Author Topic: front fender z-bracket  (Read 3796 times)

Offline bluemax

front fender z-bracket
« on: August 26, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »
I am currently restoring my '86 2R Comp Prep and I have a topic for discussion.

The front fender to bumper cover z-brackets (part number E4ZZ-8B057-A) is bolted to the fender and bumper cover by 4 bolts (two to each item). The parts manual lists all four of these bolts as 57130-S. David LaRocque's book indicates the full part number as 57130-S36.

1) Are all four bolts the same as shown in the parts manual? (And yes this is just one side, therefore there would be eight total for both.)

2) Is the finish S36, zinc dichromate, as listed in David's book? When removing mine I can see what appears to be a hint of that type of finish.

Mark, I know you have several low mile cars in your stable, what do you think?

Matt

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: front fender z-bracket
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:20:23 PM »
I THINK I parked the low mile cars too far back in the garage !!

We shouldn't trust any car that has been apart/repainted -SO if you can be patient when I return from PA I will get under the 2000 mile car and photo.  (Maybe even before)

This is a good starting place for a BOLT FINISHES section -so I may move and create the topic (if I can get photos also)

Mark

1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Bigbsvo

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 12:27:19 PM »
Mark,

Did you ever get the pictures of the brackets?  I may be able to take pics of mine if needed.

Bryan

Offline bluemax

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:14:09 PM »
Hello Mark...I was hoping you would have had a chance to look at these by now.

Still interested in knowing an answer to this question.

Thanks,

Matt

Offline Kendal Coker

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
I guess you saw where Paul Becker found an svo with plastic brackets on it with a Ford part number. Also another member has a set too.

Offline bluemax

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:06:20 PM »
Yea and they are now in my possession...pretty neat items.  ;) Not sure what to do with them, but still a neat conversation piece.  ;D

My question is on the "correct" size/type and finish for the four mounting bolts (per side) that attach the z-bracket to the fender and bumper cover.

Kendal, do you have any low mileage examples to compare?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:07:58 PM by bluemax »

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »
Mark,

Did you ever get the pictures of the brackets?  I may be able to take pics of mine if needed.

Bryan

After 3 attempts (once on a lift) I still can't get photos to show this bracket.  My guess is you have to take the inner fender liner off to get clear shot.

I think it will be easier for me to look at NOS ones I have (in hopes that the bolts are taped to them).   SO that is the next project.

I can't believe it's been months either (just was frustrated that it wasn't easy)
Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Kendal Coker

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »
The first three are from my one owner (me) unpainted unwrecked 84  SVO. The last one is from an 85.5 that I am the second owner. Looks like they are zink plated. I am going to sandblast mine and spray them with clear. I think that will look as close as I can get to orignal.

Offline chalkys_explorer

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »

the bolts pictured in pic 2 are the same as the ones used to retain the front bumper cover to the core support underneath the front of the car.
84 1C MA 3EF132078 .....amongst others