Author Topic: Smog setup pictures - GT500  (Read 2252 times)

Offline kwemj 67

Smog setup pictures - GT500
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »
Was looking for some pictures and info on correct smog system for 68 500 convertible, A/C, manual transmission. Built Feb 14/68. Any help would be great. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:08:15 PM by J_Speegle »
7R03S157303 GTA

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: Smog setup pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 07:40:57 PM »
This set up looks to be complete, but reproduction. I would recommend finding original parts. I think you can probably do better on the price as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-1970-Mustang-Smog-System-428SCJ-428-SCJ-428CJ-GT-500-Cobra-Jet-Mach/401813225920?hash=item5d8def41c0:g:PzoAAOSwnm1dKA5v

Heres a checklist

Two steel exhaust rails with ferrules
Two check valves
Three rubber hoses with clamps
1968 smog pump with pulley (AC differs)
Antibackfire canister / Dated
Two brackets one for pump and one for abc valve

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:47:35 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Smog setup pictures
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 10:00:42 PM »
I think the Assembly Manual is a better guide for you, but here is a pic:

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Smog setup pictures - GT500
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:44:26 PM »
Anything in particular your looking for?   Lots of parts in lots of dark corners  but basically like some many other FE Thermactor systems
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kwemj 67

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 12:32:47 AM »
Thank you again for reply and help. I picked up a complete running 390 late 67 date code A/C engine with operational Thermactor system. Date wise they are the same month but it is a 390 system and not a 428 PI, however I have heard that they used a lot of the same brackets especially when comes to an A/C car. Know the diverter canister valve is different and I have one. Most everything is always CJ and wondered what is correct and not. Will download a picture of the front of engine of what I have soon.
7R03S157303 GTA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 12:43:41 AM »
Can think of maybe one bracket that would interchange if that - and would have to check engineering numbers.
Believe pumps are different as are pulley, hoses, adjusting arm/bracket and of course as you mentioned diverter valve, clamps and mounting bracket

At this point would suggest leaving the Thermactor with the 67 390 and search elsewhere. Hopefully this was a Mustang style 390 and not one from a different car have even more differences

On another line its often impossible to remove and reuse the injector tubes as the ends often twist off when you try and remove them.

Of course at this point just going through the  process mentally at this point after having looked at a number of pictures of each but not developing a full list.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 01:34:14 AM »
If it is a late in the year date for 1967 then it would be a 68 production year system (C8 marked hoses and brackets) and yes many parts on the 68 390 System will interchange. If it is a 67 model year system with dates prior to August 67 then most parts will not interchange. Best to post a picture to show what you have.

Good catch - Guess I jumped to the 390 being a 67 production car engine rather than a 390 with late calendar year 67

Pictures would help since it might be from something other than a Mustang/Cougar or similar application
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 01:48:52 AM »
Good catch - Guess I jumped to the 390 being a 67 production car engine rather than a 390 with late calendar year 67

Pictures would help since it might be from something other than a Mustang/Cougar or similar application
Figured you were thinking 67. The way it was posted was easy to confuse it. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 08:38:45 AM »
Does the smog pump have a 3 bolt pulley or a 4 bolt pulley?  The 3 bolt style pump is a '68 pump but the 4 bolt is different and incorrect for '68.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline kwemj 67

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 01:36:16 AM »
Thank you for the reply's. Surprisingly all the tubes came apart no problem, but it is a 4 bolt pump, so not really correct as stated. Was wondering on where to find correct system as all reproduction systems usually say for CJ and not PI, and is the AC system different?
7R03S157303 GTA

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 03:13:55 AM »
Thank you for the reply's. Surprisingly all the tubes came apart no problem, but it is a 4 bolt pump, so not really correct as stated. Was wondering on where to find correct system as all reproduction systems usually say for CJ and not PI, and is the AC system different?
Yes it sounds like you have a 67 system. The check valves on the thernactor tubes and the passenger side thermactor tube are really the only parts on a 67 system that will correctly interchange with a 68 PI smog system.The rest is different then the 68 system. The smog for the 68 PI and the 68 CJ are the same .Same brackets tubes and hoses etc. The pulley on the smog pump is different for a AC car but it is the same for AC CJ or AC PI. The crank pulley on a AC PI and a AC CJ are different too. That is all I can think of at the moment. When you start getting into differences on the other AC specific parts for early vs. late 68 PI then that is a post for completely different thread. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 04:37:25 AM »
.............Was wondering on where to find correct system as all reproduction systems usually say for CJ and not PI, and is the AC system different?

Like stated earlier would start fresh and keep the parts you have currently, since it sounds like you have a full system, but that is up to you

Unless you can find a complete assembly for your application then your going to be piecing a system together out of used and a couple of reproduction parts.
Jeff Speegle

Offline kwemj 67

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 04:02:52 PM »
Took everyone's advise and ended up finding a complete correct used smog system and all the brackets and pulleys for an A/C car ( which it is), the only thing that is not correct is the smog pump pulley. The original one on the pump is C8AE-9C480-A and I need a C8AE-9C480-B for A/C. So if anyone might have a lead on this pulley, have the original one to sell/trade, etc.
 Also have a complete 67 390 functional smog system with all brackets and pulley's ,A/C pump,etc.
7R03S157303 GTA

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 05:33:45 PM »
Took everyone's advise and ended up finding a complete correct used smog system and all the brackets and pulleys for an A/C car ( which it is), the only thing that is not correct is the smog pump pulley. The original one on the pump is C8AE-9C480-A and I need a C8AE-9C480-B for A/C. So if anyone might have a lead on this pulley, have the original one to sell/trade, etc.
 Also have a complete 67 390 functional smog system with all brackets and pulley's ,A/C pump,etc.
Your in luck. There is a very nice authentic looking C8AE-9C480-B reproduction pulley with the correct markings available. A original C8-B pulley is rare and will be expensive if the seller knows what it is . I have seen original ones sell for as much as 600.00 . PM me for details if interested.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 08:25:52 PM »
I think repo piece is the C8OE not C8AE. He needs the AE
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America