Author Topic: Found this on my '65 in place of my rear Brake hose Retainer clip...  (Read 841 times)

Offline NEFaurora

Subject: Found this on my Dearborn '65 6cyl 'vert in place of my Rear Brake hose Retainer clip...

Has anyone ever seen anything like this??!??

I'm changing and re-doing all the brake lines in the car.  This was in place of where the Rear Brake hose Retainer clip usually is...  It looked like it was in there 52 years as was the old Rear Brake Hose that it was holding in... I tapped it out, cleaned it up...and primed it and painted it black for these pics...  To me, It looks like a factory Ford Body Shim, but you be the judge...possibly when the car was built new.  I don't think that this rear brake hose from this '65 has ever been changed...and I couldn't find any markings on the brake hose itself...but it was about to blow...The brake hose was ancient...and in horrible condition...and certainly due for replacement!!

Thoughts???!??

See attached pics...

**Also, See the attached last Concours pic that I also attached.  Is there a correct specific Clock Rotation of the Rear Brake Hose Retainer clip??!?? I have always wondered this. The one on my other Dearborn '66 Convertible has the clip coming in from the driver's side of the car...not up from the bottom like pictured in the Concours pic..

I'm not sure of the correct clip rotation, but wouldn't it make more logical sense if the clip came in from either the left or right side or even from the top down??.....rather than have the clip come in from the bottom (as pictured in the Concours pic) where it could possibly fall out due to a serious "bump on the road".... I'll probably get shot here for even suggesting this....lol.... HA!

All answers and opinions appreciated!

Thanks,

Tony K.

:o)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:01:01 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Found this on my '65 in place of my rear Brake hose Retainer clip...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:37:19 PM »
It's a caster/body shim, shouldn't have been in that location.  Would recommend keeping an eye out for other examples from the same plant/production date to see if there's a possible pattern.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 10:57:59 PM »
Subject: Found this on my Dearborn '65 6cyl 'vert in place of my Rear Brake hose Retainer clip...

Has anyone ever seen anything like this??!??

Yes have seen these before but not there. Its a shim like Charles wrote. Surprised it stayed in place since it is not a tight fit. Guess all that goop help cement it in place.

Find the right insert and replace that one while your there

Here are some examples - Looks like the same ones used up front on those flex lines

5F2726xx

5F389xxx

5F296xxx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 11:19:14 PM »
"Surprised it stayed in place since it is not a tight fit."

Oh, Believe me.. It was in there pretty tight Jeff... I had to use a big flathead screwdriver and and a hammer to tap it out... Surface rust has a habit of doing that...!

Even with the rust cleaned off...(I used a wirewheel)...It still fits pretty snug in the original rear brake hose...believe it or not... I guess that they ran out of Brake hose clips that day on the Assembly line in Dearborn back in '65....or as Charles said....It might have been a practice of some certain employee(s) to do this as a possibility... The VIN of the car is 5F08T7697xx - Date Code 24T (June 24th).

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »
The other possibility is this was done either by a previous owner or repair shop.  I wouldn't assume that it was a factory blunder.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »
..It might have been a practice of some certain employee(s) to do this as a possibility... The VIN of the car is 5F08T7697xx - Date Code 24T (June 24th).

I doubt it. Consider where the employee would have had to travel in the plant to get these - not like there were misc nuts and bolts laying around or in their pockets. There were many people who's only job was to make sure that the correct attaching hardware was at the stations, in the right container ready for the next car.  Or they would just get fired and someone that could do the task would be hired.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)