Author Topic: Engine paint- what would Chuck Norris do? Lol  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Drive Fast

Engine paint- what would Chuck Norris do? Lol
« on: February 15, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »
share your advice. What would you do?

Just before motor and transmission install, I checked one more time on engine color. Looks like my engine builder picked a medium blue rather than dark ford blue. Which is the right color? Would you take the engine apart to paint it dark blue or paint the accessories to match the medium blue?

It's a numbers matching car that could be a good candidate for concourse showing in the future.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine paint- what would Chuck Norris do? Lol
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 12:06:21 AM »

Just before motor and transmission install, I checked one more time on engine color. Looks like my engine builder picked a medium blue rather than dark ford blue. Which is the right color? Would you take the engine apart to paint it dark blue or paint the accessories to match the medium blue?

It's a numbers matching car that could be a good candidate for concourse showing in the future.
I can't speak for Chuck but if it were my engine and strictly going by the choices presented and the way the paint looks in my laptop monitor, the can in the middle looks best of the three. The one on the right is too light and the one on the left doesn't look right ether 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »

Since your going with the rattle can - why guess?  Instead just purchase one of the products already identified in prior threads and go with those suggestions

Looks like you went to the Dupli-Color products already

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »
We handle the DupliColor brand of spray paint in these cans. I gathered up quite a few original valve covers and air cleaners in order to choose the closest matching color. First, I will say that the colors slightly varied over production times.

Second, and most importantly, those caps on the cans are not an exact match to what is inside.

Anyway, in my opinion, the DE1606 is the closest to what starting being used in 1966.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:37:56 PM »
We handle the DupliColor brand of spray paint in these cans. I gathered up quite a few original valve covers and air cleaners in order to choose the closest matching color. First, I will say that the colors slightly varied over production times.

Second, and most importantly, those caps on the cans are not an exact match to what is inside.

Anyway, in my opinion, the DE1606 is the closest to what starting being used in 1966.

+1 on the 1606

Offline Frostbiten

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 11:35:06 PM »
1606 +2
1968 CJ FB Tahoe Turquoise

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 01:12:39 PM »
Chuck would stare at what has already been painted until the color changed to the color he is imagining in his head.

Offline Drive Fast

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »
Thanks 'y'all. Chuck stared at it but nothing happened, so I scrubbed it down with lacquer thinner, wax/grease remover and repainted it. It looks great! Now to put on the accessories and install it...

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »
Next time you paint an engine get a set of old valve covers or completely cover the part of the head under the valve covers.  I've seen people paint that part of the head only to have the paint eventually chip off and partially clog the pick-up screen in the oil pan and clog oil passages.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline Building 3

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:15 AM »
Did you repaint with the 1606? From my monitor it looks much better.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline Drive Fast

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 02:17:02 AM »
Yup. 1606 paint is much darker than were it started.

Had my knee replaced about a month ago, chomping at the bit to drop the motor in. It's sitting on the floor taunting me every time I go out...lol.