Author Topic: Best repro Front /Rear bumpers 1967  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
Best repro Front /Rear bumpers 1967
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:32:10 AM »
Hello,
I'm looking for a pair of new bumpers 67.

Would be great to receive some information about the best manufacturer and supplier source.

ACP, Scott Drake....

I know, rechroming might be an alternative, but really expensive. Therefor I'm considering a repop.

Thanks alot.

Ralf
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:46:15 AM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline ruppstang

Re: Best repro Front /Rear bumpers 1967
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »
I consider them all junk. If you are building a concours car you need to rechrome. Yes it is expensive but it is more expensive to buy a repop then to replace it with a proper fitting rechromed date coded original. JMHOP

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »
I bought repo bumpers for my 67 T/A coupe.I would not consider them junk but it is a all day event to fit them.The back bumper is straight and it should not be.They look nice but not correct.The car is a replica of a race car so it doesn't matter.My 68 fastback has oem bumpers and all oem brackets.

A sign of the times when you can buy a set of bumpers for half the price of rechroming one oem bumper.Unless its a daily driver I would not recommend the repo's..JMO

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 03:17:10 PM »
The older Nordan bumpers were ok, but for concours level, best to have original rechrome or NOS.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
I consider them all junk

+1

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »
Hello,
I'm looking for a pair of new bumpers 67.

Would be great to receive some information about the best manufacturer and supplier source.

ACP, Scott Drake....

I know, rechroming might be an alternative, but really expensive. Therefor I'm considering a repop.

Thanks alot.

Ralf
Considering the other nuance detail parts and their cost that you have tried to get for other areas of your car, the repro bumper question seems out of character for you and your build relative to the cost involved . A bumper is a extremely visible item. A poorly fitting repro sticks out like a sore thumb on a other wise nice exterior.  If you are going to save money save it on less visible items  IMO. 400.00-600.00 is a fairly common range of price for re chroming a bumper here. How much more is it where you are at?   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ralf

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 05:19:42 AM »
Thanks for your comments, highly appreciated.
All of you are perfectly right and if OEM parts are available to rechrome or even NOS parts. I'm not certain if my bumpers are OEM or have been replaced to NOS in a certain moment of time.

Re-chroming in Germany will be very difficult.

1. price which is about your range, but in €.
2. companies are refusing to rechrome such big parts

However, if to consider a repro part, which manufacturer/supplier would fit best, best as possible?

Thank you and a "Happy New Year".

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 07:34:10 AM »
Thanks for your comments, highly appreciated.
All of you are perfectly right and if OEM parts are available to rechrome or even NOS parts. I'm not certain if my bumpers are OEM or have been replaced to NOS in a certain moment of time.

Re-chroming in Germany will be very difficult.

1. price which is about your range, but in €.
2. companies are refusing to rechrome such big parts

However, if to consider a repro part, which manufacturer/supplier would fit best, best as possible?

Thank you and a "Happy New Year".

Do know that there are a number of good companies in Poland and even in Sweden!

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 10:44:59 AM »
You might consider buying NOS or replated  bumpers in the US and shipping them to Germany.

Offline Ralf

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
You might consider buying NOS or replated  bumpers in the US and shipping them to Germany.

What would be a "fair" price for a pair of NOS (or nice/replated OEM)?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 12:47:39 PM »
What would be a "fair" price for a pair of NOS (or nice/replated OEM)?

Typical "good enough to use" NOS bumpers as little as $250 each if lucky, (I just saw a pair sell last week on ebay for this little) but they also sell as high as $500 each, all PLUS shipping and shipping is a huge cost too.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »
$800 for pair US for plating. Usually you can find original cores for $100 each. NOS often cost more and still need replating to be show quality.

Offline Ralf

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »
Ok, so I'll do some more search.

Btw.
Saw NPD's bumpers and description. They argue to sell the best quality (chrome and fitment) available, around $ 140 pp.

NOS often cost more and still need replating to be show quality.

This is what I heard from some guys here in GER as well that NOS parts even worse in chrome than repops.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:15:51 PM by Ralf »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 06:06:35 PM »
Saw NPD's bumpers and description. They argue to sell the best quality (chrome and fitment) available, around $ 140 pp.

Not knocking the guys at NPD but considering that is a comparative measurement it may nor mean much. Sort of like describing a baseball player as being the best of the worst

This is what I heard from some guys here in GER as well that NOS parts even worse in chrome than repops.

Original chrome was not the show chrome we are use to today but most of the comments/complaints are about the reproductions are focused on fit and form.  Also consider we're judging the plating with 2018 eyes and these things have been stored in all kinds of conditions, moved hundreds of times, dropped, chaffed and so on for over 50 years.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »
To answer the reproduction question as well as I can, I offer my experience. My customers refuse to pay re-chrome prices on street driven restorations, so we go with the best quality reproductions we can find. Dynacorn used to have the best bumper for the money but lately they no longer make their own and are relabeling a companies bumper (we will just use the initials B.O.I.) that are just awful! Horrible! On the current project (68 Sprint "B" coupe)in our shop, we tried Scott Drake bumper and they fit perfectly, have very nice chrome compared to NOS bumpers that I have seen and the rear has that slight curvature that follows the rear panel that others lack. I am very happy with it. The customer is very satisfied with the finish. I do not know if Drake actually makes the bumpers ( they are hush hush about certain items) or has a specific supplier but they are very nice. The front can give a bit of trouble unless you leave the frame brackets loose and tighten them to the frame rails last. hope this helps.  Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built