Author Topic: 1967 San Jose Mustang/Shelby fuel sending unit wire routing  (Read 4068 times)

1967 eight barrel

I was looking through my Electrical assembly guide and there is no shown clips for the 63 body. What is correct as far as sending wire retention where it lays across the tank in the trunk?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:15:51 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
1967 San Jose Mustang/Shelby fuel sending unit wire routing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:32:52 AM »
Osborn AM page 30 (E7-8185-1) shows a great view of the breakdown including differences for Model 63 unique taping & clip around the left wheel house. My interpretation of the drawings is that the routing across the tank, inside the trunk is the same all 3 body types from clip, on.  (begin in view-E, seen as item #4:381645-S100. then switch to view-A, then to view-F)

I interpret the differences between the three body types as "Only as how the wiring is taped and/or clipped while exiting the hinge area over the wheel house" (from the taping down to the floor and onward, as: all three body types are the same)

There are photos of the original clip (381645-S100) in a thread over on the SAAC forum (to confirm that Shelby is not different than a Mustang). If a person needs "original" clips and maybe is missing them, pictured also within the SAAC thread are valve cover wiring J-clips next to the correct clip since they can be substituted in a pinch with a little tweeking. 
http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=27117.0
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:15:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 San Jose Mustang/Shelby fuel sending unit wire routing
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »
Adjusted the title to reflect 1967 eight barrel's focus so that we can look at practices at that plant and time period

I was looking through my Electrical assembly guide and there is no shown clips for the 63 body. What is correct as far as sending wire retention where it lays across the tank in the trunk?

For your car, plant, body style and time period there was only one clip/retainer for that wire used. That clip was one placed over the drivers side wheel house pinch weld (over the normally black luggage protector strip) From there over across the trunk the wire was held to the body with a series of short sections of friction/gaffers tape - from my observations and pictures three to four sections were used as illustrated in the pictures of original cars below. Hope this helps

Early style retaining plastic clip - later cars also used the sheet metal style

First tape section on cars closest to your car can be found up here -

Cars a little after your cars date can be found here also

A couple of additional tape stripes to hold wire up and out of the way so that the wire could be installed prior to the installation of the gas tank

For extra credit ;) after the wire exists the trunk it makes a hard turn and is held to the gas tank opening lip with two sheet metal clips/retainers

......There are photos of the original clip (381645-S100) in a thread over on the SAAC forum (to confirm that Shelby is not different than a Mustang). If a person needs "original" clips and maybe is missing them, pictured also within the SAAC thread are valve cover wiring J-clips next to the correct clip since they can be substituted in a pinch with a little tweeking. 

That tread focuses on 69 Dearborn cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:19:40 PM »

That tread focuses on 69 Dearborn cars

Yes, thanks for including that the SAAC thread was for a 69 DAP Shelby. I actually found that page while searching for more information on the 381645-S100 clip called out in the manual. I didn't remember having any such J-clips on my SJ example either but hadn't yet looked into my photos to verify.

Apparently the 67 assembly manual I used as a guide was incorrect...Your pictures are probably great help to not only Keith, but to me also. (I'll go back to sleep now ;) )
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:07:07 PM »
Apparently the 67 assembly manual I used as a guide was incorrect...Your pictures are probably great help to not only Keith, but to me also. (I'll go back to sleep now ;) )

As mentioned that one clip changed during production apparently

Would not expect that the assembly manuals would show details such as this. Plus we know they don't always match or show what each plant did in all details
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 07:14:27 PM »
As mentioned that one clip changed during production apparently

Would not expect that the assembly manuals would show details such as this. Plus we know they don't always match or show what each plant did in all details
Make a notation in your manual to reflect the different details, part number, plant, time frame, info source, etc. This question may come up again and your notes can be used.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »
Make a notation in your manual to reflect the different details, part number, plant, time frame, info source, etc. This question may come up again and your notes can be used.
Jim

FWIW, from the bottom right corner of the 67 Osborn Electrical Assembly manual page 30:

Date 12-7-66    Supersedes  10-14-66
EFFECTIVE WITH CZV1-AF-510445
C7ZB-14A088-A SHEILD (ITEM 5) WAS 372046-S100 CLIP
REVISED VIEW-F & ADDED VIEW-G, REMOVED SECTION A-A

I suppose this demonstrates several running changes if it were possible to fully research. I'm not sure this helps the O.P. and his query but thought it could demonstrate a few changes that seem to have occurred along the way.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:04:52 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
Highlight the engineering change in yellow.
The above still applies.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »
... The above still applies.
Jim
Yes it sure does...I already made notes in my manual.
Richard Urch

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »
Hello,
I apologize for not responding and thanking you all for the research. I have been running my posterior off. The cancer they found is in my adrenal glands too.
I know the vehicle had three clips underneath that the wire was run in. ( Metal with a hook) However, I only saw tape on the left side of the trunk floor with one clip on the wheel well seam. It seemed strange that the 63 body didn't have any retainers like they show on the coupe under a couple of the fuel tank screws.
in the assembly manual.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 07:19:50 PM »
I know the vehicle had three clips underneath that the wire was run in. ( Metal with a hook) However, I only saw tape on the left side of the trunk floor with one clip on the wheel well seam. It seemed strange that the 63 body didn't have any retainers like they show on the coupe under a couple of the fuel tank screws.
in the assembly manual.

No problem we often get side tracked with more important needs at times

Not really strange when you accept that the assembly manual was a guide to what ford and their engineers thought and want to have done but not always what was done.

Really IMHO its easy to understand the tape usage when you realize that San Jose workers used it on all body types (no retaining clips) at your cars that year,  so workers only had to remember one way at that station

67 San Jose coupe examples

Convertible example

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:42:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle