Author Topic: Fiberglass interior trim, plastic media media blasted. To prime or..  (Read 4184 times)

1967 eight barrel

Not to prime. That is the question?

The trim panels were plastic media blasted. The upper and lower quarter trim is light colored under the white paint. The seat backs were two different colors. One was black, one was green.. I have bulldog as an agent to help with adhesion, but being the seat backs are dark and they are going to be painted light parchment, I thought perhaps a light grey primer would be wise.  What say you, the peanut gallery!?

-Keith
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:50:09 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fiberglass interior trim, plastic media media blasted. To prime or..
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »
I've found no reason (only reasons not to) to prime any of my interior "plastic" pieces in the past 30 years and never had a problem. Never blasted them with anything though.

Originals 67 seat backs were molded in the original color while rear fastback side panels were a light beige. Never done a color change on 67 seat backs.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:53:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:19:23 AM »
Jeff,
Indeed you're correct. The seatbacks are molded in color. The originals were missing, so a mis-matched set was what I found in good repair. They always seem to be broken around the back bottom edge and were the brackets are riveted to the backs at the top. The bulldog is transparent, and no more than a adhesive promoter.
I am concerned about the primer filling in the grain, for obvious reasons. The seatbacks are on the dark side, and I considered a light undercoat of primer to make sure the color wasn't different than the other panels.

-Keith
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:50:29 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 04:31:00 AM »
Your prime coat is there to promote adhesion of the paint onto the plastic surface and so doesn't have to be very thick. Primers also tend to have poor flow and so they maintain the sharp edges of the grain rather than fill them. You will find that the top coats will cause a greater loss of grain definition than the primer will.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:35:29 AM »
There's an adhesion promoter product, which I believe is nothing more than lacquer thinner in a spray can.  I use it on plastic parts as it helps soften the plastic surface before spraying color.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 07:09:20 AM »
I purchased the Bulldog adhesion promoter. I have never used it before. I thought perhaps post the plastic media blasting It would make the material porous and the paint may soak in. Perhaps the promoter is enough in this case?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:43 AM »
I purchased the Bulldog adhesion promoter. I have never used it before. I thought perhaps post the plastic media blasting It would make the material porous and the paint may soak in. Perhaps the promoter is enough in this case?

I've used the simple "spray of lacquer" before products such as "Bulldog Adhesion Promoter" came onto the market. and it worked extremely well. Advice from old-time painters of cars from the 60's & 70's instructed me too use Dawn dish soap and scrub the crap out of the plastic parts first (expressing ONLY Dawn basic, not the Fu-Fu fragrant or other brands) and just before shooting lacquer-based color coat, spray an untouched by your hands , solid hit of plain old lacquer thinner followed swiftly (within a few minutes) with the color coat. This works well on vinyl upholstery as well, so long as the mix in your paint is designed for flexing.

My results done in 1979 lasted very well for daily driving. I only shot the kick panels, seats (following a mismatch upholstery job), rear quarter trim (vinyl), doors (metal) and dash (metal). I shot all these pieces at one time with the same flex-mix lacquer upholstery paint.

It took many years (+5 years as a daily driver) to wear through,  and then, just some  on the front seats, most notably the beading of the upholstery. The plastic parts never scraped through or wore through.

Again, I am trying some repainted areas on other plastic parts for my current project, including the seat back like the original poster is trying to do. The work there is already finished and on the upholstery and plastic parts, including the kick panels, deluxe seat backs (plastic), & upper and lower consoles, I first shot them with a spray of Lacquer thinner but also used the mist of Bulldog.

