Author Topic: 70 Dearborn (Dec 69 build) fender bolts  (Read 3570 times)

Offline bgp429

Re: 70 Dearborn fender bolts
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 12:19:55 PM »
Armond, found this old subject on the RSC bolts. Apparently they are hard to find. Did you ever find a source for them?

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=6623.0;last_msg=37552

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 09:20:01 PM »
Armond - see you asked a similar question over on the Boss site. Two different cars or did you forget to mention you were working on a Boss 9?

Just trying to get you the best answer(s)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 11:12:41 PM »
Yes it is for a 70 Boss 429 I am restoring.  The front end was worked on in the past and had a miss match of bolts.  The car had been sitting since the mid 70's.  I want to get, what would be consistent for this car.  I had a 70 SCJ car sitting here I bought for a number of years and never took note of it before I sold it, built just about the same time.  Pretty dumb!    I was looking for a couple of the RCS bolts for my 69 dearborn R code that had them, I lost a couple of the hood large washer bolts. I took the car apart back in 91.   I found them thanks to Scott at West Coast Classic Cougar.  Thanks!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline specialed

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »
bgp429  where did u get the info in your post that the fenders were removed  then reinstalled at KK on the b9s ? just curious

Offline bgp429

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 10:02:10 PM »
It was a discussion on the Boss 302 site. Went back there, did a quick look and couldn't find anything. It was a few years ago I heard it.  May be start a new subject over there.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 11:02:29 PM »
Workers there may have been supplied with fender hardware/bolts so that they didn't have to run and chance any that were dropped or lost during the re-installation of the fenders. Those may have been from one of the same suppliers Dearborn used but since they didn't go thru the volume of bolts the assembly plant did they may have only been one style there.

This possibility and/or just workers being human may have produced some of these patterns we see when they re-installed the fender bolts. Guys do some odd things at time to break up the boredom but they often do the same thing over and over so patterns emerge even from these

Just a possibility
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:34:47 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 01:27:14 AM »
the boss 429 fenders were installed & painted at the dearborn plant all BEFORE the b9s were shipped to KK  & the only part painted at KK was larry l painting the fiberglass b9 hood scoops.

Offline bgp429

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 12:31:35 AM »
bgp429  where did u get the info in your post that the fenders were removed  then reinstalled at KK on the b9s ? just curious
The only sites I visit are here and the Boss exchange. Could have assumed the fenders were removed based on the different RSC fender bolt discussion. No intent to mislead.

Offline specialed

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
i got a big metal tray full of fender type bolts from a guy who worked at the KK plant & when i separated them in bags i ended up with 5 different head markings on that type of bolts. They werent building show cars back then & the y didnt bother to make sure all the  bolt head marking matched.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »
They weren't building show cars back then & they didn't bother to make sure all the bolt head marking matched.
One of the most accurate statements made to date.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 05:51:01 PM »
i got a big metal tray full of fender type bolts from a guy who worked at the KK plant & when i separated them in bags i ended up with 5 different head markings on that type of bolts. They werent building show cars back then & the y didnt bother to make sure all the  bolt head marking matched.

As we've discussed here many a time at the car assembly plants we've found the evidence where the transition or overlap of two providers of a specific bolt or hardware were mixed in the bin during transition much like the older food is added to the new batch of food at a buffet (for lack of a better description) creating a mix for a period of time. And I think we've worked to show, when they turn up, the mix of head markings when the data shows up.

Sure that many of us can recall the 80-90's when were often present on the show fields or at auctions with every fender bolt head aligned the exact same way, head markings all aligned with one another, all the valve stems on the wheels at 12 or 6 o'clock and all the hubcap horse level and facing  the same direction - details such as that
Jeff Speegle

Offline sfltjed@302

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 05:01:02 PM »
Armond, For what it's worth, My 70 Dearborn Boss had all matching fender bolts when I bought the car in 1986. They were style number five. The build date was 12-1-1969  OFO2G1362??

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
Re: 70 Dearborn (Dec 69 build) fender bolts
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
Thank you for the info, this car was built Dec 3, two days later.  So I have decided to go with #5.  They are the majority of what was still on the car.  Thanks!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline aussie trev

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »
Hi All, where can you buy the GL bolts(no5) from.  amk kit F2897 lists not available.
thanks trev

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 05:52:03 PM »
Hi All, where can you buy the GL bolts(no5) from.  amk kit F2897 lists not available.
thanks trev

think your going to have to find someone that has disassembled a car or has them sitting around in their hardware bin.  Fairly typical for owners and builders in the US - just going to take someone with the time to look through a bunch to find them with the desired markings. Fully understand that in many other countries this is seen as a luxury. Just picked up a couple of coffee cans )for those who still remember those  8) full of nuts and bolts at a swap meet today, from a Mustang shop. But they all appear to be earlier stuff and likely mostly SJ focused
Jeff Speegle