Author Topic: Rear Tie Down Brackets  (Read 31171 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear Tie Down Brackets
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2018, 10:47:36 PM »
AO Smith cut out that area of the rear valance for the exhaust outlet, so did they apply new/replacement stickers in the fold down plate area?
I believe the Shelby registrar has some factory holding lot photos showing the sticker applied to the rear bumper. That would make sense given the rear valance being cut out.  I will double check and see if I have a copy. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:49:38 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2018, 11:01:13 PM »
I believe the Shelby registrar has some factory holding lot photos showing the sticker applied to the rear bumper. That would make sense given the rear valance being cut out.  I will double check and see if I have a copy.

Figured you would respond and would love to see a picture of it. The interesting thing is that the instruction to apply it on the rear bumper would have had been done by instruction at Dearborn or addition stickers supplied to AO Smith - know we've discussed the subject in the past.  I know we built and showed it that way when we did Dan's GT350 based on the discussions at the time -  just haven't seen it repeated at any show since then that I can recall.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2018, 12:17:03 AM »
Flat washer typically.
My two San Jose Oct 65 builds had a split trapezoid lock washers (34783-S2, 7/16LKW, SPT, 0.446-0.464ID, 0.784OD, 0.121/0.091T, TPZ).
That is what I found and documented a long time ago.
The bolts were the same as those used for bell housing to engine attachment for small block V-8s (64-66). The nuts were the same used for bumper attachment (64-66), all 7/16-14 threads, all common available hardware. After a couple of use cycles (if dealers returned the brackets and hardware), almost anything and in any condition could be reused. I do remember on one car changing from a 7/16-20 bolt and nut to 7/16-14 to be consistent. That was a long time ago.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2018, 12:44:59 AM »
That is what I found and documented a long time ago.
The bolts were the same as those used for bell housing to engine attachment for small block V-8s (64-66). The nuts were the same used for bumper attachment (64-66), all 7/16-14 threads, all common available hardware. After a couple of use cycles (if dealers returned the brackets and hardware), almost anything and in any condition could be reused. I do remember on one car changing from a 7/16-20 bolt and nut to 7/16-14 to be consistent. That was a long time ago.
Jim
Sorry, I got confused and thought you were answering for 69GT350H who is working on a 69 Dearborn car. In that context was what my answer was meant for.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2018, 01:08:48 AM »
Figured you would respond and would love to see a picture of it. The interesting thing is that the instruction to apply it on the rear bumper would have had been done by instruction at Dearborn or addition stickers supplied to AO Smith - know we've discussed the subject in the past.  I know we built and showed it that way when we did Dan's GT350 based on the discussions at the time -  just haven't seen it repeated at any show since then that I can recall.
Well I looked and I don't have a copy . I will have to reach out to Vinnie L. I don't think that the sticker on the bumper would have ever been left in place after pre delivery clean up . My reasoning is that unlike the regular Mustang sticker that is unnoticeable with a license plate in place it was sometimes left untouched. A large white sticker on the chrome rear bumper is VERY noticeable and would be considered as VERY undesirable and be removed on a otherwise cleaned up car ready for customer delivery IMHO.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2018, 02:20:23 AM »
...........After a couple of use cycles (if dealers returned the brackets and hardware), almost anything and in any condition could be reused. ..........

Think that was a big If as far as hardware being returned. Difficult getting the dealers to return just the brackets.  :)

Well I looked and I don't have a copy . I will have to reach out to Vinnie L. I don't think that the sticker on the bumper would have ever been left in place after pre delivery clean up . My reasoning is that unlike the regular Mustang sticker that is unnoticeable with a license plate in place it was sometimes left untouched. ...........

Think we both agree that they did not remain intact as they did on non-Shelby's that year and in turn it makes it difficult to find photo documentation of their placement or use
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2018, 02:23:47 AM »
Think that was a big If as far as hardware being returned. Difficult getting the dealers to return just the brackets.  :)

Think we both agree that they did not remain intact as they did on non-Shelby's that year and in turn it makes it difficult to find photo documentation of their placement or use
Yes in agreement on both counts.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2018, 09:52:27 PM »
I'll add another one to the database... 

This bracket was on my '67 Mustang that I purchased in 1982.  Shortly after I bought the car, I noticed a very loud screech in the back every time I would go over railroad tracks or any sizable bump in the road.  I quickly discovered that the tie-down bracket on the driver's side had been bent, and it was rubbing against the rear leaf spring (that's what caused the scuff marks that are visible between the 6" and 8" markings on the tape measure).

The bracket was definitely painted black - it looks to be the same type of thin black paint that was used on seat frames - and the car was a 390, dual-exhaust Fastback (7R02S193473) built in San Jose on March 28, 1967.  I left the passenger side bracket on the car, and it was still there when I sold the car in 1986...

I'm late to this discussion but I thought it was interesting that my SJ car, dated 3/2/67, has this exact same tie down, bolts (not sure on markings as the bolt is in the soup) and black paint.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2018, 11:07:45 PM »
Locking the subject because it is just getting way too long of a thread for others to find details related to their specific car.  Findings and discussions can be posted in threads already started ( or start a new one if there isn't one focusing on your year and plant)  for that purpose.

Just trying to keep things neat and cut down the confusion  ::)
Jeff Speegle