Author Topic: 67 San Jose C Code Coupe Package Tray Retainers  (Read 878 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
67 San Jose C Code Coupe Package Tray Retainers
« on: March 30, 2019, 09:26:02 AM »
NOTE: the first two posts were split from another thread so that the specific topic could be focused on without taking the other thread in a new direction.

Reviewing some older posts for details in painting my engine but came across another would-be running change or frequently unknown (or unsure) fact about the Rear Package Trays of the Coupes. I wonder how much interior options play into the use of the "screw or no screw" detail.
Marty uploaded other pictures within this thread asking about the strip (seen to the right of the screw in this image) : http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=18684.0

It looks as though the strip or molding and the use of the screw go hand-in-hand on these two examples at least.

I will try and link some of this information to this thread, it may be initially tough to follow this train wreck of thought I got derailed onto...bear with me. Maybe it's the coffee speaking ;)

A11 - If you've ever wondered what the rear package tray screw looked like - here it is

Continuing my thought, certain parts of this thread stood out (when viewing the scheduled build dates of the various vehicles that have been discussed this far to date ) regarding the rear package tray "screw/no screw" and now the added details of the reinforcement strip, then any attempt to align the dates the MPC discusses (John's post with MPC images in other thread and re-posted below again to assist in context of any point(s) to be made).

The Scheduled build date of Marty's example is stated as being September 26, 1966 which is long before the otherwise stated change-over in January, 1967...is anyone else "with me" so far?

My 65B example (Coupe with Deluxe Interior) had neither the screw nor the "Reinforcement". My 65B Coupe has a lip bent into the metal or the quarter trim to tuck it UNDER the package tray. I believe the 65B uses the padding of the upholstery to bridge the gap that the "Reinforcement~" uses since the standard interior (65A & 65C) uses a different quarter trim WITHOUT any upholstery added. This would perhaps help? I believe the "After 4-1-67" date, the quarter trim parts were changed to no longer need the "Reinforcement~" since the rear edge was re-designed to fit OVER the rear package tray.

Is this sensible or did I miss any details or assume to little or too much?

RE: quotes within this thread and in other thread:
As a follow up to this question. Looking at my collection of pictures it appears that the change to the visible screws started between 7R146875 and 7R1680xx.

Of course this is not a hard line for the change. We don't know exactly when each of these cars were actually built. Just gives us a general idea of early December to mid Jan at San Jose.

Just another of the hundreds of running changes that make restoring 67s so much fun  ::)

John
[/quote]
Marty, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the molding, that is what Ford calls a "reinforcement - package tray trim panel end" and carries a C7ZZ-6546562 part number.  The 60-68 MPC says "before 1/3/67 " and in another area says "before 4/7/67".  Yet another note says that the "top edge overlaps package tray from 4/7/67" 

There is no reference at all in the January 67 dated 1967 one year only MPC

John
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:52:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

Re: 67 San Jose C Code Coupe Package Tray Retainers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:09:13 AM »
We are probably drifting from this particular unrestored car thread and onto a 67 coupe package tray discussion...

Already posted:

1. 7R01C1680xx - standard black interior
2. 7R01C109xxx - unknown

I looked through my picture collection but can only add two more examples.  This area is not usually a focus.

3. 7R01C1944xx - standard black interior
4. 7R01C2154xx - interior decor green

All four have the screws. 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »
We are probably drifting from this particular unrestored car thread and onto a 67 coupe package tray discussion...

Already posted:

1. 7R01C1680xx - standard black interior
2. 7R01C109xxx - unknown

I looked through my picture collection but can only add two more examples.  This area is not usually a focus.

3. 7R01C1944xx - standard black interior
4. 7R01C2154xx - interior decor green

All four have the screws. 

Yes, I thought I derailed this morning...

but I DO SEE in the pictures John posted, one example each of a Standard Interior (65A or 65C) & another Deluxe Interior (65B) Coupe, both which support what I will for now call a "Theory"...that the Deluxe (65B) did not use the strip nor the screw.
Note on edit, I enlarged the pictures enough and see the screw and strip on what looks to be a 65B deluxe interior so my theory has been debunked. The mystery continues. I imagine the next thing to consider is the production dates and the interior options not left out of the equation. I realize also that this area, though highly visible on the show field, is one area that perhaps has often been altered over the years (speakers, and or window leaking onto the hardboard material) so even my example could have been changed. Nonetheless, I know without a doubt there is no "hole" in either my (believed as original) hardboard panel and no hole in the underlying metal in which the screw would be threaded into. I will not be adding the screw for "compliance" for this reason unless I have a fitment issue upon assembly (we shall see).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:51:19 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 05:21:23 PM »
Not sure how many pictures I have with anything to offer but will try and find some time to look after I look through a couple thousand other pictures for two prior threads  8)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 09:02:40 AM »
Not sure how many pictures I have with anything to offer but will try and find some time to look after I look through a couple thousand other pictures for two prior threads  8)
This detail is of little importance so don't concern yourself too much since I feel confident that I know how mine will be going back together. Consider it another detail to look for and perhaps take note of in the future. Chances are the "after April date" will be more along the line of what we would find on 68's. I'll be looking out of curiosity only.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:04:52 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 01:14:55 PM »
Where can I get a nice concours package tray for my 67 Coupe?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:57:31 PM by Captain Kent »
1967 Lone Star Special. Owned since ‘74
Produced in Dearborn April 7, 67
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Online ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
Where can I get a nice concours package tray for my 67 Coupe?

I found a sheet of Masonite that has the correct X pattern on it and I cut my own.

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 03:18:03 PM »
I found a sheet of Masonite that has the correct X pattern on it and I cut my own.

Could I ask how you primed the surface for painting?  I know raw masonite really soaks up paint if not sealed somehow.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Online ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 09:04:15 PM »
Could I ask how you primed the surface for painting?  I know raw masonite really soaks up paint if not sealed somehow.

Three or four brushed coats of polyurethane sanded then spray painted.