I guess we'll see in time how well it lasts! I am also using a light Parchment and the seat backs were BOTH Ivy Green. I DID NOT USE PRIMER and they matched very well to the other lighter based items that were already a mismatched parchment.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
While we are on the subject of painting the interior panels keep in mind that the on a deluxe interior the seat hard back and lower trim are semigloss black along with the kick panels (excellent black unpainted repro kick scott drake panels  available) molded plastic. to restore or freshen them up you have to paint them the original semi gloss black to be assemblyline correct.  The rest of the interior pieces including the dash is painted the dark charcoal metallic NOT semi gloss black. We catch this mistake all the time in concours . I hate telling a entrant that has painted a 67-70 interior semigloss black that they did it wrong. Of course the vinyl door panels and dash pad are also black not charcoal black.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:26:37 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 01:21:08 AM »
Bob,
It's Parchment/White. Same rules apply?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
Bob,
It's Parchment/White. Same rules apply?
Relatively speaking yes.Slightly different .That is a toughy .I don't have much experience with this color combo i am afraid.   Many people match a paint formula to the upholstery they come up with and go with that for everything so it all matchs . You could also take a kick panel and match a formula to that for the hardbacks and lower trim and match the interior panels and doors /dash to the upholstery. I think that there were 3 distinct differences depending on materials(someone correct me if i am wrong)  Maybe someone else has more experience with this color combo in a deluxe interior. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 06:40:52 PM »
Relatively speaking yes.Slightly different .That is a toughy .I don't have much experience with this color combo i am afraid.   Many people match a paint formula to the upholstery they come up with and go with that for everything so it all matchs . You could also take a kick panel and match a formula to that for the hardbacks and lower trim and match the interior panels and doors /dash to the upholstery. I think that there were 3 distinct differences depending on materials(someone correct me if i am wrong)  Maybe someone else has more experience with this color combo in a deluxe interior. 

Now I have a 67 Deluxe interior Coupe, parchment. I caved in and dyed EVERYTHING parchment including the seats, maybe not the best idea going, but after frustrating myself with every turn I took, and getting NOTHING to match any other item, it was the only way to get everything uniform in color. Before I did this as the end result, my seats were one color, door panels were another one color, kick panels a 3rd color....you get the picture. It was getting rediculous :o If suppose, if you can have better results getting a paint store to get a good match to your upholstery, (seats) then what Bob says makes the most sense but you'll still need to get your plastics all to match also. In the end, I ended up just buying the correct color replacement kick panels and shot them at the same time with the consoles and seat backs & quarter trim. (again, mine is a coupe, so I suppose your GT500 would get the rear panels done the same?) I saved some paint back for doing the dash, steering column and doors once I get the body work finished elsewhere.

I've seen some parchment images here at this forum of unrestored 67 fastbacks and it looks to me like on those parchment fastbacks, the rear panels didn't match perfectly either, that or colors changed over time (fading/oxidation) so best wishes on how you figure everything out but I do know I sure am pleased with the results of just plain shooting everything all with one source.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:43:49 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 05:17:46 AM »
Richard,
I have been beside myself for some time. The painted trim looks to be a white. The parchment that was left is MUCH lighter than any sample that I have received from any upholstery manufacturer. TMI's offering is about the color of a pirate map. I elected to NOT use it.
The only thing that was really worthy of any reliable color sourcing was what was protected by the seat side covers on the deluxe interior.
This has become a true source of irritation and outright frustration. The color looks more akin to the '66 white.
I have been driving myself crazy with this issue for years.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
Richard,
I have been beside myself for some time. The painted trim looks to be a white. The parchment that was left is MUCH lighter than any sample that I have received from any upholstery manufacturer. TMI's offering is about the color of a pirate map. I elected to NOT use it.
The only thing that was really worthy of any reliable color sourcing was what was protected by the seat side covers on the deluxe interior.
This has become a true source of irritation and outright frustration. The color looks more akin to the '66 white.

-Keith
Kieth ,those are the kinds of evidence items (sample of material under side trim and picture of it in place) that can be included in a binder of car info that we as concours judges suggest a owner accumulate to explain or give provenance to choices they make . If you choose to go that route. FYI the original interior is refereed to as white as often as parchment.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
Richard,

-Keith

Going soley by things I have read on the internet, my understanding is that a few of the earlier 67 Shelby's DID USE A '66 WHITE, I was hoping Bob Gaines could have confirmed this, at least when it may have been applicable (dates / time frame) As I was writing this, I see he already had chimed in.
Richard Urch

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 07:29:31 AM »
Richard,
I understand the situation, as nothing matches, even from the same supplier and manufacturer.
The kick panels match the V5767 interior paint. As for the spray cans, they just aren't good enough to use where there is any real wear and tear.  That was the upside of the clear I found that is a relatively new product. The sheen can be adjusted, where I can use semi on the seatbacks and more of an eggshell on the balance.
Thanks again, I am really trying to do this right. It's just tough because it's early and it's Parchment/white, or what ever the hell it really is.. >:(