Author Topic: SAAC Forum down  (Read 13768 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: SAAC Forum down
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 05:02:21 PM »
Apparently the SAAC Forum is up. I note that the "new" look is using the same software company as this forum which might explain why it took as long as it did to reload.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
Like so many here, having spent my entire life owning and being fully immersed in this, I ....
Well I don’t want to give a whining rant as I’m sure everyone feels the same, I have three quick points to offer:

-It is simply incalculable what has been lost, and the present and future damage that has been done to our cars and hobby, both for us and for their future owners;
-despite the contributions (lost) by so many, and many who were either transitory or no longer with us, I would like to recognize a few who had shared their life’s work (!) of expertise with us: j speegle, Bob, Brant, Pete, Charles, Randy and many more. The problem here is that this knowledge often came incidental to a running thread which gave so much depth and context. Worse- we are all running out of years eventually, but the info is valid forever to our hobby. It’s not like an in depth interview can begin to fill the factual loss. I viewed the lost forum as a peer reviewed technical library and a living component of my car (SFM5S339);
-I would have ‘no problem’ continuing the high calibre of technical discussion here on this forum, for many respectful reasons.

Steve

Steve,

Very well stated.

I guess all we can do at this point is look forward and build things back bit by bit.

Offline rodster

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »
Yes, well said Steve.

It's not just the facts and figures that were lost but the stories and posts from many good folks, some of which are no longer with us.  As you said the forum was a living component and depth and context of the posts can not be duplicated.

Newcomers may not be able to comprehend what was lost but anyone that has been following the forum from the beginning will understand.

Despite the best efforts and intentions, what has been lost can never be rebuilt, but such is life.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2018, 10:48:01 PM »
I will miss all the old Kiwi posts, and his many PMs to me as we bantered back and forth about the forum folks, lost forever, as he is, RIP.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »
Thanks Steve.  While our main focus is to help others, building a library for future reference was always a key benefit.  This forum is coming up on 9 years this summer and I couldn't imagine losing all of our past discussions here.

In the past, Jeff and I have discussed expanding the Shelby sub-forums here on the site.  It would never be our intention to do that in an effort to take away from the SAAC forum, but understand if some may not be willing to participate there anymore.  If the members here would like to see that section expanded, we can certainly do that.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2018, 12:58:37 PM »
Not all is lost...

If you go to the Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive, you can still see some of the old postings on the SAAC Forum.  It's kind of hit and miss on what the Archive captured and when (for example, clicking on some topics from the home page will go nowhere, but others are pretty deep).

Unfortunately, some of the more recent captures are just of the home page, but it looks like they got a pretty good snapshot of the Forum in the early 2015:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150315013439/http://saacforum.com/

I hope this helps ease the pain a little...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
I just re-registered on the SAAC forum this afternoon. I then went back in a few minutes later to have a look around and I'm getting a "connection timed out"? Anyone else??

Is the webpage still http://www.saacforum.com  ???  If I Google  SAAC forum and click that link it does the same thing, connection timed out..
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »
Seems a little slow getting in today.  The URL should just be saacforum.com

Offline silverton_ford

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
Slow for me too.  Ok, I'm glad I am not the only one.

I'm sure there will be little bugs to work out; which is expected for anything new.
Thank you, Brian Littlefield

My Cars:
66 Mustang Conv C-code, 4 spd, Pony Interior
6S2339

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »
Slow for me too.  Ok, I'm glad I am not the only one.

I'm sure there will be little bugs to work out; which is expected for anything new.

It's the same forum software, just a newer version.  The slowness could be a regional issue or something with the hosting service.

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
The slowness could be a regional issue or something with the hosting service.

They appear to be running on a shared hosting platform operated by GoDaddy. High traffic volumes may be a cause for concern depending on the details of their hosting plan.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2018, 06:41:02 PM »
They appear to be running on a shared hosting platform operated by GoDaddy. High traffic volumes may be a cause for concern depending on the details of their hosting plan.
The slowness seems to come and go today but mostly slow.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rodster

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »
Thanks Steve.  While our main focus is to help others, building a library for future reference was always a key benefit.  This forum is coming up on 9 years this summer and I couldn't imagine losing all of our past discussions here.

In the past, Jeff and I have discussed expanding the Shelby sub-forums here on the site.  It would never be our intention to do that in an effort to take away from the SAAC forum, but understand if some may not be willing to participate there anymore.  If the members here would like to see that section expanded, we can certainly do that.

You guys do a great job here and certainly had the big picture in mind when you started this forum and I'm guessing a back up is a high priority. 

Coming up on 9 yrs?   :o  Wow really??

In order to avoid duplication I always posted any Shelby concours info on the SAAC site but will shift my focus here. 

Now if you could go back and capture all the data that was lost and port it here that would be great!

Rod
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2018, 09:04:49 PM »
You guys do a great job here and certainly had the big picture in mind when you started this forum and I'm guessing a back up is a high priority. 

Thank you for the kind comments and yes back up is very important to us. Charles does a great job on that side of the house.  The concern is one of the reasons you will often see me post duplicate threads here and elsewhere where I will post pictures and text from something I posted on another board so that members here get the benefit from the post also

Now if you could go back and capture all the data that was lost and port it here that would be great!

Not sure how others would feel about that.  Might create ownership questions and hard feelings. Not something we boldly want to charge into ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments and yes back up is very important to us. Charles does a great job on that side of the house.  The concern is one of the reasons you will often see me post duplicate threads here and elsewhere where I will post pictures and text from something I posted on another board so that members here get the benefit from the post also

Not sure how others would feel about that.  Might create ownership questions and hard feelings. Not something we boldly want to charge into ::)

I know Charles is very sharp when it comes to IT stuff, and concours too.  I'd like to be sharp at just one thing!  ;)

The comment about porting over the lost data was not serious as I'm sure it's lost forever and was only a miracle wish.   The SAAC forum is now a lost treasure.

Should anyone be able to recover all the lost data, they would no doubt be considered a hero regardless of ownership.   
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A