Author Topic: Autopsy And Anatomy Of A Fuel Sender -  (Read 6500 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Autopsy And Anatomy Of A Fuel Sender -
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 01:36:51 AM »
Thanks Bob. I follow this approach - “The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer”. It sort of rubbed off my father onto me. We both had one shortcoming, too many projects.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »
Super effort there Jim and a never say die attitude goes a long way in this restoration game. Well done!  :)
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:35 PM »
Thanks Bob. I follow this approach - “The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer”. It sort of rubbed off my father onto me. We both had one shortcoming, too many projects.
Jim
That, and "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." and "I won't give up.  I won't give up.  I won't give up."

Stubbornness can be both a virtue and a vice. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 01:56:29 PM »
Stubbornness can be both a virtue and a vice.
Wives and kids?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline xr7g428

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2021, 10:35:19 PM »
Just found this thread.  I rebuild these professionally. When the wiper arm fails I solder in a replacement to the top of the horse-shoe.  The actual contact is a brass half sphere. (think half of a BB).  It has to be the correct length.  I cut the new piece from copper / brass alloy sheets.

The next time I do one I will do a few pictures.  The senders pictured can all be saved.  The most lethal thing is as you expect: rust through.  I can fix a few pin holes, and even line the straight parts with thin wall hard brass tube if needed but there are limits.

I am very happy to explain what I do but you have to have a very steady hand, good magnification, and exceptional soldering skills.  I learned jewellery and watch repair as a kid and some of those skills and tools come in handy.

I got into this so I could make the low fuel sender used on cars with the Convenience Control Panel option work properly.  I have been doing a number of Mustang and other senders for folks that like to keep their cars original.

https://desertclassicparts.com/fuel-sending-unit-rebuilding-service/