under the cowl cover.  Then evidence of body color over spray through the cowl cover?

7. Inside of "A" pillars painted with the two SEM products.

I think I've seen enough pictures of the interior side and underside of the doors so I shouldn't screw that up ....but you never know. That's a problem with paint, once it's on it's hard to get off!
Qman     
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:49:19 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Please check my plans for painting-1969 May built Metuchen
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 06:14:46 PM »
I'm interested in making sure my plans for painting my car are correct.  Let's start with the basics. 1969 May built Metuchen built Sports roof.  We're aiming for the MCA concours driven standards.

Trailer or driven there are no differences in the prep of the body- "as original" is just that ;)

From my observation of those cars built close to yours.

By your descriptions below it appears you have a non- Mach I standard interior. IF not answers change

. Rear valance: Red oxide primer on back then attached to the body near the center and painted on the car. Allow over spray to show through between valance and lower rear quarter panel.

Attached with all the mounting screws - just not pulled into the body at the ends of the valance till later.  Overspray (slight) though those openings, can be some from the trunk paint application but more of a mist most of the time. As well as direct application of paint onto the rear frame rail and trunk floor through the reverse light openings

2. Rear quarter panel:  Red oxide primer in wheel well followed by body color over spray and then followed by evidence of sound deadener.

Red oxide primer with light gray overspray (from the body application of the same) and some (on the very inner edge/back) of the wheel well) of the floor color. Sound deadener over those extending to the frame rail and flooring on the outer side of the frame, that is visible in the wheel well. Must make sense/match the application of the wheel well sound deadener

Body color over much of the sound deadener and surfaces visible from the wheel well

3. Rocker panels: when painting allow body color overs spray to show on underside of car.  Follow that with semi gloss black over spray when painting the pinch welds. Aim for a soft line when painting the black on the pinch weld area.

Yes - Black pinch weld may reach half the distance (towards the driveline tunnel)  as the body color overspray

4. Front fenders:  Painted off the car. Wheels wells red oxide primer. followed by body color over spray and then followed by evidence of sound deadener.

No sound deadener until the fenders are installed on the car and the car is completed (minus wheel and tires. Amount of sound deadener applied directly to the fender can vary allot. Inner fender panels are the minimum, from there an effort to help seal the splash shields to the fenders. Lastly an over the top surface pass was sometimes applied

5. Front valance and stone shield: Back side of both item painted red oxide and body color on top side. Should their be evidence of over spray on these two pieces?

Back side of the stone guard is often allot less than the valance since the ends (that attach to the fenders) was also painted body color and could produce a fairly decent (still flat and not often enough to produce a glossy final finish)  coat of paint on the back side

6. Engine compartment:  The build date indicates that the area above the pinch weld on the firewall should be painted semi gloss black extending up under the cowl cover.  Then evidence of body color over spray through the cowl cover?

If the car was built during the period where the engine compartment black was applied up to the windshield opening then there should be no body color over that since the black was applied lastly. The reverse would suggest overspray from a repaint or touch up

Cowl cover was painted off the car. Mach I details are different

7. Inside of "A" pillars painted with the two SEM products.

Not sure what two products your referring to. Basically A pillars would be Charcoal if the cars original interior color was listed as "black"

I think I've seen enough pictures of the interior side and underside of the doors so I shouldn't screw that up ....but you never know. That's a problem with paint, once it's on it's hard to get off!

Bottom fifth of door would have been painted (before exterior color applied) with the interior color if not a deluxe interior  or Mach I equipped car

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)