Author Topic: 69 r code steering hoses  (Read 1422 times)

Offline cbrown

• Silver Level Subscriber
69 r code steering hoses
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:37:41 PM »
Did 69 R code mustangs get the protective sheathing  over the return line on cars that had p/s cooler?  I am having trouble with finding pics  I had stored away for reference. 

thanks chris

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 r code steering hoses
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
Did 69 R code mustangs get the protective sheathing  over the return line on cars that had p/s cooler?  I am having trouble with finding pics  I had stored away for reference. 

thanks chris
Just like the Shelby's that you are familiar with. Metal spiral on the lower line and the foam on the upper line.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:25:53 PM »
............Metal spiral on the lower line and the foam on the upper line.

+1  with a little assistance    ;)

Insulating (foam) cover is torn but still there after all these years

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Vcode

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »

Offline cbrown

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
thank you for info.  My 69 drag pac convert which was a pretty original car  did not have on it.  HMM?

chris

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:10:28 AM »
Chris

In an old thread on the CJ Forum it was identified that the early C8 hose (before Dec. '68) did not have the protective metal wrap and the C9 hose that superseded it did have the wrap.  So an early '69 built car would not have the metal wrap.  My Oct. '68 built CJ car does not have it.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline cbrown

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
 I talked with Ed last night and he confirmed no protective foam or metal wrap,  its an early late thing.  He  had not seen this post.

thanks chris

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 05:21:09 PM »
That is interesting. In the picture is a assemblyline C7 lower return line with the armor wrap and a NOS C8 lower return line with armor wrap . The 67 metal line has different bends compared to the 68 version . The c8 is single crimp like assemblyline so not your typical service replacement. So if I am understanding correctly you are implying Ed is saying Ford changed from having the wrap on the 67 return line version and changed to eliminating it in 68 and early 69 production then re instated it in later 69 production? Does that hold true for the lower pressure? If not then why have the lower pressure line with the wrap and the return line next to it not? Are you sure you are not referring to the UPPER pressure line. That upper line did not have wrap on it 67,68,and did not have the armor wrap on it until sometime in 69. Are you sure you are not referring to the upper pressure instead of the lower return line? 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »
Bob - my comment was directed to the pressure line so not relevant to the original question raised.  Seemed like the questions were starting to broaden the scope from just the return line.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline specialed

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »
Mr Browns  ?  was about the P/S cooler hoses  having foam & his early car  didn't  as I have been trying to figure out when Dearborn cars started using foam sometime in the spring from what I seen. When the later pump pressure hose C9za started using the spiral wrap then u don't  (and cant) use that special plastic hose holder that snaps together the pump pressure hose to the p/s cooler long lower hose & there is a blueish purple color code in middle of pump pressure hoses (that don't use the spiral wrap) & the same color code in the middle of the lower return hose & that's where the 2 color codes meet is where the black plastic hose holder clips together & that's why the foam is split in 2- 5''  sections so the clip holder car be used there.  Someone needs to repo the c7az lower p/s & cooler smooth hoses that have the white printing on them as all P/S systems use this hose & nothing out there that even looks close & I been reuseing originals I take off trucks & other fords in yards. If I only knew someone who could have this hose made. Hint mr brown!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:15:16 PM by specialed »