Author Topic: 351 C 2v ignition wires??  (Read 2359 times)

Offline 5F08KGT

351 C 2v ignition wires??
« on: July 22, 2017, 10:07:03 PM »
I have a friend with a '72 Gran Torino Sport with a 351 Cleveland 2v engine.

We're looking for correct, new reproduction ignition wires....

I checked on Kevin Marti's site and they indicate that they have been discontinued....

Are the wires for the 4v and CJ version the same?

Any ideas?    Thanks!

Offline Mark69Sportsroof

Re: 351 C 2v ignition wires??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
I got a turn signal switch from "Old Car Parts NW" for my 1968 Mercury Parklane. I spoke with Ray at 425-572-0764.  The actual part was locally by a company named Shee-Mar.  They are located in Longmont, CO.   Hope this helps.  Mark   
Mark
1969 Ford Mustang Sportsroof, 390-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1968
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 351C-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1972

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
Thanks Mark.

I'm wondering what folks do that are restoring '71-'73s with Cleveland engines as far as ignition wires are concerned.......

Are the Cleveland engines just not very popular? wonder why Marti has discontinued making them?

I'm going to shoot him an Email and ask if he can do a special order on a set of wires....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 08:46:07 PM »
Thanks Mark.

I'm wondering what folks do that are restoring '71-'73s with Cleveland engines as far as ignition wires are concerned.......

Are the Cleveland engines just not very popular? wonder why Marti has discontinued making them?

Sure they are not a high volume part. Not sure how long ago they made them or if they were once available. If there are just something that has been dropped you might want to call around to parts houses to see if anyone has some sitting on a dusty shelf. We use to do this all the time when Ford would drop a item from their inventory. Always seemed to turn up a few if you took the time

Worth a shot if they were once available
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70b302cat

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 10:31:02 PM »
If you search for a 72 Mustang they show as "temporarily out of stock" and the description is Motorcraft stamped.  1971 is available but they are Autolite stamped.

Depending on when your engine was assembled they could possibly have "autolite" wires or "motorcraft" wires.

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 06:49:31 AM »
If you search for a 72 Mustang they show as "temporarily out of stock" and the description is Motorcraft stamped.  1971 is available but they are Autolite stamped.

Depending on when your engine was assembled they could possibly have "autolite" wires or "motorcraft" wires.

Thanks! For what we are trying to do I believe the Autolite stamped would be fine.......its an original survivor '72 Gran Torino Sport and presently has a set of weird colored wires.......

Offline nham3407

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 10:12:07 AM »
I pulled my 351C 2V exhaust manifolds this past weekend for ceramic coating. In doing so a couple of the boots from my Marti sourced reproductions wires remained welded to the plug.  Those darn things were stuck solid and I ended up cutting them off.  I also went to Marti's site and noticed the same information.  Honestly, I think he has shown out of stock for a long time on those.  I ended up going to NPD and purchased a set with the 1Q71 stamp and Autolite. Closest I could get for a December 71 build date.  They arrived and are in a Marti Autoworks bag.  Not sure if NPD's inventory was higher or if Marti's decision was to retail through others so he does not maintain the cost of inventory.  Anyhow, check with the other retailers.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline 67_1183

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 10:50:05 PM »
... wires remained welded to the plug.  Those darn things were stuck solid and I ended up cutting them off...
Did you use silicone dielectric grease under the boots on installation? I am guessing not, but let us know.
2nd owner of 1967 GT-500 #1183 since September 1976

Offline nham3407

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »
Did you use silicone dielectric grease under the boots on installation? I am guessing not, but let us know.

Yes I actually did. I think that may have been why the welded themselves on. I do not think it was a high temp version. Autozone has a high temp version I am going to use this time. I hope that combined with the ceramic coating will simplify removal next time.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 09:47:03 PM »
Well I'm going to offer a sugesstion (and not beacuse I want to sell you wires) BUT I DO HAVE SOME!

I was at Bob Perkins and we were talking about levels of restoration and how wrong parts stick out and why you don't need perfectly date coded (service items) in his opinon!

Case in point - while your late 72 car would never had 71 Autolite parts on it...........it would have gotten 72, 73, 74 service parts if tuned with Ford parts, service at a dealer (good chance).

In my case we were talking about Blue oil filters, vs Autolite 69 date code vs Motorcraft.   Bob's position is if you are restoring to line assembled BLUE, if you are restoring to low miles never drivien Autolite and if the car has 50K miles GOOD CHANCE it would have had an oil change or three+ and hense a filter from the 70's.

In your case, I think Motorcraft cap, Motorcraft SIPCON wires are the way to go.   
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
......In my case we were talking about Blue oil filters, vs Autolite 69 date code vs Motorcraft.   Bob's position is if you are restoring to line assembled BLUE, if you are restoring to low miles never drivien Autolite and if the car has 50K miles GOOD CHANCE it would have had an oil change or three+ and hense a filter from the 70's.

I guess this is in reference to buying parts and the defining thought pattern between restored and freshing up a low mileage unrestored car.

Agree your end goal should always guide you to choosing what is best and proper for your specific car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)