1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Voltage Regulator Star Washers

(1/4) > >>

ChrisV289:
Anyone have a pic of what these look like?  They are not included in the hardware kit from NPD and they were recently added to the 2018 judging rules

jwc66k:
Use of a part number (found in the Mustang Electrical Assembly Manuals) would help. It's 34940-S36, and is shown in AMK, but they only sell the -S8 (clear zinc) as a single item.
Jim

ChrisV289:
Hi Jim,

Is that also used on the ground strap as well? I'm on my phone since I am at work and unable to view the spreadsheets efficiently

Chris

CharlesTurner:
There are 3 ground points for 65-66 engine bay harnesses where tooth washers are used... 1 at the voltage regulator, one at the firewall ground and one at the rad support in the corner by the battery.  The original washers had a wide tooth pattern, which are somewhat difficult to find. 

Also, note that the tooth washer goes on the screw last before installation, I see this installed incorrectly on a lot of show cars... although I probably see more show cars completely missing the washers.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: ChrisV289 on January 05, 2018, 01:49:49 PM ---Is that also used on the ground strap as well?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: caspian65 on January 05, 2018, 04:23:32 PM ---There are 3 ground points for 65-66 engine bay harnesses where tooth washers are used... 1 at the voltage regulator, one at the firewall ground and one at the rad support in the corner by the battery.

--- End quote ---
As stated, yes. All three are 34940-S36 for 65 and 66. The difference for 1964 Mustangs is a -S8 finish. Apparently Ford changed the finish to facilitate conductivity.

--- Quote from: caspian65 on January 05, 2018, 04:23:32 PM ---The original washers had a wide tooth pattern, which are somewhat difficult to find. 

--- End quote ---
Quite possible, I have a few of those on the shelf. Typically they referred to as "9 tooth" as used for 64; 65 and up are 12 tooth. The "technician" in me said use a new one and the ones I took off my 65 and 66 cars were the of the 12 tooth variety.

--- Quote from: caspian65 on January 05, 2018, 04:23:32 PM ---Also, note that the tooth washer goes on the screw last before installation, I see this installed incorrectly on a lot of show cars...

--- End quote ---
The theory is multiple contact points on grounds, as in between the ring lug and the body. The external toth lock washer is not used to retain the screw.

--- Quote from: caspian65 on January 05, 2018, 04:23:32 PM ---.. although I probably see more show cars completely missing the washers.

--- End quote ---
Without a guide or drawing, it is simply forgotten. The Mustang Assembly Manuals do have a use.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version