Author Topic: Refinishing/Polishing 67/68 Plastic Fresh Air Vent  (Read 3500 times)

Offline OldMustangGuy

Refinishing/Polishing 67/68 Plastic Fresh Air Vent
« on: April 02, 2016, 05:30:34 PM »
Has anyone developed a good technique for restoring the plastic fresh air vent can? I've experimented with a couple of ideas (in places that can't bee seen fortunately) and can't come up with anything that doesn't make it worse. Will a gloss black paint stick to it?

Offline jwc66k

Re: Refinishing/Polishing 67/68 Plastic Fresh Air Vent
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »
I cleaned my 66 vent "can" with soap and water, then painted it with semi-gloss clear.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 07:38:03 PM »
How did that do in terms of covering the scratches?...I was thinking in my case to do a coat of paint and then clear.

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »
Try Krylon Fusion.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:02:26 AM »
I tried the Krylon and have to say it looks pretty good. Now we'll see how well it adheres. Fortunately that part is more or less out of the way once installed.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »
If the scratches are only minor you can use toothpaste to polish them and return the glossy finish. Also available in a finer grain are plastic polishes and glaze from places like TAP plastics
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:32:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 10:45:15 PM »
I have Novus here. It works great for plastics, especially clear. It can even remove some fine scratches, and even helps hide some blemishes.

-Keith

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=novus+plastic+polish&tag=geminimobiles-20&index=aps&hvadid=22349794&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_48brxno6t4_e

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 11:17:57 PM »
I have Novus here. It works great for plastics, especially clear. It can even remove some fine scratches, and even helps hide some blemishes.

That is the stuff I was referring to that is available at Tap stores locally and online

Been happy with it
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
What is a "Tap" store?  The Novus is formulated for plastics. I used it on the rear convertible windows. You can also use Blue Magic on plastics to good effect. Once again, a modeler's trick.
                                                                                              -Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 11:36:30 PM »
What is a "Tap" store?  The Novus is formulated for plastics. I used it on the rear convertible windows. You can also use Blue Magic on plastics to good effect. Once again, a modeler's trick.
                                                                                              -Keith

As mention in my first post TAP plastics

West Coast chain (Calif to Washington state) that sells fiberglass, plastic,  acrylic plus other similar material sheets, shapes and so on for projects and making things. Place we use to use for supplies for vacuum forming bodies for RC, models and such plus a ton of other things. Last thing I purchased there was thin sheets I used to form a mask (vacuum formed in the oven then placed on a home made vacuum forming frame)  for a Boss 302 intake manifold that was shown in my 69 Boss 302  thread

http://www.tapplastics.com/
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 11:38:04 PM »
Good idea, Jeff!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 12:50:23 AM »
Some plastics information. Starting in 67 or 68, Ford's plastic items, consoles, vents, etc, were made with the mold release included in the plastic (64-66 Mustang plastic parts, consoles specifically, used a spray into the mold as release agent). What this means is for 67 and/or on up, a "special" plastics epoxy must be used or it will peel off, aka won't stick. For 66 and older regular epoxy will work. I found out about this on a 69 Sportsroof with a damaged console and damaged covers for the rear quarter windows. The "special" plastics epoxy will work in almost all situations. TAP Plastics http://www.tapplastics.com/ has this stuff. I don't know the brand name or any other info, so ask them. For me, it's a local store and I go in and ask.
A heads up.
Jim
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:57:55 AM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 03:05:20 AM »
Jim, Permatex makes a plastic specific glue that I used for seat back repairs, as well as some of the fibreplastic panels in the rear of the vehicle. I even used it to fix chips, and made up an edge that was missing. It's called Permapoxy 5 Minute Plastic Weld. I tried the GT Motorsports Plastex repair kit with poor results. However, they do have a block that can be heated and used a a mold. I heated it up, took an imprint from the other seatback, mixed the Permatex and filled up the damaged portion. I picked up the grain of the panel from the other back and it looks good! I twisted and flexed the back, and it's a rock solid repair. It dries in the same color as the bare fibreplastic material.  Just food for thought.
                                                                                          -Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 05:41:16 AM »
Along the same line as a few recent comments, I have some Meguiar's 2-step headlamp restoration products I will adapt for use on my plastic vent. Available at your local parts store if you don't have any of the specialty stores mentioned or don't wish to wait for an online order.

Hmmm...Since I have my AC system all apart & cleaned and a few of these items are plastic (e.g heater plenum, air management plenum, plastic AC elbows), looks like several things could use a good thorough cleaning ;) Maybe try that 2nd stage spray on the fiberglass pieces too ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 01:53:46 PM »
Any polish/wax combo would be ok.  I've used Mother's mag/chrome polish before too.

Personally I wouldn't clear coat unless they were really bad and in that case, would probably do a light coat of plastic/vinyl dye.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin