Author Topic: 2005-2006 Seat Trim Side Shield Valance Changes  (Read 3285 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
2005-2006 Seat Trim Side Shield Valance Changes
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
Working on preserving the front seats on my April '05 built convertible GT Premium. It has (if pertinent), Side Airbags, Leather Power Drivers seat, manual passenger seat. The plan is to install for a period of time, another set of front seats I can use to "wear out" while storing my 30K mile originals.

I bought another set of seats, apparently out of a December '05 built car. I noticed a difference in the "SNAP" that secures a strap that runs from the seat valance shield to the seat back. I then also noticed the grain of the seat's shield was different also. It seems that in order to use a 2006 seat upper cover assembly in a 2005 car, you will also require the seat shields.

One seat came with a shield (passengers side) but the drivers side did not. I ordered a 2006 version to use for the period of time I am using the 2006 seats. I contacted Ford and my parts guy says the change occurred in mid-December '05

Ford has obsoleted at least the Camel-colored '05 version at this point (possibly other colors also) and has replaced it with a different, "Service Part" version.

You might want to locate & stock-up on these early style seat trims. They are easy to break taking them off and may become very hard to find originals in short order.

See pics showing differences at a glance.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

Re: 2005-2006 Seat Trim Side Shield Valance Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
More pics if it helps...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:45:45 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

Re: 2005-2006 Seat Trim Side Shield Valance Changes
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:58:09 AM »
I Finished installing the drivers seat this morning after finding out the original 2005 seat trim was not the same for a pair of 2006 seats. ( valance shield, whatever name you wish to give it)

A few "before"/"after"/"during" Pics to share.

My ONLY regret in using these 2006 seats in my 30K mile 2005 is these seat trims being different. (again, to preserve the original upholstery from my fat @$$ sliding in and out of the car)

I am however VERY pleased with the finished, reconditioning of the used upholstery and how well the very, very dirty seats cleaned up! (I'll also post a few pics of the filthy used seats I bought)
SEM 17403 Classic Coat was used to recondition the used seat leather inserts. I would say it is a +95% match to a "perfect lighting" comparison and a 100% match if I didn't mention it.

First 4 images are of the USED seats. No seat bottom frames or tracks were provided. The right side shield was provided, so as it turns out, that helped a bunch, needing only the driver's side to complete the conversion.

5th image of the vinyl/leather dye I used.

6th image of my original drivers seat still in place.

7th image of how FILTHY a car can get under the seat, even with much effort to keep it clean.

8th & 9th images are of the passenger seat upholstery switch-out. This was VERY easy to do. Had the seat trim been right, whole job could have been done in under an hour once the reconditioning was finished first.

10th image of the finished passengers seat and

11th & 12th images are of the reconditioned seats bolted back in the car.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:30:03 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch