Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

67-70 Trunk Wheel Well Lip Luggage Protector Strip

(1/6) > >>

J_Speegle:
Looking for input from owners who have their original strips still with their car. Helping out a member determining what color (black or gray) was used at which factories and time periods. If you have one - Could you please post

- When and where your car was built (VIN or just data will work)

- Body type

- Type/Color

- Length of the strip

For you unfamiliar with the strip, it was glued over the raised edge formed when the inner and outer rear wheel wells were welded together on the drivers side of the trunk. Don't want to use this thread to collect 65-66 data or the fuel wire retainer. Some of that has been done in other threads.

Here is a picture of an example of a black style

Here is a picture of a gray one

THANKS

J_Speegle:
Guess no one has found the time during this busy holiday period  but here is what I found after digging through a bunch of pictures.

sah62:
Jeff, do you know if this is the same material/profile that was used to provide a "pad" for the rear louvers on 1969 and 1970 sportsroofs? It it is, I have a good amount of the black material on-hand and can probably get the same material in gray.

Brian Conway:
Over all length is a bit over 11" and grey in color.  Brian

specialed:
scott  different material than louvers seal . I sent an original grey luggage strip to chris brown to have made since the grey is hard to find & often missing . He sent me a sample & they are excellent  but we are trying to figure out which cars got the grey vs more common black luggage protector so we know the concours correct market to sell the grey strips to  as the common black has been repoed years ago & show up on later cars being wrong color until now we have the concours correct grey to sell. Also tring to get the correct length  for year & body & from all my examples 69-70 (don't have any 68s) the 69 -70 fastback around 8 1/2" 69-70 coupe & convertible around 10 1/2" .  & I have never seen any black (original cars anyway) on any (Dearborn anyway) cars after 68.  These strips are glued on yellow glue & if not glued in place probly someone added them later so check for glue signs when documenting these cars.   Odd thing about this running color change from black to grey luggage strip protectors is the opposite on the battery heat shields since they had a running change from grey to black color!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version