Author Topic: 69 Strut Rod Bushing/washers ?  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Brian Conway

69 Strut Rod Bushing/washers ?
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
Got a little curious about these when forum member Armond posted in the ' Parts Wanted " section these photos of originals ?  Of course the ones on my 69 don't look like these and I would like to correct that if I can.  Measurements of the rods, on my car, reveals that they are 13/16's" round and at the treaded portion they are 11/16's " round.  The rubbers in Armonds pictures seem to carry a C8 number and that's about all I can get from the photos.  The other photo is of an ebay auction.  This, ebay, part has printed instructions on the front, a part number, a solid tube pressed onto the washer and claims to be 11/16's " round ?  Any information on this ?  Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:53:38 AM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: 69 Strut Rod Bushing/washers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »
Aren't the big washers a big block thing?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »
Aren't the big washers a big block thing?
Strut rod washers are the same regardless of big block or small block regardless of year.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:20:36 PM »
Here are a few pics.  You can see the replacement washers are bigger and came from a D0oz kit.  The smaller washers are 69's.  The two sleeves are 68/69. I am not sure about 67.  I have a couple of cars here with the originals still in-tacked and I don't want to take them off. I needed these for my R code coupe as my originals are pitted.  These I found are nice and at the moment just glass beaded.  I will Phosphate before used.  When you take a original strut rod off you can see that Ford must have used a crimping machine to install the bushings because the thinner aluminum sleeve is crimped around the back washer.   I don't have a picture of this unfortunately.  The bushings I currently have are marked D0oa and C8oa.   I am still looking for two non ribbed C8oa-3A140-A bushings.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Armond

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
I remembered I have a 70 parts car that still has the strut rod bushings still in place.  You can see how the front sleeve is crimped against the back sleeve.  I think that Ford did this to pre load the bushings so save time when it came to alignment etc.
MCA#31064

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 04:41:59 PM »
67 has a slightly different profile when compared with 69 when viewed on edge from what i have seen..
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
Have never seen washers with markings indicating "this side forward" or similar on original washers but almost always on replacement examples.

Markings on the rubber bushings can be between NOS (service parts) and originals and there may be some variations if more than one supplier was used and in those cases we should find differences between plants (east to west)

Just posted a group of pictures in another thread covering the disassembly (well partical) of my 69 Boss of the original strut rod bushings that might help address some questions so posting a duplicate set of pictures here also - Hope it helps

Face of front strut rod washer and bushing. Seen a few rattle can passes of black paint over its short 30K miles  :( But it did protect the finish under the black. You can still make out the blue (often found teal also) peeking out through a chip or two in the black. This end is the thinner end of the long inner liner that is forced over to hold the bushing and washers in place and the easier of the two to rework/remove

Back side of the bushing assembly - more black rattle can

After the lip of the inner steel liner was removed with a careful application of a small grinder and some hand tools the assembly (minus front bushing) reassembled to show the order and direction of each bushing as found on car.

Both longer and shorter inner steel liners together

Just the shorter liner. Notice the small amount of markings on the lip of the liner at the bottom

Front and rear washers (painted is the forward washer) Front washer shows a "flying" F in a circle. This "maker's mark" can be found on washers used on both small and big suspension strut washers built at Dearborn at least

C8OA-3A140B rubber insulator markings

Inverted T and a HOC (possibly supplier) markings

Engineering numbers

C8OA-3A225A rubber insulator markings (bottom most is the original)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 07:35:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »
Well Ok.  The pictures and explanations for the originals are very clear.  The ones on my car are most likely the same as the ebay example and I am going to guess are an early aftermarket replacement set.  The aftermarket set has the rear washer and tube backwards from the OE examples as well as having the stamped instructions on the fronts.  Thanks Brian
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:47:19 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »
Well Ok.  The pictures and explanations for the originals are very clear.  The ones on my car are most likely the same as the ebay example and I am going to guess are an early aftermarket replacement set.  The aftermarket set has the rear washer and tube backwards from the OE examples as well as having the stamped instructions on the fronts.  Thanks Brian
Most likely replacements for the reasons you mentioned. I have never gotten a clear understanding for the reverse cupping of the rear washer. It is a common mistake in assemblyline restorations. I never paid much attention given I wasn't going to duplicate the placement. Anyone?

Offline specialed

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
There are 5 different strut rod bushing & washer sets & 4 different strut rods between 67 & 70 depending on the year model & when it was built & suspension changes using different washers  & 2 types of sleeves & several different bushings & hardware changes & some kits have mixed parts from other kits.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 08:12:02 PM »
Re-visiting this topic to ask if there is a correct or approved ' strut rod bushing and washers " repair/restoration assembly available ?  I just did the bushings on my 65 with the Drake C4DZ-3A187-A bushings using my OE washers.  The 69 washers seem to be more ' cupped ' than the 65's ?  The crimped inner tube seems to make this restoration a bit more difficult ?  I intend to use the Drake C6OZ-3A187-A bushings.  Any comment on their accuracy.  Thanks, Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 08:57:55 PM »
Sure we will get a number of comments on this subject

I just did the bushings on my 65 with the Drake C4DZ-3A187-A bushings using my OE washers.  The 69 washers seem to be more ' cupped ' than the 65's ?  The crimped inner tube seems to make this restoration a bit more difficult ? 

Yes the washers are different as are the bushings and such

When I removed my original strut bushings and replaced them a few years back and I did a few pictures of them side by side with the reproduction I choose at that time

Not sure what they used to make the reproductions from but here are some pictures

Second rubber insulator/bushing As you can see a difference in height or thickness depending on how you have it positioned. Not sure if the consent pressure/compression from being installed deforms the shape over time just comparing the two.

Markings were different in a couple of ways.

Found this older thread - but as always things change as far as availability, supply and such
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:07:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
Jack at dead nuts on is right now in the process of reproducing the bushings, the C8OA's and the C6OA's.  I am not sure where he is at with the process, I just know some time ago he hooked up with a manufacture using NOS originals to start the process. 
MCA#31064

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 12:28:51 AM »
In Jeff's 2017 post the #6 photo comment says ' with Flying F'.  Doesn't seem evident in any of the other photos ?  Will be interesting to see the Dead Nuts On version.   

FWIW; the assembly on my car, the one with the backward washer, appear to be the MOOG K8157 model see picture.  Brian
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:13:05 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 05:05:03 PM »
Got a Drake reproduction Strut Rod Bushing Kit C6OZ-3A187-AR.  Would like to share a couple pictures and get your thoughts ?  The washers seem to be decent reproductions with a smooth greyish finish.  Looking at and comparing to Jeff's pictures these rubber bushings also look close to authentic.  Compression and nut torque will play a part here ?  The center pipe/tube is about 2.5" long and may be to short ?  No crimping involved.  The over all assembly is about 3.5"  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.