Author Topic: 1969 SCJET Concours Oil Filter  (Read 395 times)

Offline dmg67

1969 SCJET Concours Oil Filter
« on: December 24, 2017, 12:15:01 AM »
What's the correct concours accepted Oil Filter for a January 1969 SCJet? Thanks in advance.

Offline dmg67

Re: 1969 SCJET Concours Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
Mostly, The white Autolite FL1 filter, although sometimes the filters were painted blue along with the engine block, either is correct for Concours.  You did say "Concours" so make sure you get the right period correct (68-71) Autolite FL1.  Now if it were a Thoroughbred, the date code would play a big part in correctness and the filter would have to be original, not reproduction.

Also in Concours, a Motorcraft FL1-A is accepted as long as you paint the filter block color.

Reproduction filters are offered at most Mustang vendors.

Hope this helps.
Modify message
For clarification it also depends on the venue.I know this a MCA question but just in case for instance if the January 1969 SCJet is in a GT500 entered in a SAAC or Mid America Shelby event a Motorcraft filter painted engine blue would be points deducted. I don't know why anyone going to the trouble and entering in concours where assemblyline is the goal would use a Motorcraft filter what with the reproduction filters which are typically Motorcraft filters (if brand is a concern) with a vintage looking outer sleeve pressed over the top of them.  That is just me others may have different ideas. FYI that is how you tell the repro ,you can see the seam at the base where the sleeve had been pressed on over the top.   
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:23:20 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:33:13 PM »
 The repops are pitiful in my opinion. The ribs are not correct for any year and the logo and colors are off also. With so many real filters available I would not use the repop or Motorcraft. At least a Motorcraft has correct ribbing. I can see using the Motorcraft or repop on a daily driver but not trailered concours on a really highly detailed restoration. I understand however why the are accepted in the Div.II classes.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »
The repops are pitiful in my opinion. The ribs are not correct for any year and the logo and colors are off also. With so many real filters available I would not use the repop or Motorcraft. At least a Motorcraft has correct ribbing. I can see using the Motorcraft or repop on a daily driver but not trailered concours on a really highly detailed restoration. I understand however why the are accepted in the Div.II classes.
I agree with BP that you are trading one flaw (no Autolite) for another (incorrect rib,flute,crimp) . It is not quite as noticeable on earlier year engines that used double crimp style unless side by side then the rib difference and height really stands out. It certainly hands down best to use a original instead. If concerned about appearance but don't want to use up a original you can have a Motorcraft for pleasure driving and put on the more valuable original for shows. There will be a minor mess when changing out but knowing you will not use up the original helps justify things. They are still out there now but getting more difficult as time goes by. You would think the repro companies could get it closer.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »
This is the Concours Mustang Forum, Right??
Sometimes I wonder.  ;)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
This is the Concours Mustang Forum, Right??

I can assure you its not named after some organizations judging class   ;)

Completely  different things but this question was specific and has been answered I believe
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)