Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

Steering Gearbox Ball Bearings

(1/4) > >>

67350#1242:
Has anyone replaced the free floating ball bearings in their steering box?   Am looking for info on the size and possible source(s) for these bearings.
Thanks for any info,
Kurt.

67gta289:
I recall seeing the diameter somewhere, probably in VMF assuming you searched here and did not find.  If my memory is good the conclusion was that it is not readily available in the size and the best source was from the donor ranks.  There are a lot of donors out there so you might want to post a wanted ad with quantity needed.

67gta289:
 I went over and found the information posted, which is attributed to Chockostang:  There are 62 balls with a 0.230" diameter.   There were quite a few posts looking for a place to purchase them but there were no answers...other than donors.

67350#1242:
Thanks for the reply - I read same VMF thread.  Too bad its an odd size.   
I was preplanning a box rebuild and am not sure I will need new brgs but wanted to be prepared in case.  The box is still in car and seems to work OK just a little loose and leaky lower seal.  Hope I will not need any brgs.
Kurt.

67gta289:
Step #1 don't lose any ;)  No need to ask me how I know.  Funny how they end up rolling into the hardest to find places.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version