Author Topic: Mercury switch for shelby trunk light ?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline 427hunter

Mercury switch for shelby trunk light ?
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:19:30 AM »
Hi all, my 69 gt500 mercury trunk light switch is not working, anyone know were to get a replacement ?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Mercury switch for shelby trunk light ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
As far as I know there is no replacement part. Good news is 67-70 trunk lights are same except bracket/wires so you can pirate a mercury switch from any
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 427hunter

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 01:11:37 PM »
Do you know who sells them?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
Do you know who sells them?
West Coast Cougar is a good source for used parts. The fact that you only really need the  mercury switch portion will help with possibilities in their inventory since many salvage switch's have the wires cut and are otherwise worthless to most.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
Hmmm...
Hadn't ever seen a mercury switch fail unless the glass was broken & mercury was out of it....Of course, the mercury pellet is possible to put it in backwards but...
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »
Hmmm...
Hadn't ever seen a mercury switch fail unless the glass was broken & mercury was out of it....Of course, the mercury pellet is possible to put it in backwards but...
+1 . I suppose there is always a first time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
How big is the mercury capsule?

The old (60s 70s) wall thermostats in houses used to have the capsules.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 427hunter

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 09:42:46 PM »
+1 . I suppose there is always a first time.

The glass broke..

Are there any available?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:37 PM »
I have an NOS 1971 or 72 Lincoln one available.  If you have yours apart include some pics.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 12:54:42 AM »
The glass broke..

Are there any available?
Re read reply #3 and call them.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
I have worked on just a few trunk light or hood lights from original to Service Replacement NOS, including one reproduction hood light from Alloy Metal.

I am willing to offer this generalized information about these lights. First of all, no matter WHAT 1960's to early 70's car they came from, it seems their value isn't exactly "worthless" since many will sell for at least over $20 on eBay, (no matter what "usable" condition they are in). Certain ones will fetch over $75-up if they are rare (such as Mustangs).

Basically speaking, the Mercury pellet switch is the same between most any of them, so long as they do not have the plastic lamp base where the wire protrudes from out of the lamp. The original lamp assemblies are staked after being compressed together to retain the switch and wiring discs, then again compressed with the insertion of a bulb to keep all contact points pressed together.
Getting a lamp assembly apart without breaking the glass can be tricky and remember that Mercury can be dangerous if mishandled (even though many of us used to play with it at school as kids ;) ).

I know Alloy Metals sells at least hood lamps for 67 Mustangs the ones they sell have a NON-Mercury switch in them. Jim from Alloy metals said it is like the switch that is used in a smart phone, converted for use in the hood lamps (and no doubt other similarly designed reproduction lamps). I bought one of his hood lamps to use it for parts to rebuild my original one. I did not use his switch but instead reused an original Mercury switch. I practiced on another used one (pictured below) to learn how to take a "freebie" one apart. The glass in that one was already broken and the Mercury spilled out (caused me to investigate the hazards of handling Mercury!). I can see how easy it would be to crush one if it were done incorrectly. What I learned was to use a socket that is the same size as the inside of the lamp housing to work the "dimples" that are in the lamp body out. This will allow the parts to come out without using force.

FWIW, I have no "spare" Mercury switches by themselves nor any spare original Ford lamps available at this time.

I do have Alloy Metal's switch somewhere, I don't think I used it if memory serves.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:39:03 AM by carlite65 »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 427hunter

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
Thanks guys I just bough one from west coast cougar. Fingers crossed it works..