Author Topic: Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall -  (Read 3805 times)

Offline jwc66k

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall -
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »
I got 3...
I had to get a professional-grade extinguisher to get insurance for my restoration business; they are definitely better quality!  But...I have to take it in once a year for certification.  They take one look at it, write a new tag and charge me $10. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
In a quick search I found two more, four total, and entered all in the recall data base. It was relatively easy and I had no problems. You get a recall number and a potential replacement date (2 to 3 weeks). Now that it's day time, I got two more cars to check.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
5 of my 6 Kidde Fire Extinguishers were accepted. I also have 2 push button Extinguishers from BRK Electronics (not affected by recall). 8 total, 2 in the enclosed car trailer, 1 in the garage, 1 on the patio and 4 in the house. My submission resulted in a message about my replacements: "It should arrive within 15-20 business days."
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »
Looks like mine was affected too.  I should log on here more often never know what you can learn.
I've just been way to busy with other projects of late...
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
IIRC the recall was for over 30,000,000 units.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 12:40:11 AM »
IIRC the recall was for over 30,000,000 units.
Counting Canada, around 40,000,000. Figure $20 to make, $10 to ship - that's $1,200,000,000, if all are replaced.
Jim
I'm up to six.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 08:45:49 PM »
I got my first replacement today. It looks like a fire extinguisher. (I really wanted a C6ZF-F carb.)
Jim

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 09:32:35 PM »
I got 2 replacements (white). They claim the other 3 (all red) do not qualify.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 10:46:40 PM »
What did they tell you to how to dispose of your old extinguishers?
I'm awaiting replacement of my 3 units.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 11:14:33 PM »
I got 1 of 2 replacements this past Friday.  They included a return shipping label with instructions to ship the old unit back.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 12:24:12 AM »
I got 1 of 2 replacements this past Friday.  They included a return shipping label with instructions to ship the old unit back.

They will come in individual boxes with the retail box inside. Remove the new fire extinguisher from the retail box, put the old one in, put the retail box back in the outside box (take the return label out first), tape the box shut and apply the return label over the old shipping label. Guess I need to drop these off at a Fedex location.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »
They will come in individual boxes with the retail box inside. Remove the new fire extinguisher from the retail box, put the old one in, put the retail box back in the outside box (take the return label out first), tape the box shut and apply the return label over the old shipping label. Guess I need to drop these off at a Fedex location.
There's a phone number in the instruction sheet for pickup.
I called Kidde and asked how to match up the new extinguisher with the ones I had called into be replaced, I have six. What I was told was that one size fits all for a replacement, a 3 pound 6 ounce unit, what you sees is what you gets. There appears to be a fit problem with some units to be replaced that are taller than the replacement to reuse the box. One that I have is 17 inches, the box is 18. Tight tit.
My advice. Make it work. Also, on multiple units to be replaced - call FedEx for a pickup of all after all are replaced.
Jim

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
I'm awaiting replacement of my 3 units.
I got one replaced about 3-4 weeks ago; the other two just arrived.  They are double in size so I won't complain!
Poor FedEx; they are handling the Kidde recall.  My local facility knows me well and are very friendly.  Today I went in and their parking lot was overflowing with last minute Xmas packagers.  I walk in, smile, put my box on the counter, they say "thanks" and I say "No, thank you!" and walk out.  Tomorrow I'll be delivering 3 packages (2 returns and one harness box).  They hate this time of year.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 12:24:15 AM »
I got one replaced about 3-4 weeks ago; the other two just arrived.  They are double in size so I won't complain!
I got two out of five already, and a letter saying due to an unexpected demand, you're on hold. I'm waiting until the Christmas rush is over before I call FedEx. I assume they are swamped.
One replacement was about the same size, the other is double in size, and, as you stated, I won't complain.
Jim