Author Topic: Rebuilt Power Brake Booster Issue?  (Read 685 times)

1967 eight barrel

Rebuilt Power Brake Booster Issue?
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:18:59 PM »
I had Booster Steve rebuild my booster and my engine supplies about 14 inches of vacuum at idle and the pedal feels relatively hard. I sent the booster back and was told there were no issues. However, to my recollection the pedal was relatively soft when the brakes were applied. The front pads and rear shoes are new and adjusted as they should be, which usually makes the pedal feel firm with little movement. Is that the experience of others, or should I suspect the booster isn't functioning correctly?

-Keith

Offline preaction

Re: Rebuilt Power Brake Booster Issue?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
Bill, I had a similar issue as your describing and I found that going to a set of Hawk semi metallic pads made the braking  less "hard" and smoother overall.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 04:14:05 PM »
Keith,
I replaced my Midland-Ross booster a few years ago and got a softer pedal and longer stroke.
It turned out to be the rod adjustment was out of spec. Fixed it with the help of the 67 Mustang
shop manual and everything was okay.
Texas Swede

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 12:25:14 AM »
After much deliberation and checking my work I found the issue. When the grommet was installed during the rebuild it must have rolled and wasn't sealing around the vacuum check valve.  Sometimes the answers are the simplest and you can't always assume that the re-manufacturer/ builder wasn't having a "Monday". 
All is well in the land of boosters.
                                                -Keith

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
Great you were able to fix it.
Texas Swede