Author Topic: Talladega exhaust numbers  (Read 8241 times)

Offline Pedro

Talladega exhaust numbers
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:28:21 PM »
I have placed this post in Torino Cobra and other forums with no replies, so with all due respect, I am posting here due to the vast correct knowledge of Jeff and others and hope you can help us.

I recently sourced a concours (needing freshening) Talladega for a friend of mine and it is now in his garage.
Apparently it had not been started for some time and when we got it going, it blew all the accumulated rust out of the exhaust system causing pinholes in the mufflers and tailpipes.
So now we are trying to replace the mufflers and tail pipes with correct ones if this is possible.
In the first instance, the numbers on a muffler are: A <-> B 17882 and 1258 under the 17882
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
Re: Talladega exhaust numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »

Offline Pedro

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »
Maybe Scott Fuller can help.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/page/page/4594567.htm

Thanks John, checked him out but Talladega exhaust it straight through from the resonators.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »
Have you tried this group?
https://www.talladegaspoilerregistry.com/

Also contact Marty Burke in Texas.  He has two of the lowest mileage Talladega's existing.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Marty-Burke-Motorsports-1070387139666926/about/
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline Pedro

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
Have you tried this group?
https://www.talladegaspoilerregistry.com/

Also contact Marty Burke in Texas.  He has two of the lowest mileage Talladega's existing.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Marty-Burke-Motorsports-1070387139666926/about/

Thanks very much for your help, I will contact them both.  :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »
Guess you have already checked the MPC to get the part numbers.  Don't think your going to be able to find assembly line parts or at best I don't think anyone is reproducing them well. This leaves you with used or service replacement mufflers and tail pipes which are going to have different dates and may be slight different in design some way.

Believe that the items were the same as the 69 428CJ Fairlane/Torino parts. Sorry if I'm incorrect as I've only owned one Talladega

Looking at the last MPC they show that by these parts had already been replaced and were being serviced by D0ZZ-5032-R (mufflers) and D0OZ-5255-G &  D0OZ-5255-H (tail pipes) parts :(

You will need to find someone with a 1969 MPC copy that covers that section. Its found in the text, not the illustrated pages, of the manual in section #52.  Have part of a Aug 68 MPC but not that section

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pedro

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 06:36:33 PM »
Thank you very much for your information Jeff.
We have contacted Marty Burke and his advice agreed with your first paragraph.
We'll follow up on the 69 428CJ Fairlane/Torino exhausts.
Regards, Peter.

Offline nham3407

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
Peter glad you reached out to Marty. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable. I will see him and many others at a get together of the registry this weekend. You need to get connected with that group as well. I have for my Cyclone I am building.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline Pedro

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 05:52:48 PM »
Peter glad you reached out to Marty. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable. I will see him and many others at a get together of the registry this weekend. You need to get connected with that group as well. I have for my Cyclone I am building.

I perused the registry site after your suggestion and there seems to be some good Mercury information there. My connection with this Talladega is that I'm very good at finding good cars and sourced it. The owner is a friend of mine who also owns a show quality 69 formal roof Torino GT 429 (not original motor) and is not very computer literate so I'm endeavouring to help him. He phoned and spoke with Marty.

I have a connection with Mercury's, having imported a show quality 66 Cyclone GT 390 top loader convertible and an ex-museum 66 Park Lane 2 door coupe 410/C6. Due to my now ex wife decamping with all my money I now own neither. LOL

Pics ...

Wheels shown here were fitted by American owner - I also had the original wheels with deluxe spokes covers.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:03:34 PM »
My Talladega - well it was for about 9 days   ::)

Original paint, interior, drivetrain, rust free Calif car. Bought it off a used car lot where it had set for three years. Think it was the early 90's. Was a very nice car.

Jeff Speegle

Offline Pedro

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 11:16:47 PM »
Wow! Fancy sitting in a lot for 3 years. I see it had the original black plates. Just as well you took a pic Jeff - with only 9 days ownership you probably would have forgotten it by now. LOL

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »
Wow! Fancy sitting in a lot for 3 years. I see it had the original black plates. Just as well you took a pic Jeff - with only 9 days ownership you probably would have forgotten it by now. LOL

Oh I remember just about every car I've owned through the years and a great amount of the thousands of cars I've taken pictures of. In this case its easy since I took allot of ribbing about buying someone's grandma's car being a big white boat with bench seats and rubber floor mats. NASCAR had little love in those days on the west coast of the US. At that time I don't think they even televised the races out here
Jeff Speegle

Offline BlackMcode1970mach1

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 07:12:35 PM »
 when I lived in my home town a man I knew a man who had a presidential blue talladaga . 428 it said Holman and moody on it .  that car handled like it was on rails. also his neighbor who's name was bill Elliot  no lie... had a  SUPERBIRD  with a 440 six pack and a 4 speed..I know the talLadaga went to California this was in the 80s. not sure if hes alive yet or the fate of the car. mark
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:14:52 PM by BlackMcode1970mach1 »

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 08:09:53 PM »
I know it is sacrileges, but I had a friend that scrapped out at least 5 Talladega's back in the 1980's. They had no real value, he bought them for the Q code 428's and nodular rear ends. For years he kept the best unique parts, I hope that he eventually was able to sell the parts those in need.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Pedro

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 03:10:09 AM »
I know it is sacrileges, but I had a friend that scrapped out at least 5 Talladega's back in the 1980's. They had no real value, he bought them for the Q code 428's and nodular rear ends. For years he kept the best unique parts, I hope that he eventually was able to sell the parts those in need.

Know what you're talking about. I recall cutting up a 73 Falcon GT hardtop to make it lighter for racing. I think it finally ended up on the tip. But of course you don't realise at the time that these cars could become valuable one day.
Here's Eric Bana's hardtop. ... https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/feature-cars/1301/eric-banas-1973-ford-xb-falcon-hardtop