Author Topic: C4 and I6 engine installation  (Read 619 times)

Offline Shineycarb

C4 and I6 engine installation
« on: February 07, 2022, 09:14:10 AM »
Hello all, this is my first post.
My question is in regards to a 68 plain jane coupe with a C4 trans and 200 engine.  Both units are fresh from the rebuilders and I'm getting ready to install them.  Is it easier to assemble trans and engine as one unit and install or is it easier to install trans, then the engine separately?  I will be using a beam mounted chain hoist to lift and drop her (gently) into place.  The engine bay is completely empty, no radiator and hood will be removed...there is no exhaust system either.  Didn't Ford, on the assembly line, install the engine and trans as one unit?  I have installed 2 V8s in the past, both transmissions and exhaust were already in the car.  A follow up question is.....should the exhaust system be put in after the engine and trans are in, or should it be in place when i install engine/transmission?  Any other hints for this trans/engine install would be helpful.  Thanx, Dave.

Offline ruppstang

Re: C4 and I6 engine installation
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 09:35:08 AM »
Welcome Dave, there is a lot of help and information here.

I think it is easier to install any engine with the transmission than separately. It is helpful to have a helper under the car to guide the tail shaft. A floor jack is also helpful under the transmission until you can install the crossmember. Be sure to prime the oil pump before starting it the first time. I do not think that the exhaust needs to be in place first. The most difficult part of the exhaust is getting it over the rear axel if you do not have a lift. Good luck and may be post some pictures in the members builds section.   

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 10:16:10 AM »
i have done many just the way marty suggested. just work slowly & carefully. you'll be fine.
5F09C331248

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 11:35:49 AM »
I agree--easier to do them connected as one unit.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 01:00:14 PM »
My question is in regards to a 68 plain jane coupe with a C4 trans and 200 engine.  -  Is it easier to assemble trans and engine as one unit and install or is it easier to install trans, then the engine separately?  I will be using a beam mounted chain hoist to lift and drop her (gently) into place.
An overhead beam will usually work for assembled engines and transmissions. Using a "standard" engine hoist, I couldn't get the vertical clearance, so the transmission went in first.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 01:52:48 PM »
As an aside I really like using chain hoists since they allow for very fine up and down adjustments. Hydraulic rams tend to bounce the arm, hence the engine. If you really screw up they can let the engine down way too fast.
The bad side of chain hoists are the chains getting in the way.

Not everyone has the headroom to use a chain hoist.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 07:25:41 PM »
I prefer installing the transmission first, then the engine. That way the hood doesn't need to be removed. I work entirely by myself normally. With an I-6 if the hood is already off then I would likely do it one piece.

I bought the complete Scott Fuller reproduction exhaust system for my 428CJ. It took maybe 15 minutes to install with the rest of the car basically done. Pricey though - around $4K with shipping for the 428CJ system, clamps and hangers.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock