Author Topic: Evaporust and a NOS Catch Hook - Restoration/Cleaning  (Read 3155 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

Evaporust and a NOS Catch Hook - Restoration/Cleaning
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:22:17 AM »
I bought this D9ZZ-16892-A Catch Hook after seeing a bent one in Columbus Ohio at the MCA Grand National Show.

These are not that easy to find. 

I found one on Ebay.  At first glance it looked pretty nice.

When I got it home, maybe not as nice.  More dirty, dusty than anything.

So first thing I always do on these metal parts is spray them down with WD-40 and let it soak in the metal for a day, both sides.

I then scrubbed it with a nylon brush and more WD-40.

It looked better, but still not great.  No rust, just not new looking.

Sprayed it again with WD-40 and let it soak for another day, scrubbed again.   I then thought what the heck, lets see if Evaporust can clean this any better.

I am a big fan of this product.

I washed off the WD-40 off the Catch hook in the sink and put it in Evaporust.

This is after a day of soaking.  Looking amazing.

Taken Out.  Wow, what a difference!  Again the part was not rusted.  I was just amazed at how Evaporust cleaned the metal even after I had scrubbed it.

Now I will treat it with a rust preventive and put it in a zip-lock bag an store it away for future use.

Give Evaporust a try on your part.  It is a lot easier than bead blasting a part.  It works fantastic.
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: Evaporust and a NOS Catch Hook - Restoration/Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »
Was the part zinc coated before you started? According to the Evaporust website (https://www.evaporust.com/evapo-rust-rust-remover), it will remove such coatings:

How Evapo-rust affects coatings

EVAPO-RUST is highly recommended by the NRA gunsmithing school and is utilized by FBI, CIA, NATO and other law enforcement and forensics agencies. EVAPO-RUST is perfect for removing oxide weapon finishes such as Bluing, Parkerizing, Zinc Phosphate, and Browning.

Anodizing, Cobalt Tungsten Carbide, Powder Coating, Chrome, Nickel, Paint, and most other coatings will not be removed as long as they do not contain oxides. EVAPO-RUST will not harm lead or solder points.

Zinc plated is not the same as zinc phosphated, so it may not be affected.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 02:06:13 PM »
I have never used Evaporust before.  When the latch came out the bath was it bare metal or did it still have the original finish on it?  In the pic's it looks black in color prior to the bath and bare metal after?  Did you save the part ID sticker that was on it?
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:52:28 PM »
Wow, that is a huge difference! I am working on my undercarriage this winter and am considering trying it on the zinc chromate coated parts (e.g. Fuel filter bracket, exhaust hangars). I'm just hesitant as I don't want to strip the original coatings off. Have you tried any parts like this in the past?

- 1969 Mustang Coupe #1 - spent 2 years on body work only to be rear ended and having it totaled on the way to the paint shop :(
- 1969 Mustang Coupe #2 - Sold in 2006
- 1993 Mustang Feature Car - In process
- 1994 Ford Lightning - Sold in 2004
- 1994 Mustang GT - runs low 9's at 148mph :)

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »
Kevin,

That is a good question.  I have not tried it on Zinc-Dichromate.  Maybe someone here can chime in, or I would contact Evaporust

http://www.evapo-rust.com/contact-us/
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Offline D0ZZ70MACH

• 1970 Mach 1 Dearborn 11/10/1969
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »
Latch looks great!!!!

I have soaked zinc dichromated parts in evaporust and can tell you tha it does remove the gold tint.  It did not touch the base silver zinc coating however.  Just be careful and try some test pieces if you're unsure.

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:53:29 PM »
Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Looks like I will be going a different direction then.
- 1969 Mustang Coupe #1 - spent 2 years on body work only to be rear ended and having it totaled on the way to the paint shop :(
- 1969 Mustang Coupe #2 - Sold in 2006
- 1993 Mustang Feature Car - In process
- 1994 Ford Lightning - Sold in 2004
- 1994 Mustang GT - runs low 9's at 148mph :)

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 03:49:40 PM »
Latch looks great!!!!

I have soaked zinc dichromated parts in evaporust and can tell you tha it does remove the gold tint.  It did not touch the base silver zinc coating however.  Just be careful and try some test pieces if you're unsure.

Thanks for the info!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 03:53:38 PM »
Was the part zinc coated before you started? According to the Evaporust website (https://www.evaporust.com/evapo-rust-rust-remover), it will remove such coatings:

Zinc plated is not the same as zinc phosphated, so it may not be affected.

I do believe you are correct.  It does look like it has taken off the Zinc Phosphate.  Looks like I will be doing some Zinc Phosphating.  On a positive note, I have a nice clean canvas. :)
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black