Author Topic: 68 Shelby Vin and Completion Date Discussion  (Read 21312 times)

Online Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 Shelby Vin and Completion Date Discussion
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »
I am curious what kind of document inventory or otherwise that showed the cars at the Smith Plant and in what context they were referred

Please help me with this....I’m not understanding the question

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 12:03:27 AM »
Charles, I am disagreeing with you, I have always contended that cars were not built in strict numerical order. I am sorry if I didnt make that clear. That was my point of discussing the first five “pilot” cars and sharing their serial numbers.

Maybe this was meant in reply to Marty's comment?  I have no opinion on the order the cars were made, just recent comments regarding the units/day estimates.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 12:04:52 AM »
Please help me with this....I’m not understanding the question
I am wanting to know what kind of document was used to determine the start date. Was it some kind of inventory document? Some kind of check list for parts? 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »
To the best of my knowledge Smith did not keep track of a cars “start” date. Maybe this is what I’m missing...Why would that be important? Cars were “quality” checked when they arrived, but Im not sure Smith recorded every cars arrival date?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:21:43 AM by Coralsnake »

Online Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2017, 12:13:51 AM »
Charles, I will post some more that will hopefully clarify your questions...I will show you something new :-)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:17:22 AM by Coralsnake »

Online Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »

Here is one of the monthly tally sheets, where they kept track of cars completed

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
To the best of my knowledge Smith did not keep track of a cars “start” date. Maybe this is what I’m missing...Why would that be important? Cars were “quality” checked when they arrived, but Im not sure Smith recorded every cars arrival date?
Because the cars in question my be the first ones finished but not the first ones started on. It may be just as you say but there might have been other units that were started on that didn't get finished before the cars that did. Without the started on records it is hard to tell which is why I asked.  It is a little out of the ordinary that the pre production cars have such a higher Shelby number given the show cars and preproduction cars of other years 65,66,67 and 69 ether didn't have a assigned Shelby number or don't seem to follow that wide of spread.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »
Thanks for posting that Pete

Had not seen that before
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »
They had to be the first ones started, because they were the only five Shelbys at AO Smith assembly.

;D

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »
Thank to everyone for helping me understand the early struggles and practices at AO Smith.
Pete thanks for sharing your Shelby tally sheet. I am amazed that such a document survives.
I now see there are some things that we will just not ever know completly.
Marty 

Online Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
Shelby inspected every car Smith built. That's why you see the difference in the numbers. Not all cars were immediately "accepted". Often times, these were things AOSmith had no control over.

This led to some "discussions". The other side of this conversation is the business relationship. Someone had to pay for corrections, updates and changes. Often times, AOSmith was slow to be paid. This three headed relationship (Ford/Shelby/AOSmith) ultimately led to the end of the program. One of the main reasons there were no cars after 1969 was that AOSmith declined to build them. I can only surmise that was due to this dysfunctional relationship.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
Shelby inspected every car Smith built. That's why you see the difference in the numbers. Not all cars were immediately "accepted". Often times, these were things AOSmith had no control over.

This led to some "discussions". The other side of this conversation is the business relationship. Someone had to pay for corrections, updates and changes. Often times, AOSmith was slow to be paid. This three headed relationship (Ford/Shelby/AOSmith) ultimately led to the end of the program. One of the main reasons there were no cars after 1969 was that AOSmith declined to build them. I can only surmise that was due to this dysfunctional relationship.
The late pay by Shelby to vendors/sub contractors seemed to be a common MO for Shelby American/Automotive from 65 - to the end of the program according to stories heard from past employees and subconctractor employees over the years.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »
They had to be the first ones started, because they were the only five Shelbys at AO Smith assembly.

;D
If it wasn't clear before to clarify I was asking about documents of one type or another that indicate they were the only ones there then. The build date info by itself falls short of that. Help me understand your point of view.

Online Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2017, 08:04:02 PM »
That information was shared with me by Kevin when I inquired about how many cars were built before the Paris auto show. It was an effort to identify the car.

I probably have the Marti reports, but I am not home for several days.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 12:19:45 AM »
Here is one of the monthly tally sheets, where they kept track of cars completed

Thanks for posting.  Looks like they had a tough time getting them through Shelby acceptance.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin