Author Topic: NEED HI PO CYLINDER HEAD IDENTIFIED  (Read 1414 times)

Offline barnett468

NEED HI PO CYLINDER HEAD IDENTIFIED
« on: September 27, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

I took these heads off a very good running car last week to install a smaller cam and regular heads since it was just a 289 in a plain 65 coupe which didn't deserve these heads so I am going to sell them as soon as I know exactly what the C5 head is from.

1 head is an early non smog type 67. The other head has a late 66 date with a C5 casting number and I am wondering exactly what it might have come on since the date seems like it would be for an early 67.

CASTING ... DATE

C7ZE .......... 7B3

C50E .......... 6K27

Thanks in advance for any help

Offline jwc66k

Re: NEED HI PO CYLINDER HEAD IDENTIFIED
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:10 AM »
I took these heads off a very good running car last week to install a smaller cam and regular heads since it was just a 289 in a plain 65 coupe which didn't deserve these heads so I am going to sell them as soon as I know exactly what the C5 head is from.

1 head is an early non smog type 67. The other head has a late 66 date with a C5 casting number and I am wondering exactly what it might have come on since the date seems like it would be for an early 67.

CASTING ... DATE

C7ZE .......... 7B3

C50E .......... 6K27

Probable not originally from the same car. After 50 years of hot rodding, anything is possible. C7ZE (a -A to complete the casting number but cast elsewhere on the head) would be for a 67 289HP cast in February 1967. It has provisions for machining to be Thermactor head. The C5OE (also a -A to complete the number) was used from 64 thru 67 as a 289HP head, and cast in October 1966. The difference in casting dates is over three months, possible but not probable (50 years again). Both should have a casting mold number on a tab on the front of the left head (as installed) - you tell me. As HP heads, the rockers should screw into the head in a recess machined into the casting. Everything else needs measurements (valve dia, etc).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline barnett468

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:42:25 AM »
Probable not originally from the same car. After 50 years of hot rodding, anything is possible. C7ZE (a -A to complete the casting number but cast elsewhere on the head) would be for a 67 289HP cast in February 1967. It has provisions for machining to be Thermactor head. The C5OE (also a -A to complete the number) was used from 64 thru 67 as a 289HP head, and cast in October 1966. The difference in casting dates is over three months, possible but not probable (50 years again). Both should have a casting mold number on a tab on the front of the left head (as installed) - you tell me. As HP heads, the rockers should screw into the head in a recess machined into the casting. Everything else needs measurements (valve dia, etc).
Jim

I know what hi po heads are. I have had many of them. I also know theses heads were not installed on the same engine when new. They were installed on different engines so they are mismatched heads. All I want to know is what I already asked which is what did the c5 head come off of? Was it off a 66 or 67 car? It does not see like a complicated question to me but maybe it is.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:45:19 AM by barnett468 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 01:35:05 AM »

I know what hi po heads are. I have had many of them. I also know theses heads were not installed on the same engine when new. They were installed on different engines so they are mismatched heads. All I want to know is what I already asked which is what did the c5 head come off of? Was it off a 66 or 67 car? It does not see like a complicated question to me but maybe it is.
6K27 casting date would be during 1967 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 02:12:51 AM »

Wow - ::)     Think Jim was only offering help since he (nor the rest of the members here) had no way of telling what your level of knowledge was.

Hope this will help

The 7B head would not be for an early 67 but a later second half engine.  So both would have possibly come on 67 Hipo engines if everything else checks out or as service parts that sat on shelves and were later installed as replacements.

Not certain when the Thermactor bump was introduced into the casting of Hipo heads in preparation for the mid April introduction of those systems on Calif delivered cars but would check for that feature/landmark also while your looking
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:26:39 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline barnett468

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:20:14 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I had no idea that they used a C5 casting on a 67 engine as I have never had a hi po head with this date before. I know the 67 C7ZE head I have is worth quite a bit of money to the right person if i had a pair of them but even though the C5 is a 67 head, I cant sell them as a matching pair and don't really know the value of that head. I was thinking of starting at $2400.00 for the pair but don't know if that's too high or too low. I don't want to give them away but I don't want to try and get every last dollar out of them either and I don't want to sit on them for 3 months. The sooner they are gone the better.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:22:59 AM by barnett468 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 04:08:07 AM »
Seems pretty high of an asking price if your referring to US dollar for two heads but then all I can compare them to are others out there for sale from time to time plus not allot of potential customers given the production numbers as you know. At the higher end of the scale potential buyers are going to be assured that they have been checked for cracks, haven't been milled, size of valves and all the other details.  Just more time and investment on your part

Guess put them on Ebay or up on a handful of sites in the for sale sections and see if you get a bite. Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)