Author Topic: 67 S-code GT Dearborn Engine and Compartment decals  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Jaybart68

67 S-code GT Dearborn Engine and Compartment decals
« on: March 05, 2019, 02:30:44 AM »
I was looking around to see if this was already answered but could not find it. Iā€™m looking to figure out which decals are needed in the engine compartment and where decals go in my 67 Dearborn dec 22, 1966 built 390 GT, non emissions (DSO 41), 4-speed manual fastback.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:37:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jay Barthel

1967 (12/22/66, Dearborn GT Fastback, 390-4V, DSO 41, 4 speed manual, standard black interior, ext. Decor, Raven Black, +options)

Offline Jaybart68

Re: 67 S-code GT Dearborn Engine and Compartment decals
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »
For less confusion and to cast a wider net you should probably add a change to your heading description to "Engine compartment decals" If I understand the point of this thread. There is a big difference in numbers between the Engine and the Engine compartment. ;)

Good point. And yes, engine compartment is what I meant so I updated the title and body accordingly.

Thanks,

Jay
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:38:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jay Barthel

1967 (12/22/66, Dearborn GT Fastback, 390-4V, DSO 41, 4 speed manual, standard black interior, ext. Decor, Raven Black, +options)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:36:54 PM »
I altered the title also to cover both bases ;)

Well first step would be to NOT purchase one of the decal "kits" for your application. Instead its best if you purchase individual and higher quality decals/stickers if your looking to be as close as possible to the original look.   Don't know where Bob's response went but we'll look at both engine and engine compartment ones - in those two groupings.

Going to take a few posts to process through this ;) for your 67 Dearborn dec 22, 1966 built 390 GT, non emissions (DSO 41), 4-speed manual fastback

First we have engine decals or stickers. These should be pretty much the same as any other S code equipped 4 speed engine built around the same time as yours no matter the car assembly plant.

- Air cleaner CU decal

Both decals mentioned above - Sorry had to use pictures or restored cars and repo decals . Nice unrestored examples are difficult to find

- Air filter replacement decal -  a very small rectangle white sticker with a black print and border has been found on other S codes built in Dec 66 . Don't why they didn't use the new cool looking Autolite stickers for this purpose like they did on other sized engines. Maybe just not enough room due to the two large holes cut out of the air cleaner base.

One repo one original. Both show the decal but two different locations depending on which of the many styles your car originally came with. Have seen one on the snorkel style between the snorkel and the breather tube for others reading this thread

- Engine ID sticker- Passenger side front surface of the cylinder head

- And lastly, if I didn't miss one, the clear sticker placed on the fuel filter attached to the Holley carb

Believe that is all there was for engine specific decals.  This engine type and production period.

Hope this helps. Will get on the engine compartment ones next to finish up your request.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:50:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Jaybart68

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:20:20 AM »
Excellent! Thank you so much!
Jay Barthel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 05:06:13 PM »
The engine compartment stickers and decals would be common between all Dearborn built Mustangs built around the same times as yours taking into consideration of workers (one on each shift per task) individual habits and tendencies as best we can 50 years later :)

With that we should have the following

- Service specification sticker shock tower. For others this location appears to have changed later in the production year to the passenger side shock tower.

- Master cylinder brake fluid warning label.  Your car would not have had the red paint mark on the PB booster originally so please ignore that in the example. Also used an example from a Shelby so there are other things in the picture you will need to ignore - Just focus on the detail being discussed

- Battery inspection sticker Often above or above and forward of the starter relay.  Most likely the blue print version. On paper sticker with no clear top layer applied

- Misc inspector stickers on the cowl above the cowl to firewall pinch weld. These would be small square cornered stickers with large red or black letters and sometimes an additional number. On paper sticker with no clear top layer applied. For this year and plant have seen where the inspector wrote their ID number on the sticker before they applied it to the car for accountability. Looks to be black ink which would be period correct

As always - Hope this helps

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:13:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 12:54:02 PM »
Looking to buy a set of the paint inspection decals but all the ones I see available online are all black. In the example shown two of the decals have red lettering. Where can I find the correct style for 1968?

Here's an example of what I find available everywhere: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-1971-FORD-MUSTANG-OR-MACH-1-PAINT-OK-DECAL-STICKER-SET-OF-4-PIECES/362551664906?hash=item5469c3610a:g:0pkAAOxyY7FRCfOe

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline BKnapp

Bill

ā€˜67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
ā€˜67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »
Looking to buy a set of the paint inspection decals but all the ones I see available online are all black. In the example shown two of the decals have red lettering. Where can I find the correct style for 1968?

If you want one like the originals (paper based) or ones that represent different colors used on different stickers and applied at Dearborn in 67 you can make your own.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Muneratto

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 09:17:12 PM »
Hello guys,

What would then be the correct dimensions of these square stickers? Considering to make my own...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 10:33:20 PM »
Hello guys,

What would then be the correct dimensions of these square stickers? Considering to make my own...

Already have a pattern with letters made I can share. That way you don't have to draw or design the fonts.  Doesn't have any indicators for the cut outs or the name depending on what year their going on

Will dig out the pattern and figure out the easiest way to post and where on the site

If you don't have a system for the adhesive that can be an issue (check out the thread on making you own paper stickers on this site) since many will not hold up well over time or will leave residue that can collect dirt and lint along the edges
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 01:35:42 PM »
Isn't the air cleaner's "390 High Performance" sticker a vanity creation?

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=24532.msg153000#msg153000
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 12:18:23 AM »
Isn't the air cleaner's "390 High Performance" sticker a vanity creation?

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=24532.msg153000#msg153000

Believe that is the current belief by some or many. There are some period pictures that suggest that no sticker was applied for a while at least and some did not fit the curvature of the 390 lid that year

Osborne did sell at least a couple of engine decals that were not original to the Mustang or application but continued to sell them "because people bought them"

While we're revisiting this thread and subject people reading this should also be aware that the other versions of the air cleaner used on 390 4V's in 67 had different air cleaner decals than those shown in this thread
Jeff Speegle