Author Topic: '69 Fastback rear window and trim  (Read 4276 times)

Offline jmir1981

'69 Fastback rear window and trim
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:03:53 PM »
I'm at a stand still with my mustang restoration.  Anyone know the PROPER way to install the rear window and trim in a fastback?  I have read in most books/forums that a rubber gasket is used, but in a few books I read stated only butyl tape must be used on the rear window in addition to the windshield.  Well I used a rubber gasket and sealer on the backlit and it didn't sit right the first time - leaked like a sieve.  Took it out and tried again.  Got it in much better with no leaks!  Then I tried to install the chrome trim.  Trim will not clip properly.  It seems the rubber seal is too thick and preventing the trim from going down.  Windshield was easy with the butyl tape and the trim (trim has a similar cross section to rear window trim and clipped easily).  How can the cross sections be similar while one has to go over a thick rubber gasket! So, does anyone know if a rubber gasket is supposed to be used?  If so, is there a different size rear trim out there that has a taller flange so it can be retained by the clips?  My trim is all beat up from the feet up and I will have to put new trim on...again.   :(

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: '69 Fastback rear window and trim
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »
The 69-70 fastback has a rubber gasket and the factory used some type of sealer in addition to the gasket. Your problem with the moldings may be due to the rubber gasket being too thick or the moldings could be made wrong if they are reproduction ones. Even if all your parts are original, the back glass molding are a challenge. I would suggest you contact a reputable glass company that either deals in older cars or check with some other classic car people to see who they use for glass work. If your using reproduction moldings I would try at least one original molding to see how that fits and go from there.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007