Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

C4 shift shaft seal replacement

(1/3) > >>

Hipo giddyup:
 With my latest project, (1966 289 with C4), the shaft seal for the shifter looks to be leaking. I have purchased the new seal and o-ring but wanted to know how difficult this would be in replacing the seal. Looks like I'll be dropping the pan and removing the valve body to get the shaft out? Any tips or pointers would be gladly appreciated. Thanks!

carlite65:
yes. drop pan & remove valve body. be careful upon reassembly in getting the shaft reinserted to the v/b. i've done a few of these & it is not difficult, just take your time.

Hipo giddyup:
Thanks for the response Carlite. I was just worried about an oddball spring or gear popping out at me!! Always good to do some research before jumping right in!  ;D

carlite65:
kind of a messy job dropping the v/b. careful of the screw lengths they are different. don't be afraid to use plenty of brake cleaner & lint free towels. and dont forget the outer 'o' ring.

67gtasanjose:
No springs or check balls fall out...rather straight forward job as others have said. Watch the linkages when re-installing the valve body, the passing linkage should have a "return spring" tension back, when it is in right. It has a "feels right" feel about it. Test the "feel" before taking the valve body down and familiarize yourself with it. I think you will see how to index the main select valve, but a few people have gotten these all the way together with the passing gear linkage out of place before (speaking from experience ;) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version