Author Topic: B tie rods  (Read 1700 times)

Offline chockostang

B tie rods
« on: November 22, 2021, 08:10:12 PM »
Did all 67-70 Mustangs have B tie rods . Where there OEM tie rods installed on the assembly line--Of course without the B.
Got a fellow with a 54,000 mile 68 GT500 KR convertible that without doubt has Non B , OEM excellent tie rods.
Anyone have some insight here?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: B tie rods
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 12:05:02 AM »
Did all 67-70 Mustangs have B tie rods . Where there OEM tie rods installed on the assembly line--Of course without the B.
Got a fellow with a 54,000 mile 68 GT500 KR convertible that without doubt has Non B , OEM excellent tie rods.
Anyone have some insight here?
B is by far the most common but my observations lead me to believe that the tie rods that were blank without a B or anything else were used too.I believe both of those type are assemblyline. Maybe the blank one was another vendor.There are also various after market versions with different markings .  I would not think twice if I saw the blank tie rod or a B marked version. I would be consistent and have all B marked or all blank ones. I would not use the odd ball other marking after market ones if I could help it. In trailer concours or SAAC DIV II we don't look at the markings ,date codes etc. but from a workmanship standpoint if there was a mixture of different marked tie rods the possible deduction would be in workmanship category oppose to authenticity.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 12:23:02 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline chockostang

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 09:42:07 AM »
Thank Bob.

Kinda what I thought,  these are absolutely perfect,  but no "b".

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 04:33:14 PM »
Agree with Bob in that the ones marked B are the most typical and the unmarked ones we really don't know if they were original, a different supplier or service parts. So currently both should pass "muster"  As for markings its been my experience that markings like other physical features of parts are often included in what we look for. as judges. Just depends on the team, the people that make up that team and other factors. Of course here its more about what was original than a set of rules since one should be reflected and rewarded in the other  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)