Author Topic: Need some internal Ford help; 1994 Cobra SVT Build #13  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Cobra Jet

Need some internal Ford help; 1994 Cobra SVT Build #13
« on: May 12, 2020, 03:01:07 PM »
Hi All,

I hope this can get some visibility here and apologize in advance for the length, but it?s worth the reading...

I'm not new to Mustangs or related forums; I've owned many and belong to many forums under similar or same user ID where I?ve helped others with a fair share of tech or helpful info when others seek it (even on this site).

I own a 1994 SVT Cobra coupe and I'm the 2nd owner of the vehicle. When I purchased the car in 2004, I was already familiar with the SVT Cobra linage and knew about the limited production runs, SVT Certs etc. because I had also owned a prior 1996 Cobra w/SVT Cert and a quite a few years before, 2 of my friends had each purchased new 1993 Cobras (red and teal).

So when I bought the 94, it didn't have the original SVT Cert. Since I was already aware of the SVT limited production runs, I never really bothered or cared to know the SVT Build number or trying to acquire the SVT Cert. Fast forward into a few years of ownership and out of pure curiosity, I called the Ford Performance line and the Rep. asked for the registration info. Once I gave the info to confirm and verify my ownership, he told me the SVT Build number was 13.  When I said, "oh you mean like, 1,300" he said "no, number 13, as in zero-zero-one-three". Needless to say I was shocked and I ordered the SVT Cert.

Literally for years now, I've researched my freaking head off and googled the internet so hard, I'm surprised it has any google left... I have continually posted on a number of Mustang Cobra forums, various Ford Mustang forums seeking info not only about my Cobra, but the whereabouts of the 1994 SVT builds 0001-0012.

The response received from Ford was they told me how I could get the SVT Cert (already knew that) and had no other info to offer. SVT of the time pretty much gave me the same type of response. I'm sure both responses were from folks who just didn't understand my request or just gave canned responses.

A couple of years back I had started keeping a log of every 94 Cobra I came across online in forums, on eBay, in car ads, etc. I've documented 1994 VINs and SVT build numbers (where and when present). I had even reached out to Bob Lyons who had the original 1993 SVT Cobra Registry and joined the 1993 Cobra Registry forum inquiring to no avail. Heck, I even posted on the Saleen sites, SVO sites and even the SSP Police Mustang sites just to see if anyone on other limited edition forums was able to help.

In my log of over 252 1994 Cobras, I had located SVT # 0008 in Georgia and it was a Cobra Pace Car. SVT Build #0014 was another Cobra Pace Car, but was also confirmed as a total loss wreck. I also located the 1995 Cobra R prototype in Michigan, which was built from a 1994 Cobra (VIN 1FALP42D6RF113158 and was 1 of 3 prototypes built by Jack Roush).

The questions I've been seeking answers to and need help with are:
1) Where are the 94 SVT Builds 0001-0007 and 0009-0012 - are they still in existence today, if so what States do they reside in and in what condition?

2) The 94 Cobra Pace Cars are separate from the coupe production by VIN designation. Is mine one of the (or THE) lowest surviving 94 Cobra coupe - because from what I can tell and have seen over the last 17 years of ownership, I've not found and no one has ever posted anything online about SVT Builds 0001-0012, ever.  I even have Tom Schreiner's and Pete Sessler's SVT Mustang Cobra Recognition Guide (1993-2000) that was published in 1999 and again, no mention of any other info or data for any early build 1994s...  I have a library of other Mustang books and there's hardly no info in any regarding SN95 Cobra production information.

3) How or where can I get a copy of the original window sticker (or replica)?

4) Is it common that such a low build number from a limited production run is sold to the public?

5) Is it possible the car was used for any ad campaigns during late 1993 or early 1994?  Was it a fleet vehicle?

My Cobra is numbers matching from front to rear. It retains all VIN decals on all body panels. It retains the original drivetrain and has the BUC tag affixed to the radiator core support. Not only is it SVT Build #13, but my VIN is also the lowest I've seen (to date) for any 1994 Cobra and it's even a lower VIN by 14,000+ consecutive units than that of SVT Build 0008 mentioned above which is VIN 158053.

My BUC tag has a Mo/Day of 0124 and the B-pillar VCL is 01/94. The SVT Cert has a Build Date as 03/04/1994 at the Dearborn Assembly Plant. Is that a final assembly build date on the Cert, because I don't understand how it's not matching the BUC or VCL dating matrix?

Also to note,
94 Cobras, which were Ford paint code "E8" were said in Dealer literature to be "Rio Red". On my BUC tag next to the paint code E8, it?s stamped 'VERM', for what would be Vermillion Red. This has also peaked my curiosity... IIRC, wasn't there a batch of 93 Cobras which were painted "Vermillion" Red, instead of the known Vibrant Red? Were all 94 BUC tags stamped 'VERM' for paint code E8 instead of being Rio Red?

I've literally exhausted all of my efforts and don't know who else to ask about SVT Mustang Cobra history. I also stopped the logging of 94s, because it was turning into an obsession (LOL). I wasn't getting any closer to earlier 94 SVT Build Numbers and was not gaining any of the answers I am seeking.

If ANYONE has any Ford Contacts, SVT Contacts or any information at all about the early 1994 Cobras for me, please do feel free to pass along my quest or have them contact me via this site.

I'm determined to find more info about my 94 and the whereabouts of SVT Build #s 0001-0007 and 0009-0012.

Thanks,
Phil
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:09:29 AM by Cobra Jet »
- Phil
1994 Cobra coupe SVT Build #0013

Offline cobrajet_carl

Re: Need some “Ford” help; 1994 Cobra #13
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 06:58:37 PM »
So Marti doesn't have anything?
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline Cobra Jet

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 09:04:43 PM »
Hi Carl,

I have not tried Marty - only for the mere fact that I already know all of the “decoded” info, 1994 Cobra production counts for Coupes and total breakouts by color/options.

What I’m seeking is more or less info as:
1) How were the early SN95 Cobras used  (which ones were used for early campaigns, test drives, editorial testing etc)

2) What has happened to the 1994 SVT Build #’s 0001-0007 and 0009-0012?  Where they crushed, are they in the hands of private owners?

3) Is mine the lowest coupe survivor - because I have not been able to locate those mentioned above, and my BUC/VCL is an extremely early build date - plus my VIN is the lowest I have seen for any existing 1994 Cobras.

What I need is someone who knows someone who maybe worked at a Ford during the time period or with SVT that can offer some historical information about the 1994/95 Cobra production run.  This info is absent from many Mustang books.

- Phil

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 01:43:59 AM »
Marti might be able to shed some light on 1) based on the order type.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline Cobra Jet

Re: Need some internal Ford help; 1994 Cobra SVT Build #13
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 07:13:16 PM »
Still searching for info about the early 1994 SVT Mustang Cobras.  If anyone has any info, please feel free to post in this thread or PM me on here.
- Phil