Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Firewall Pad restoration

(1/3) > >>

PraireBronze:
Any tips or suggestions for restoring a firewall pad?

I bought a pretty good condition firewall bad for my 65 off of ebay a couple years ago.  As I recall, it's all there (been packed away for awhile), but needs some tears fixed.

67gtasanjose:
It really depends on the condition of your pad. For duplicating or patching the vinyl-like surface, the right stuff for the job is made by Permatex and it is called "The Right Stuff"

I patched together a 67 San Jose Pad using a reproduction pad for a new jute backing, "skinned" the original San Jose style "dimpled" black skin from off of the old jute. Repaired the "skin" using fiberglass mesh on the back side with a clear vinyl adhesive bought at O'Reilleys for a bonding agent and finally applied "The Right Stuff" over the seams of the repairs. A few repairs required waiting for the first application of The Right Stuff to cure. It took a great deal of time and patience but it came out pretty good in my opinion and what I began with was more or less a throw-away, rodent urine-soaked piece of trash.

Hope this helps

OldMustangGuy:
There are a couple of good threads over on the SAAC Forum on this. My 68 GT350 had a pretty bad pad...I didn't use "The Right Stuff" (but that's a good idea)... I used "Shoo Goo" instead to fill cracks, tears, etc.  To bring the surface back to life, I cleaned it with lacquer thinner (go light...you don't want it to soak in) and then sprayed it with a couple rattle can coats of the "Plastic-Dip" rubberized coating. It came out looking great. Others have also suggested rattle can bed liner although one would want to make sure you didn't use the texturized kind if you go that route

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: PraireBronze on October 08, 2017, 10:42:16 PM ---Any tips or suggestions for restoring a firewall pad?

I bought a pretty good condition firewall bad for my 65 off of ebay a couple years ago.  As I recall, it's all there (been packed away for awhile), but needs some tears fixed.

--- End quote ---

Depends on what pad (inside texture differed depending on plant and year). Some have a pattern that is difficult to reproduce while others have a finish that is random much like an application of sound deadener.  The later is allot easier to patch and to hide the patch as you can feather or simply recoat the whole face of the pad after repair

Bossbill:
While at the box store I ended up with another $100 worth of different paint types in order to get the correct effect on certain parts.

The Dearborn/New Jersey firewall pad front looks a lot like a product that I just bought and tested today called Rust-oleum Leak Seal -- a rubber product. This is only a very light , first coat of product application. I can add more on request.

Here is Jeff's pic of the Dearborn/NJ pad:

The attachment shows the Rust-oleum product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version