Author Topic: 1973 Carpet  (Read 1708 times)

Offline More Cowbell

1973 Carpet
« on: April 18, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »
Does anyone know of a source for 71-73 carpet for my coupe that has the correct, rectangular floor insert? I've attached a picture of the original insert from my 36k mile unrestored coupe. Apparently ACC doesn't/won't make the correct insert. Not interested in "it's close enough". Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1973 Carpet
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »
First welcome to the site -- hope we can help with your concours related questions and needs

Unfortunately don't know of anyone that makes what your looking for. You might consider checking to see if they will make a set with no heel pad at all (check the other threads on quality and checking the carpet once you receive it).   Have been able to get them to leave off toe pads in the past

From there you can search and check to see if you can find someone that can attach an original to the new carpet.

Juts a place to start

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline More Cowbell

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
Thanks Jeff for the reply, the welcome, and the suggestions. My original pad is in decent shape but appears to be glued or heat-formed onto the carpet. Not sure if it can be removed for re-installation; I'll mull that over. Dad's 73 convertible had the same rectangular carpet pad on it originally before we replaced it with the standard-issue new ACC carpet. Thanks again! Dale Cole

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:19:53 PM »
Thanks Jeff for the reply, the welcome, and the suggestions. My original pad is in decent shape but appears to be glued or heat-formed onto the carpet. Not sure if it can be removed for re-installation; I'll mull that over. Dad's 73 convertible had the same rectangular carpet pad on it originally before we replaced it with the standard-issue new ACC carpet. Thanks again! Dale Cole

If its usable it can be gotten off or the carpet scrapped/removed  from the back side. Figuring out these things is where restoration comes into the plan - its not just ordering parts and installing them  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline More Cowbell

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 04:14:18 PM »
Been restoring/buying/selling Mustangs/Shelbys since the mid-70s so I know what you mean when it comes to the resto game, although I'm not the stickler for NOS/date-coded parts that I use to be. Just find it funny that carpet with the wrong pad can be made but the correct one can't; it's only a rubber mat! Too many companies claim "correct" when it isn't.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:26:04 PM »
So nice to see that you care !  (Too many cars being built with a Visa and a catalog)

I find the BIGGEST issue with 71-73 "incorrect carpet" is that Ford front was bound and overlapped the center section -REPRO binds the back and overlaps the front.  That is just wrong IMO.

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969